Librarium Online Forums banner
81K views 315 replies 62 participants last post by  DavidWC09 
#1 ·
Storms rolled across the land, the earth trembled beneath their assembled might, small children cried for their mums, for dread was coming, death was coming, The Awesome was coming.

Yes, The Awesome. That's what I'm calling this for now. We'll see if I can actually make it The Awesome.

I have a few more models to purchase but not many. I will have to convert a War Shrine and a BSB riding a disc. I need another box of Marauder Horsemen along with two mounted sorcerers. The dogs in the pics are my chaos warhounds. They come from Gamezone Miniatures, as does the chariot. Another chariot is on order and should arrive soon. The dogs are the first unit to paint.

See less See more
#2 ·
Love those dogs, gamezone makes some sick models and these are no exception!

Gonna be a cool army David, keeping my eyes peeled.

Any ideas on the color scheme or future conversions?

#7 ·
Love those dogs, gamezone makes some sick models and these are no exception!

Any ideas on the color scheme or future conversions?
The dogs are very cool, and I hope I can do them justice. First, I must clean the mold lines and greenstuff the seams.

I'm unsure about the primary color scheme, so I'll start with the likes of the marauders and the hounds. I've already determined a flesh scheme for the infantry, and the horsemen will be done likewise. The warriors won't have a god-determined color. Right now, I'm envisioning a dark steel armor for the warriors and knights.

I've ordered bases from Back2Basix and a few from Micro Arts Studio for the chariots and warshrine.

The two conversion mysteries are the war shrine and BSB on disk. I'm lost when it comes to ideas for them, though I have begun buying parts for a war shrine.

Have you decided what mark your guys are getting?
Those puppies look amazing. Very chaosy (is that a word?). I like how bulky they are, the GW ones are too scrawny in my opinion.

Out of curiosity, are they gonna be mono-deity? Follow the pantheon, or dabble in just a couple gods (you have to make something nurgle!)?
Yes, they are bulky, almost too bulky considering how frail chaos warhounds are, but they look cool, and that's what matters. :p

As for the marks/deities, I'm dabbling a bit. Mostly Slaanesh as this is a tourney army and immunity to fear, terror, and panic is pretty huge. Tzeentch is there just for the BSB, and the sorcerers are Nurgle. I don't feel a need to be "loyal" to any theistic theme as the new book is all about plurality and not tying armies down to one god.

#5 ·
Finally, you can show me how it's done! Can't wait to see your skill as a painter on some chaos models.

Those puppies look amazing. Very chaosy (is that a word?). I like how bulky they are, the GW ones are too scrawny in my opinion.

Out of curiosity, are they gonna be mono-deity? Follow the pantheon, or dabble in just a couple gods (you have to make something nurgle!)?

cheers,

#9 ·
Spring Break coming to an end, I spent Friday putting the models together and greenstuffing mold lines. Saturday, I trimmed mold lines and cleaned the models. Sunday, I went to prime and it all went to hell. Bad primer, stripping agent ruined the green stuff. In the end, I pitched them in the garbage. It was disgusting. I've had problems with GWs primer before and now it's settled. I won't touch that garbage again. Even when used "according to directions," the stuff is crap. I don't buy enough of those to say, "Oh, that's a bad can. How odd." I buy very few and have had at last two bad bottles. Not good odds. Three days work, lost. Not an auspicious start.

#12 ·
Dan I would love to see your pictures of your disc! (and do you have a WoC wip thread? I'll try and search it if ya do)
)
David, that sucks about your guys, do all stripping agents removed green stuff? (I used super clean, and I am starting to have second thoughts about my recently green stuffed warriors for papa nurgle) And get cracking on posting pictures soon, I love looking at your work!

#15 ·
Thanks for the enthusiasm. I started scraping some marauders (yes, zemaphore, the hound models were tossed and new ones ordered...don't tell my wife). I don't have much experience doing metal, and I didn't want to jump into the knights or warriors without some forethought. Marauders should be easy to do and will give me the satisfaction of having one of the two ranked units done. I wanted to start with Marauder Horsemen but realized I hadn't bought them yet. I thought I had, but I must've been a victim of my own wishful thinking.

#16 ·
Thanks for the enthusiasm. I started scraping some marauders (yes, zemaphore, the hound models were tossed and new ones ordered...don't tell my wife).

NO! Fish em out! I want em! I'll salvage em!

I don't have much experience doing metal, and I didn't want to jump into the knights or warriors without some forethought. Marauders should be easy to do and will give me the satisfaction of having one of the two ranked units done.
Ranks are fun, cause when you finished, but not painted them, they already make sense, lined up like true napoleonic soldiers!

I wanted to start with Marauder Horsemen but realized I hadn't bought them yet. I thought I had, but I must've been a victim of my own wishful thinking.
Happens to me too, you are just so caught up in planning and "i'm gonna buy this, gonna buy that" that you completly forget what you actually do or do not own! I once bought some models i already owned :|

#22 · (Edited)
After the hound debacle, I decided to work on some Marauders of Chaos. The guys over in the WoC forum were really helpful when it came to information about assembling and painting these guys.

With their advice, I decided to do some bit-raiding from my Marauder Horsemen and a Chaos Spawn. Sadly, however, I was not in possession of those of kits and would have to wait.

Since a friend had given me what looks like about 30 Marauder models in different states of assembly, most of them un-primed, I decided to do a practice round with some of his guys. I scraped off mold lines, went ahead and glued on the shields knowing I'd wait for that on the next Marauders, washed them with soap and water and once dry, priming them with Floquil's Black Base Figure-Primer, a spray that's made by Testor's IIRC.

I also decided not to worry about the shoulder joints. I might try tattoos on these guys, though I've never really pushed myself to learn freehand. On the next guys, the fancy ones, I'll use shoulder pads because green stuffing these spaces is going to be a pain in the ass.

I did the metal with a mix of dark steel and black, washed it with GW's purple wash followed by the GW sepia wash. Then I drybrushed it with dark steel and medium steel to highlight. It looks like crap, but them my metals usually do.

Eventually, these guys will be mounted on slate bases from Back2Base-IX, but for now I superglued them to their GW bases for painting. I'll pop them off later with a hobby knife or paring knife.

I intend to use sprue trimmings to make crystals to embed among the rocks. It's something I saw a guy named Corai do to his units on another forum, Asrai.org, I think. He did a great job, and I plan to do something similar and make a display board to go along with the theme. I can't decide if I want to do snow on the rocks yet. When I think of the colors I'm going to paint the army, I'll probably stick to summer or autumn.

Observations along the way:

Some of the sculpting is just bad, and there's a pronounced difference between the new and old plastic sculpts. The shoulder and arms don't fit well, especially if either the shield or weapon arm is positioned too closely to the body. Some of the weapon hafts, chest straps, and wristbands have metal studs that will make painting the leather a pain. On the next batch, I'll probably shave all those off. I did it on some here, but not enough.

I also altered some of the helmets. The horns are at bent at awkward angles for painting. Some I clipped off, and for the pairs I left, I'll keep them fairly simple.

Here are the paints I'm using for the skin. I always mix up a good batch of black and whatever colors I'm using, in this case GW's foundation Tallarn flesh. The black serves as my eraser. The Tallarn flesh has to be thinned quite a bit. GW advertises it as covering in one coat, which I suppose it does if you put it on undiluted. It takes me about 20-25 minutes to apply a basecoat consisting of about 3 diluted layers of Tallarn flesh to a single model.

It's painstaking, and right now, my fingers hurt. I lost several hours painting today due to a squirrel in my attic, or I'd have all the buggers done.

Tomorrow, I'll paint the neck bands, something I should've done along with the metallics. I'll use Vallejo's tin bitz because it's the darkest bronze I have. I'll wash the necklaces and flesh either with Ogryn or Sepia, not sure yet. Then I'll paint the skin with the RMS Tanned Skin triad and move on to the pants, foot and legware, and leather.

#23 ·
Oh noes, the attack of the moobs!

Poor Marauders. I hate them so much. The cavalry are pretty nice though... Time changes many things I guess.

Nice solid looking skin-tone so far. That's just the base coat, right?
I normally find that Tallarn needs 2 coats for me, but then I'm normally painting in a really hurry...

Best of luck with them bud.

-t.

#31 · (Edited)
Okay, please excuse the crap load of pictures. I've been making tutorial videos and this is my prep work. My "notes."

Here is the second highlight, Reaper Master Series Tanned Skin. It's a very different shade than the first highlight, RMS Tanned Shadow. Tanned skin is much warmer and has more yellow in it. It looks stark and not as good as smooth as the first highlight. The photos don't make it as obvious, but trust me, it's there.

Here is the third and final highlight. Still pretty stark. The contrast with the washed basecoat is too much.

---------- Post added at 21:30 ---------- Previous post was at 21:30 ----------

To deal with the stark contrast and restore some of the smoothness that came with the first highlight, I applied a glaze. I used 1 part Tanned Shadow, 5 parts water, and 5 parts brush-on sealer (also a RMS paint). I glazed four models, with each model getting 3, maybe 4, glazes. The secret to glazing, as opposed to washing, is twofold: the mix is thinner than a wash and after a few seconds you wick it out of the recesses.

In the first pic, the model on the left has been glazed while the model on the right has not. The second photo shows the glazed version of the model on the right from the previous pic.

Here are some more pics to compare before and after the glaze. The first two are before the glaze, the last three, after.

Lesson is, sometimes parts of the models look like crap for a time. Also, glazes do a world of good, smoothing out transitions and covering up sloppy transitions (after all, you don't want to carefully blend 20 or so rank and file dudes). Even so, it does take some time. I've been hard at the skin for 5 days solid, with 1 day where I didn't go to work but spent a lot of time painting. Sigh...these were supposed to be the "practice" guys.

#32 ·
Looking very nice buddy, the work you put in really payed off.

I really enjoy seeing every stage of your models too, it's somewhat reassuring that you have the same problems that I have, and get around them in pretty similar ways...

Just out of interest, why did you pick the Marauders to paint as the test minis?
Surely you won't actually have a huge amount of flesh in the army overall, unless you're going Marauder heavy (in which case: you poor poor man...).

-t.

#33 ·
t, I was going to start the "for real" marauder unit for my list, but after getting opinions from the WoC forum guys, I decided I should wait until I had bits from the marauder horsemen and spawn sprues to fancy up the models some, especially since I want these guys to make the GT circuit. As for the GT circuit, it's usually painting that lets me have a strong showing. Maybe I can stop being 2nd or 3rd best army with these guys.

I was anxious to start painting and having done enough models now to know mostly what I'm doing, I figured a test run would be good. Plus, I know I'll want to expand the list beyond the tourney configuration I have mind and marauders are a no-brainer for filling in core.

#35 ·
If you used 10 parts water instead of 5 parts sealer and 5 parts water, the paint becomes so diluted that the binders holding the pigment togther start to release their hold and you can get splotchy results. The sealer restores binders to the mix and allows for dilution. You'd have to experiment. Vallejo glaze medium is a product sold specifically for making glazes and serves the same purpose as the brushon sealer. I haven't used it much and can't give you any good ratios.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.