Page 2: Ironclad metallics; Finished Ironclad and Apothecary
Page 3: Finished Sword Knights; Finished Centurion and Lancer
Page 5: Kromac the Ravenous
Page 6: Woldwarden; eNemo and Journeylady
Page 7: Black Dragon Tactical Squad, WIP sculpting Baldur
Page 8: Finished Woldwatcher
Page 9: WIP Blackclad Wayfarer; Finished Blackclad Wayfarer
Page 10: Epic Kaya & Laris, and Sweey Todd
Page 11: Captain Taal, and Tharn Ravagers; Cygnar (Stryker, Strangeways, Squire, Charger and Wrecks)
Page 12: Red Karnagh base
Page 14: Red Karnagh WIP1, and Baldur the Stonecleaver
Page 15: The Three Hunters, WIP Truescale World Eater, WIP Gnarlhorn Satyr, WIP Snikrot
Page 16: WIP Gnarlhorn Satyr (finished metals)
Page 17: Finished Gnarlhorn Satyr, Snikrot's lighting finished, touchups walkthrough; Wolves of Orboros, WIP Krueger the Stormlord
Page 18: Krueger the Stormlord, WIP World Eater
Page 19: Finished (again) Krueger, and painting WIP World Eater; Finished World Eater
Page 20: Truescale Imperial Fist (Green)
Page 21: Woldstalkers and stoneward, and the Iron Liche Asphixious
Page 22: Aesir the Raven, Megalith and friends
Page 23: Middenheim Warband, Arwen Evenstar and a Warwolf
Page 24: Ol' Rowdy and apologies; The Black 13th
Page 25: Mohsar the Desertwalker
Page 26: Mule/Mariner warjack conversion, WIP Night Goblin Shaman, and WIP Shadowhorn Satyr
Page 27: Finished Shadowhorn Satyr
Page 28: Night Goblin Shaman, Stormsmiths, Sentinel, and ToP update
Page 29: Bloodtrackers, Bloodweavers, various Solos and casters, and Skorne
Page 30: Druids of Orboros, ETC army and spell effects
Page 31: Minion Lesser Warlocks and Warbeasts
Page 32: Woldguardian; Warpwolf Stalker & WIP Cygnar bits n bobs
Page 33: Scythean
Page 34: Extreme Warpwolf stages 1-6
Page 36: Warpwolf Stalker, Extreme Warpwolf (again), Kara Sloan, Stormclad, Defender, Cyclone

Hello there fellas and ladies, figured it was about time I consolidate my efforts into one thread that I can try and keep track of, rather than lots of confused small ones, that all fizzle out after about a week and a half...

So, this is going to contain my various projects, ongoing or one-off, tabletop or contest, for fun or for prizes!

So, stuff on at the moment:
Slowly working though my Circle army for Hordes.
Starting a 'tale of 4 gamers only in warmachine' style thing for my local club, using Cygnar.
Plotting and planning a Chaos Mortals army, for the new release...
...And of course, showing that pesky Kuffy who is boss in our traditional, bi-annual "lets paint each other to death" contest, painting up 2k of Marines (Black Dragons again, yay!).

First port of call is that damn dwarf. The Black Dragons will see the field of battle again!
As I'm probably going to be using the new Marine codex, when it comes out (new shiny toys!), I don't really have an exact plan of my 2k yet.
I know a selection of stuff I want, and adding it up (guestimating points using the current 'dex etc) it's a fair whack over 2k, but it's what I'm going to try to do:
  • Captain with either Lightning Claws or a Relic Blade
  • 3-4 ten man Tactical Squads, with varying load-outs.
  • 8-10 man Dragon Claw Squad (possibly vanguard veterans?)
  • 8-10 man Sternguard Squad in Drop Pod
  • 10 man Devastator Squad (again, not sure on load out, maybe 4 MLs, maybe using combat squads more)
  • Dreadnought with flamer-y style weapons (Multi-Melta/Heavy Flamers), in Drop Pod
  • 2-3 Land Speeders (unsure on weapons again)
  • 8-10 man scout squad, probably with Tellion leading, as I love the mini to death.
  • 5 Terminators (quite ornate, probably with 'heresy-style' armour, as I really like making it).
  • ...and possibly a Land Raider Redeemer, and some more characters along the way (Librarians look awesome!).

Now, I don't want this army to be on the same bases as the old fellas.
I'm considering the same desert bases as my Tau (Khemri Brown, drybrushed bleached bone), as it is still a nice contrast, and there are some nice desert tables at WHW that I would fit onto, but outside of there and my FLGS, they are probably a little thin on the ground (desert tables, that is).
So, another option is a more traditional brown-y plus grass, which certainly fits in more, but is less cool.
Something else that gives me some nice modelling options is doing some ruins, as in a ruined city. However, this generally wouldn't contrast well with my black armour (which I think is a bit of a must, for a marine army), so I'm open to colour scheme ideas for ruins...

So then, my first question of you is thus...
Black Dragon basing, should it be:
a) Desert style (Khemri, Bleached Bone);
b) Boring style (Scorched, Khemri, Khaki, Grass); or
c) City ruins style (suggest a colour scheme!)

Ta to everyone for reading, and I'm hoping to have some pics of some (slightly converted) Black Reach Tactical Marines, plus some PP stuff for you on weds!

-t.

See less See more
#5 ·
In terms of your basing, could you use option C (the city ruins) but on a Mars-like planet?

I'm not sure if I can explain it properly, but the idea that popped into my head was that it was a city that was fairly well destroyed and a lot of the wreckage has since been covered by red sand, so you only get bits of girders and concrete sticking out of the sand.

Of course it doesn't have to be red sand, you could just use your desert scheme or something else of your choosing.

I like the vine idea as well, though.

Best of luck painting that dwarf to death!

#7 ·
OK, well, it wasn't on weds.
And it isn't space marines.

But I do have pics!
And millions of them!

Let's start off with my newest wallet-draining passtime, Warmachine.
Cygnar, the blue dudes with lots of electricity and such like.

I thought I'd enter my Ironclad into the basing/weathered contest in the main forum, as I intend it to be a 'pre-awoken' version of the new character 'jack Ol' Rowdy...

...And here is the base, without several tons of iron standing on top of it:

The idea for this one is that it is during the Caspia Invasions, street fighting through cygnar's capital city. As the universe is pretty solidly steam-punk and iron inspired, I decided that I'd do a somewhat victorian style street, but the edge of the pavement is going to be an iron ledge, rather than some silly, easily eroded stone...

And to go with Ol' Rowdy, here is Captain Arlan Strangeways, who is also rather heavily converted from the standard 'just chilling out with my wrench' pose.
I think he's either sizing up some repairs, or deciding exactly where he's going to smack an enemy 'jack to cause maximum damage...

Next up, and sticking to PP for the moment, here is my finally finished second Woldwarden, who had to be re-posed really.
The painted version is the original, un-modified one, and the metal/GS one is the newly finished addition to the family.

Continuing the Circle vibe, here is another Wold, this time a Woldwyrd, a creation designed to hunt magic-users of all types...

And finally for some good, old fashioned GW minis.
In this case, a trio of chaos ogres, converted from Ironguts.

...and that's me done for today.
I'm planning on painting the Assault on Black Reach tactical squad tomorrow, so hopefully I'll get some pics of them in a day or so...

Ta guys, lemme know what you reckon.

-t.

#8 ·
Good job.

Good job. You have some nice stuff here. I think I may have to investigate some of those PP models when I am done with the hundreds of figures I have yet to get through in the cupboard of doom.

I like the guy with the wrench, where can I find an image of the original. I want to be able to savour the alterations. At the moment it looks pretty original. Which is a good thing.

#9 ·
The original mini looks like *this*.

There is a piece of art of him in Warmachine: Legends, which was the inspiration for the conversion, as he looks freaking bad-ass in the art, and a bit meh in the mini...

-t.

#11 ·
*is feeling a bit better about this challenge*

:p

Some nice stuff there, my one-eyed friend. Not bad. Never really looked into anything but GW, mainly because I don't play GW let alone anything else! But, perhaps when I have time and money, I'll see about picking something up for painting purposes. They look fancy. Nice work on the conversions as well. =)

Did thou worketh Games Day this year or not?

Let me see those marines. I will keep up my words. 25 Orks, with photos, by Friday. I need more money for this army. =/

Kuffy

#13 ·
Another week, another update!
Just pics of the Ironclad this time, my tactical squad is progressing slowly, but feels very much like a chore, whereas I'm really loving painting this 6-ton behemoth...

Anyway, I'm all finished with his metallics, I believe this is about 4ish hours work in total, and I'm very happy with them.
There are a few areas I might go back and pick out (some of the scratches and dents on the shoulder balls have been a little over-run with my oil effects), but generally he's looking as beat up and in need of some time in the workshop as I want him to look...

Enough talk, pics!

What does everyone think?
Answers on a postcard, as per ususal...

=)

-t.

#16 ·
Well, another week, another update!
I've finished off the Ironclad, and he is up over *here*, but I'll give you a sneaky peek here:

I also finally finished that Apothecary diorama/objective that I started soooo long ago!
Well, not quite finished, I realised that I wanted to add blood effects, so I better get onto that...

Thoughts?

Anyway, I've also entered the new Tale of Painters, with both my Marines, and my Circle, who I've been buying models for, and not painting (argh!).
200pts and 100pts per month, respectively, should be manageable.

For Hordes, I'm planning the Gnarlhorn and my extra Wold as my first 2 100pt chunks, then either Krueger or Baldur, with either the Blackclad or the Ravager White Mane in month 3, the Woldwatcher and the other solo in month 4, then finally the unit of Ravagers plus UA in month 5 (though I may well change the timing around).

For the Marines, I think I'm gonna be doing stuff I like the look of, more than will make a good army, as I'm hoping to be doing more than 1k over the next 6 months, and would like the ToP project to be an inspiration to keep having fun...

Anyway, no solid list for either just yet, but I'll try and get one up sometime soon.

Byeee!

-t.

#17 ·
I like the Ironclad, especially the blues and blacks, but I feel like the metallics are a little dark. The battle damage / weathering looks very convincing and again, the blue looks superb.

The diorama is also spot on. My favorite part is the exploded right shoulder pad; the damaged troop logo just adds a ton of character to an already really nice model.

#20 ·
The blues were just layered up from Dark Prussia Blue ( VMC050 ) to Dark Blue ( VMC053 ), with a tiny bit of Sky Blue ( VMC067 ) added for the final highlights and the rivets, and then the segments were blacklined.
All told, the blue only took about 2 hours, from primed to finished, which I'm really happy with. I'm looking forward to trying it out on my other 'jacks (I've got a Centurion and a Lancer still to paint, and maybe a Charger if I think I'll ever use it).

The metallics are a bit brighter in real life, despite the dullcote bringing them down a lot (although this was a good thing in the case of the Quake Hammer, I think).
I can never seem to get metallics to photograph accurately, I guess it's all the reflective metally bits in the pigment.

Nevermind.
I'm going to start work on a unit of Sword Knights today, and hopefully make a bit more progress on the Tactical Squad I'm slowly ploughing through...

-t.

#21 ·
Hey, whaddayaknow?
More painting!
Yay!

Only finished pics here, unfortunately, but I have plans too...

Anyway, here is a unit of sword knights, these little dudes have been doing pretty awesome, and that was before I noticed that I am fairly easily able to get an extra dice of damage (if the target they are attacking is in melee range of a friendly jack (and I've been using 2 'jacks with reach), they get +2 to attack rolls, and an extra damage dice! HOOOO YEAH!).

Pics:

Thoughts?

So, plans for next painting projects...
Well, I'm hoping to enter the Black Reach contest, but I don't know if I'm going to have time, I seem to be doing a whole lot of army painting at the minute, which is quite cool, really.

I'm pretty happy with my planned Circle force for the ToPmini, which should look something like this...:
Month 1: Woldwarden
Month 2: Gnarlhorn Satyr
Month 3: Baldur the Stonecleaver and Tharn Ravager Whitemane
Month 4: Woldwatcher and Blackclad Wayfarer
Month 5: Tharn Ravagers and Tharn Ravager Shaman

The Marines are going to be a bit more up in the air, I'm just not sure what I'm gonna do, I've got my Tactical Squad going on for month 1, and after that, who knows...

I've also got some Chaos Warrior stuff going on, I'm hoping to have some test schemes going up soon, I'm aiming for something like *this*, but it seems like it's gonna be tricky to pull off...

That's me done, I think.

Ta everyone!
-t.

#22 ·
Oh man, do you awfully mind if I steal and try my own attempt from that piece of artwork do you? I haff decided to do a Warriors of Chaos army, preferably undivided. :p Sorry

Anyway, I really like the blues on these dudes...its very rich and awesome! :) The metallics are wonderful as well. Nice and shiny

Looking forward to what's planned!

#27 ·
I'm not a huge fan of the gold on Cygnar, I wanted them to be a little less bombastic and triumphant looking, especially as this is thematically supposed to be either Nemo's troops from the north, who are getting pretty badly battered by Khador, or part of Stryker's battlegroup, and seeing as his new symbol was the black cygnus, I figured black would make a nicer secondary colour...
So there =P

Also, I read about the UA, and was excited when I thought they got 4 dice on the charge vs. Jacks and Beasts... 5 dice!!! and then again with 4!!
*squee!*

Though I've got my 500pts Cygnar list planned for the moment, and they don't quite make the cut. At 750, they're an upgrade I'm buying asap, but in 500 I'm mostly adding long gunners and Strangeways. And a Squire. That thing is just wrong.

The metal is really, no-kidding highlighted.
It was done thus:
Boltgun Metal
Badab Black wash
Boltgun Metal (large block highlight)
Chainmail (block highlight)
Mithril Silver (highlight)

I'm afraid I don't have pics, but if I do something with similar metals I might try and get some for you guys.

Since that photo I've toned the gold on the swords down a little, it seemed a little over bright, and too flat. So, out came the Devlan Mud, and now I'm much happier.

I managed to get some tests done for my chaos warriors done today, at work, and I think I've decided what I'm doing (no pics though, sorry).
The mix ended up something like: 6 parts Boltgun Metal, 3 parts Codex Grey, 2 parts Black.
This was then followed with a Badab Black wash (I love this thing for speed painting), then the top surfaces were re-blocked with the mix (of DOOM!), and a final highlight of Boltgun.
This worked nicely, but I still need to fiddle with getting the golds and everything else right.

I'm going to be painting Woldwarden tonight.
He's so big and awesome.

-t.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.