Welcome to Librarium Online!
This is my thread for the TOP. I've been mucking around with this hobby for a little over ten years now and I've never painted an army... I'm one of those guys that gets into the rules, army lists, statistics, and gaming part of the game. I've never really been motivated to put in the time to paint up an army for the table top, until now that is...
My idea to make a Blood angels army started by looking at back issues of white dwarf on the crapper. The list really intrigued me, so that got my juices flowing. I had some success painting a fire warrior (yes singular) with the blood angels color scheme a few years back, so I thought painting a bunch of these guys well could be a doable thing. All this combined with the memory of getting destroyed by my friends Blood Angels army back when I started playing the game in third edition make me think pursuing this list is the right choice.
Hope some of you have fun keeping track of my progress. I know I'm going to have some fun getting these guys done!
Nothing official yet!
I did it. I got this space just for me. You can't have it!
I don't really know why I need this space, but I saw some other guy do it in his thread. It must be a good idea then, right?! I guess I can use it to post some status updates without posting a new reply or something silly like that....
Last edited by spoonanay; November 2nd, 2008 at 18:58.
Got the first one done. I think he took about 3 hours total painting time over 2 weeks. Now that I have the kinks worked out on the general color scheme painting more assembly line fashion should be faster. The plan for the weekend was to get this guy finished, start this thread, and finish 4 more by Sunday night. The plan hit a little hic up when my friend called me to go dancing last night. (Ef girls tonight. Lets just go dance. Make a big circle and throw our shoes in the middle and just dance.) Anyways, I lost some time because of that and now i'm hung over
But I digress...
Overall I'm happy with the way he turned out. I think I brought out a lot of detail in the model. I'm happy with the highlights, and I can see myself painting this scheme on a bunch more guys.
Things I'm not happy with:
- The Chest Eagle did not come out well... It was really hard to just hit the highlights... Maybe because this is a black reach marine...
- The model came out looking a little bit rougher than what I thought it would. But I can see that growing on me.
- Lack of chapter decal. I suck at drawing so I'm not about to attempt free style and the water slide transfer that I tried looked out of place on the mode. I think it was too clean on the rough model. Any ideas? I played around with the idea about sculpting a stencil.
- He needs a base
Please post any comments or suggestions about the color scheme. Especially before I start duplicating it on a bunch of other guys.
And now what most of you are actually looking for. The pics:
Last edited by spoonanay; November 2nd, 2008 at 19:57.
He turned out really well, especially the red! Suggestions:
The highlights on his legs are a little thick. If you can replicate the really nice ones from his helmet on the legs I think you'd be in business.
I think you should paint the eagle on his bolter and the skull on his backpack to add a few more details and to break up the red.
Overall though he looks really good. It's good to see you painting, but why couldn't you have done it when we were still in the same time zone?
yay a fellow Blood angel player!
A few pointers as you're just starting out:
- your red is very flat, i'd suggest you try washing the model with a mix of red/brown washes to make some shadows in the cracks.
- if you want chapter insignia, try hand painting the blood drop on the left shoulder pad. i painted my black and outlined them in codex grey and put a point of white in the corner for reflection. look in the back of the pdf codex where they have a list of squad badges and company badges.
- for a better chest eagle, use a mix of orange and red washes on the yellow. or do it like i did and just paint it black and dry brush it boltgun and mithril silver.