Dan Jones Projects 2009- Onwards (Execute the Hostage!) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 95 1231151 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Dan Jones Projects 2009- Onwards (Execute the Hostage!)

Chilli Fueled Heretic danjones87's Avatar
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1329 (x8)

Dan Jones Projects 2009- Onwards (Execute the Hostage!)

Hi all. Well, with the close of 2008, my old project log titled Dan Jones's Projects, was put to bed. It got too large, which detered new viewers. So here be the new one! It will encompass all of my small projects that dont warrant there own project log.

When LO speeds up a bit I will link up to all my old logs.

Ive been waiting for about two weeks to strip my titans rhino stepping stone. Instead of putting my feet up Ive been working on this FW Titan Tech Priest. Its a nice model, plenty of detail there, I think mine has a slight defect on the face and under the left arm that I didnt notice until I started painting it. Sigh. Please note, this is the first infantry size model I have painted in 6 months! and in that time I havent stopped building or painting!

I mainly worked on layering, but added some oil paint washes to the metals and hood.

Thoughts?

Dan

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Renaissance Man Inquisitor Earl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    196 (x2)

Looking good so far. I would darken the cowl but that's just me.

How do you go about doing oil paint washes? I know they flow better but do they work well over acrylics?

It certainly is a nice model, got one myself. Imagine what FW could do if they did an Admech range.
    I am Inquisitor Earl, fear my sandwich!

My website: www.ferrus-workshops.com

My blog: ferrus-workshops-blog

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    979 (x8)

Looking pretty good, bud.
    I'm not sure how much you've done, but I think the red needs a brighter highlight or two, considering how dark the shading is.

What kind of colour are you planning on doing the axe?

-t.
    minus_t's painting log! Now with: More Wolves and Blue Robots!
    Last updated 09/01/11

"Never before has another man made me want to go out and buy vasaline"~The Paint Monkey

"All I can remeber is Hazard stripes and -T's dusty brushes. ~danjones87

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1329 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor Earl View Post
    Looking good so far. I would darken the cowl but that's just me.
    How do you go about doing oil paint washes? I know they flow better but do they work well over acrylics?.
    Yeah, they work great. There are many different ways of using them. Some people put them on there pallet and mix a wash using thinner, then apply. I however put the oil paint onto the model, then apply the thinner and spread it using a soft bristeled brush.
    If you look at the latter pages of my Titan log, there are some pictures that show the steps of oil painting.

I think it would be a good excersise for myself to write another tutorial on oil paints.

Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor Earl View Post
    It certainly is a nice model, got one myself. Imagine what FW could do if they did an Admech range..
    Erm, empty out my bank account perhaps!

Quote Originally Posted by minus_t View Post
    Looking pretty good, bud.
    I'm not sure how much you've done, but I think the red needs a brighter highlight or two, considering how dark the shading is.

What kind of colour are you planning on doing the axe?

-t.
    I was going to do the axe head black like the forge world one. Not feeling to adventurous.
    The picture editting has sapped some of the brightness from the model. There are green lenses on top of the axe head and across the back, but the pictures dont show them!

The cloak is a little brighter in RL, but not too much. I didnt want him to be very bright, I may be using him in a campaign as a magos exploratoris, so didnt think he would have much time to clean up while travelling around battling aliens for mineral resources. I might still add another coat to him.

I think Ive found a vessel for the rhino to be stripped in, so you may see me over there again soon!

Dan

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1329 (x8)

Im currently painting up the Netherlord due to weather and resource constraints on the rhino stripping. Anyhow, here you can see it in its bathtub awaiting stripping.

So, Ive been 'pressed' by Mr Wilson of my gaming group to have a go at a muscule lining technique on the Netherlord. Basically, you layer up to the main base colour, then a highlight colour over the top in lines to represent corded muscules bulging up underneath the skin.

Ive painted the big spikester first with a mix of chaos black and scab red in all the recesses, then with more scab red to this mix I painted again in the recesses but left the first colour showing in the deep area to build up more 'shadow'. Finally Ive painted the main flat areas with scab red. I then painted the lines on with a fine detail brush using mechrite red.

Heres the results so far.

Mr -T has suggested that I give the most extreme areas of the muscule an extra corded highlight to bring more attention to them. I hope to give this ago some time this week.

Dan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    116 (x5)

Got to suscribe if dans involved!
    Xbox Gamertag: x Helbrecht x

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1329 (x8)

Further painting on the netherlord. Im painting the entire model before doing the muscule lines on the rest. Ive still got to go back around and paint the shadows dark crimson. I only realised after painting that Id been using a standard brush to highlight details. Fool!

Ive also acquired some 2-butoxyethanol (I believe its called that), this stuff is the active ingreident for the simple green all purpose cleaner that tekore used in his tutorial. It will obviously need to be thinned down majorly as its in its pure concentrated form, but perhaps this will increase the speed in which it works.

I will test this over the weekend and see what occurs.

Dan

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1329 (x8)

Well on the netherlord I have finished the base, done the fur and hooves and Ive also had a go at the gold and silver chains.

Dan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    278 (x3)

That model is fantastic, and your painting is really doing it justice Dan. Keep up the good work

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    979 (x8)

Looking pretty funky, bud.
    'Though I think the base seems a bit flat, could do with a little more contrast, IMO.
    As a side thought, it'd also be really cool if the ground was cracking open under his feet, with lava glowing through...

I'll shut up now.

Liking the skin and the metals, buddy!

-t.
    minus_t's painting log! Now with: More Wolves and Blue Robots!
    Last updated 09/01/11

"Never before has another man made me want to go out and buy vasaline"~The Paint Monkey

"All I can remeber is Hazard stripes and -T's dusty brushes. ~danjones87

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 95 1231151 ... LastLast