Necron WIP - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Necron WIP

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    110 (x4)

Necron WIP

Hello guys!

Well, following on from my Necron thread I posted a while back, and a recent 'Painting support' thread by Pickle, I have decided to start a work in progress thread, in the hope that it will get me in the mood to finish my Necrons so I can actually have a game with them for the first time ever!

The list of models that I intend to buy to make up a 1500pt force are:

HQ:
    1x Necron Lord

Elite:

Troop:
    1x 12 Necrons
    2x 14 Necrons

Heavy:
    1x H. Destroyer
    1x Monolith

Fast Attack:
    2x Wraith
    4x Destroyers
    10x Scarabs

So far I have the following painted:

Warrior

Destroyer

Wriath

Scarabs (This base is now full with 4 scarabs)

So thats the plan, lets see how I get on! I'm really looking forward to having a game with 'crons, so really want to get them done!

Wish me luck! All Comments and Critism welcome, and will be taken on board!

Thanks!
    Paul

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That white is making me drool all over my keyboard. Really top notch job on the white. I like the scheme too, its simple but looks really good.

Coming from a necron player, crons are fun to paint, but are very stale when it comes to actually playing. You win a lot, but that doesnt make it fun.

ISIS Secret Agent Squishy mpdscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    332 (x7)

Nice work Geb, it really stands out, because of the simple nature of the scheme, and the stark white and contrast. Top work....now you just need to finish the army and then base them all
    Mysterious Member of the ANZAC Clan

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

110 (x4)

Cheers for the comments.

As for basing them...thats where I am having problems at the moment, in that I have no idea what to do!

For my Guard, which I havn't started painting yet, I stuck a load of sand on there bases, and now wish I hadn't. For the 'crons I want to do something simple, maybe just a green paint scheme then a bit of flock? What do you think?

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

The scheme looks great on the Warriors, Destroyers and Scarabs

The Wraiths however im not so sure about, they just look a little dull in comparison... maybe use alternating grey/black colours on the spine? Or somehow darken the joint bits of the spine, give it some more detail and depth.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

110 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    The Wraiths however im not so sure about, they just look a little dull in comparison... maybe use alternating grey/black colours on the spine? Or somehow darken the joint bits of the spine, give it some more detail and depth.
    Thanks for the comment!

How about a black wash? I have the inks set, would a black ink help to fill the cracks in? I'm really not a good painter, and these are the first models I have painted in years, so anything more advanced than using paint is, to be honest, beyond me. Even the drybrushing took me an age to master!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

Black ink would give a good look colour wise, but (personally) i don't like the shiny finish it gives (unless its used on metallics)

Although looking at the spine of the Warrior too, it could work within the overall scheme, black ink all the gaps in the grey (try to avoid painting it straight over to avoid having to re touch the grey)

Do you have a test model that you could try it on and show us before you ink the lot? lol

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    457 (x8)

If you're going to do washes, use the Citadel washes, not inks. They don't leave the shine.

Overall, these guys look good. My only quibble is that the white, while very well done -- not too thick, even-coated, etc. -- looks a little flat, and could do with some shading. Course, this could be tough to do without risking ruining the clean job you've already done, so that's your call.

Re: bases. You really owe it to yourself to do a good job on these. Just think a minute about what planet/location they should be from, and go from there. Simplest way to do a "good" base is to glue on some gravel, basecoat, wash, drybrushed highlight, and done. It doesn't take that much work. My "Martian" bases took even less work than that.
    Mickey: "You're just making this up as you go along!"
    The Doctor: "Yuuuup. But I do it brilliantly!"

Check out my WIP thread here (Clicky!)

The rules (Clicky!) Read 'em, know 'em, love 'em.

Peace, through superior firepower.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

579 (x8)

Just a thought, as the white is so clean and well done, maybe gloss varnish to give it that ceramic look? And then the ''shiny'' black inking will match

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

110 (x4)

I've had a slight break in my Uni work over Christmas in that I have only had my dissertation to do, so I have tried to seize the initiative and get something painted. Unfortunately I am the slowest painter in the world, but anyway.

I've spent the last couple of days painting up my lord, and have pretty much finished it now, so here it is:

I realise it's not the best paint-job in the world, and its doing my nut in because tiny little chips keep appearing all over the model, but I'm fairly happy with it. I'm only looking for table-top standard, so in that respect it's fine!

Anyway, I'll try and keep the momentum up so might be posting some more soon!

Cheers,
    Paul

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast