Welcome to Librarium Online!
It has begun. After many months of coming up with ideas, talking to people and putting together test models, It is time I start a blog to record my progress and get feedback from everyone.
The army is Dark Mechanicus. It actually involves at least 3 different actual 40k armies but is united in theme and fluff. The first is an army using the Chaos Marines codex, the second is traitor guard and the third is a planned Attack Servitor Slave army using the Ork codex.
I have received some great feedback over the past few days on my ideas as well as lots of new ideas for the fluff and conversions. Thanks guys, you know who you are.
I have collected inspiration from various novels as well as the great Tempus Fugitives Soul Forge codex. Combined with my own ideas for what I would like to model, here is my fluff:
• Army comprises a renegade Arch Magos and his followers and their supporting forces. They control a small fleet of ships and have allies in the form of chaos warlords and their traitor guard / lost and the damned forces.
• The Magos and his dread magi soon become tainted by the things they research and experiment with. They have all sorts of creations at their disposal, such as:
1. Dark Skitarii - storm troopers who are the elite of the Magi’s followers.
2. Slave Bodyguards - Ogryns (half machine, half mutant)
4. Corrupt attack servitors/man machine hybrid creations (counting as mutants or possibly guardsmen)
5. Tracked attack servitors - Rough riders
6. Obliterators - Tracked corrupt-servitor gun-platforms
7. Electro-cultists - Count as Arco-flagellants
8. Mutant marine experiments - combination of machine, armour and daemon (counting as Thousand Sons Marines)
• Experiment with flesh craft, genetic experiments with humans and Ogryns, bio-chemical weapons, fusions of machine and flesh and the fusion of warp flesh etc.
• Similar to the chaos legions, some might still believe themselves to be the 'True Mechanicus', and thus dress in a similar way to regular Mechanicus, in dark red robes with cream/white detailing; different only in the details. Symbol would is a debased version of the half-cyborged skull of the loyal Mechanicus – a daemon skull with a cyborged half, mounted on an eight-pointed cog (as opposed to the 12-pointed cog on the loyalists).
• They are more willing to experiment than the Adeptus Mechanicus. The reason many members of the Cult Mechanicus continue to fall to the Dark Mechanicus – the pursuit of forbidden knowledge and tech-heresy (study of xeno-tech, abominable intelligence etc.) is obviously tempting; in much the same way as Inquisitors can become increasingly radicalised.
• Daemon engines and the like make a big appearance - as does the obliterator virus, but the Dark Mechanicus harnesses Warp energy and uses bound daemons, they don't offer tribute to the Ruinous Powers to get a Bloodthirster etc.
• They have many followers and unnumbered slaves and servants. Captured imperial citizen, renegade Mechanicus workforces and other humans and servitors all form the basis of the Dark Mechanicus’ servants. Led and driven by the Dark Magi and the Arch Magos, they are forced to work relentlessly on the Magi’s creations. They are also the first to be put before enemies when the fleet attacks a planet. Many have crude bionic enhancements or modifications, remnants of the Dark Magi’s ongoing experiments and tests.
• Uses the guard, witch hunters and chaos marines codices as counts as rules. Orks codex also a possibility for Ogryn Slave army.
• Main army is a 1500 point force using the chaos marine codex and having the thousand sons counts as models as the basis (Mutant marine experiments). Includes the Arch Magos, a defiler, obliterators, terminators (Dark Praetorians) etc.
Here are the pics of what I've done so far:
This is a Dread Magos that leads a squad of experiments (thousand sons). he will count as the sorceror. His psychic power represents arc-lightning.
Squad of experiments/abominations
Ogryn Slave bodyguards
Defiler (has a techpriest that wouldnt join their cause strapped to it, penitent style.)
Skitarii figures i did i while back. I think i need to sculpt something like the forgeworld traitors to get the right look i want. They need to be gritty and evil looking, with bionics and hoods etc.
This is some awesome stuff you got there. Keep us updated, I'm defiantly looking forward to seeing more!
Will be interesting to see where this goes...
Count me as subscribed!
minus_t's painting log! Now with: More Wolves and Blue Robots!
Last updated 09/01/11
"Never before has another man made me want to go out and buy vasaline"~The Paint Monkey
"All I can remeber is Hazard stripes and -T's dusty brushes. ~danjones87
Indeed, this is a great angle on the 40K universe and your models look very interesting.
I'd love to see some other angles on the Ogres, they do look a bit front heavy, but this might well be just an effect of the 2D-iness of photos.
But once again, a great looking army!
yeh its nice.
(the defiler is great, looks like a knight-titan... thats how its called rite?)
This Planet Is Murder
Thanks for the comments guys
Dan - I agree with you on the weapons on the abominations. It’s kinda the point that they look odd though. I made that lot with things I found in my bits box so I’m not too concerned. They are supposed to be genetic mutations combined with warp flesh so it’s entirely possible the dark magi have use Tyranid DNA to help make it.
Andusciassus - the Ogryns are kinda front heavy, at least the big grabby claw one is. But they are tough dudes, they can handle it. They’ve got big backpack power plants and braces so it kinda balances. I’ll get some other pics soon.
Here’s what I’ve been working on the last few days. Its my prototype track unit and torso for Dark Praetorians. They will be used as rough riders. I’ve even got an idea of doing a nobz biker army using these tracks and putting Ork bodies on them
I will be moulding and casting the tracks and torso and hopefully selling them through my website. I’m looking at making a range of sci-fi figures and terrain items that can be used for all sorts of war games. Anyone interested in custom sculpted and cast items, let me know.
One thing I need advice on, what to do for the arms of the Praetorians? I have made the whole thing very standard so that they can be sold for use in loyal admech armies.
I can just cast lots and then add little bits of chaos flesh and other detailing to make them fit my DM force, like they've been corrupted. I was looking at using the nobz power axes and electro flails for my DM ones but what to do for loyalist praetorians? Servo arms? Some sort of gun or axe?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.