Antilles Prodigious Project Log of Space Marines - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Antilles Prodigious Project Log of Space Marines

hello all,

As could be assumed by the title of my thread I am working on space marines and have several test marines

the blue armor is

a base-coat of Mordian Blue (foundation paint)
    a wash of regal blue
    first highlight ultramarine blue
    second 60:40 ultramarine blue to ice blue
    final highlight straight ice blue

the black armor is

a base-coat of chaos black
    first highlight 50:50 chaos black codex gray (sort of wet blended into the black)
    second highlight codex gray
    third highlight fortress gray
    chaos black wash

The shoulder pads on both look horrible to me I really couldn't figure out where/how to highlight them well. Adding a freehand chapter symbol might help... once I come up with what that symbol will be. thoughts?

I have painted a squad of terminators already and once I get some new pictures of them I will post those (soon I hope) for now any feedback on the schemes would be great.

Furthermore I just purchased the new codex so I will be working out a 1500 point list soon and will have an official list of thins I need to paint, have painted, or are WIP

Right now I have no name for the chapter nor any fluff, I'm not sure where to go here as I am really not good with fluff so your help would really be appreciated here I was thinking a cool name would be the "Sons of_______" but no really cool names came to mind for them to be the sons of. An example is the Sons of Orar which is an ultramarine successor chapter but their armor is red.

So really I could use your help with a name, which scheme is best, and a symbol (I would appreciate if the symbol was kept relatively simple as I will be free-handing a symbol on each marine's shoulder pad)

Hopefully I stay motivated (I will make monthly goals and try to stick with them) and am able to produce a great army and document it all for you as I go! ;D
    Much Thanks,
    Antilles

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    59 (x1)

I'm going to vote for the first scheme. The second one looks like a promising and unique direction, but I think it lacks some focal point to make the marine really pop. Perhaps the chest icon, or the rims of the shoulder pads, or some other detail could be picked out in a different color. The effect you use to base the models would also have an impact on how they appear on the table.

Nice work on the eyes!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x1)

well my opinion, i like the second one. Simple but the blue lighting effect makes it look really cool. Black, to me, is the most bad ass color for SM, the blue looks weak... i was never a fan of Ultramarines or any other Light blue chapter

maybe toss in one other color for the shoulder pads or helmet or something, give it more dynamic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    278 (x3)

I'v got to go with the first one mate. Although the second showcases your awesome work with lighting effects, I agree with Kosmon, it lacks enough to make it stand out. Overall it just looks bland.

The first one however is very cool, I like your choice of colours and, again, those eyes are exceptionally well done (rep for that!). I think a chapter logo/squad markings on the shoulder pads would really make the model stand out well.

I'm not being much help as far as logo's and names go, but I'll have a think and get back to you if anything strikes me!

I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Update 12/06/08 New Test Marine

UPDATE:

thanks for all the feeback and I understand your points about the focal color of the blue marine but I feel that the blue doesn't really look realistic or imposing so I tried another test marine in the black scheme, this is WIP but what do you think?

there he is and I personally like this scheme but i'm open to suggestion for the blue sheme

Much Thanks,
    Antilles

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

big fan of that second black model, the blue over black looks great.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    222 (x7)

I agree that the black armour looks better. The light blue with it works really well - I'd go for that if I were you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks for all the support, I will be trying to add a little more color to each guy, hopefully once I decide on a symbol having that on a shoulder pad will help with the color issue.

The update is really a lot of planning but is still important. The biggest thing is that I have decided to go with a bike army but will not be using the SM bike models. I will instead be using cold ones from the Dark Elves cold one knights and then converting SM legs to fit the models. I am still working on how I am going to do attack bikes though since slapping a heavy weapon on a cold one doesn't look good or realistic.

here are the cold ones

I will be ordering them from here: Dark Elf Cold One Riders Cold One Mount Bits

because I still need to purchase the cold ones and converting all those legs will take time I am going to begin by painting the non-bike parts of my army but I will also probably paint up one test biker to see how it works.

I have decided on an army list and have an official to paint list so you can all see what you get to look forward to.

1500 pt. Army list:

Space Marine Captain - 165
    -Bike
    -Relic blade

Space Marine Bike Squad (7) - 245
    - Plasma gun (2)
    - Powerfist

Space Marine Bike Squad (7) - 260
    -Powerfist
    -Meltagun (2)
    - Attack Bike
    -Multimelta

Space Marine Bike Squad (7) - 260
    -Powerfist
    -Meltagun (2)
    - Attack Bike
    -Multimelta

Tactical Squad (10) - 210
    -Multi-melta
    -Meltagun
    -Drop Pod

Assault Squad (10) - 240
    - Flamers (2)
    - Pair of Lightning Claws

Vindicator - 115

So my paint list in order of priority/when I will do them is as follows:

1. Tactical Squad
    2. Assault Squad
    3. Drop Pod
    4. Bikes

I am really excited about the whole project and would really appreciate any feedback on the cold one rider idea as well as any advice for modeling the bikers, I have thought about doing some sort of armor for the cold ones but nothing that i've thought up really seemed to work. I think this will make for a really unique army that is themed without having to sacrifice any tactical ability as imo bike armies are some of the best for 5th ed due to their maneuverability and thus, ability to grab objectives.

Much Thanks,
    Antilles

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

update 12/11/08 just a WIP

First I haven't forgotten about this project and I have made a little progress but I have exams next week and so, this week is really busy. The good news is that next week is very open and after that is to week of holiday vacation meaning I can get a lot of work done!

I was able to get a little painting today done and so I thought I would post a WIP of a tac marine. My lamp dropped breaking my fancy "natural light" bulb. I resorted to using a normal flourescent bulb which resulted in a very yellow color which I could only partially fix on my computer (messing with the color balance) anyway here is a WIP of a marine with just the black armor done.

I went for a slightly subtler less stark highlight by not going all the way to fortress gray, I stopped at codex gray. not sure how I feel but this is only WIP and the armor will get a few more touchups... the bad news is that the armor took me 50 minutes which is longer than I thought it would meaning this whole army may take a little longer. The good news is that the cold ones have been ordered and are on the way which means I can start making some bikers soon!

again thanks for the feedback and keep it up!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First off I'm not sure If I'm allowed to triple post but each post has been an update I just haven't gotten any feedback (Feedback is nice I would love some )

some great news, I have finished my first three tactical marines. Hopefully I can get another two painted today but I'm not sure if I will have the time. Regardless I am happy with the first three and I washed the armor in black so the highlights were a lot less stark, I want the source lighting and the lenses to be the focal points not the armor. I think this gives the marines a more "spec ops" look.
    Here they are

The middle marine is sortof WIP because I haven't finished his gun yet but when I do i'll get another pic of it. He is the sargeant and I thought about giving him a gold boltgun (the one that comes in the commander box that is all fancy).
    The battle damage on the left marine came out well imo but I don't think I will choose to do battle damage on other marines.
    The las marine could use a little bit more highlight (I may have black washed him too much) but I'm still happy with him.

I also gave the cold ones some thought and I think I will paint the cold ones a really dark purple, what do you think? I also thought about red but the rest of my scheme is all "cool" colors and red is a "warm" color so I wasn't sure if it would look good but it could. The cold ones are not here yet so no rush t
    o come up with a scheme but I would like your thoughts about what color I should pain them.

Thanks,
    Antilles

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast