Sultansean's attempt to Paint Dark Elves - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x1)

Sultansean's attempt to Paint Dark Elves

So I recently picked up a Dark Elf Army second hand, unpainted. Below is what I have and what I intended to do with it. This is more just so I can keep track and organize my thoughts, painting will probably be rather slow and sporadic. I am definitely a beginner painter so don't expect any miracles. Also the number one goal is getting it painted, this may be at the expense of quality. Although I am keen to try some basic techniques to improve my skills, so feel free to comment!

What I Have Now:

60 Warriors with 44 Shields
    Will become

25x Spearmen w/ Full Command and Shields

10x Xbows w/ Full Command and Shields

10x Xbows w/ Full Command and Shields

15X Black Guard w/ Full Command. These will be a conversion project, and will probably only be attempted after I’m done painting everything else. I want to try converting something, and I have extra Warriors (and no shields).

20x Corsairs w/ Full Command, Not sure about this unit, but this is what they are assembled as now, and with and Assassin I think they might be effective. They may become 2 units of 10 with Hand bows as I look into tactics for them.

7x Executioners w/ Full Command, Standard Bearer will be doing double duty as the BSB, since he is of minimal use in this unit.

5x Cold One Knights w/ Full command not sure about command on these guys but that is how they are assembled now.

1x Cold One Chariot this unit will have one crewman removable so I can replace him with a BSB or a Master if I want to.

1x Repeater Bolt Thrower.

3x Sorceresses, two of which are the witch elf Champion and Standard Bearer respectively (not a huge fan of the regular model).

2x Assassins, one is actually shadowblade, and I may try him a few times, otherwise he can be a regular assassin.

1x Malus Darkbalde, not a nice model, and not exceptionally useful, but thought I might as well include everything.

To Get:
    Glade Riders, to convert to Dark Riders, unless they release new ones before I finish painting everything else.
    Repeater Bolt Thrower

Something to use as Shades, not a huge fan of the models, now so I’m on the lookout for an idea for this, perhaps Glade Guard?

Test Paint Scheme model up soon!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

is a hardcore rebel dutchie the great's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    122 (x3)

Im just thinking that you should also uy a blister pack of executioners to take your tally up to 10, other then that this sounds interesting, make sure to make good use of the washes, they can be a great help for painting armies, and the finish that they give look suit dark evil armies better.

looking forward to these upcoming test models

-DTG
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...ungbloods.html

Come and join the YoungBloods social group!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x1)

So here we Have Dark Green

And the winner Dark Turquoise, I tried to highlight the armour but It didn't really work. I want the warriors to be pretty basic, might do some copper details.

They don't look that bad in real life.

So I am considering not painting any skin on them, and instead painting it as armour. So full face helmets and gauntlets. I got my inspiration form here, http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php...er=asc&start=0
    although I believe this painter has just done grey skin and was not intending it look like armour. What do people think?
    Last edited by sultansean; April 2nd, 2009 at 07:48.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

122 (x3)

They are looking nice, I agree with your selection of the dark turquiose one it deffinently says Dark elves the best.

as for the painting I think you should try out thep[ainting the faces, it looks like that the guy off druchii painted their skin grey and not armour......y,

im looking forward to seeing more elves painted.

-DTG

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally I much prefer the Dark Blue/Turqoise colour I think its great not to use the standard purple one. It looks pretty effective.

I also paint Elves, but I paint the High Elves and I can tell you both are flavourful to game with but are probably in the top half of hardest fantasy armies to paint. Due to the amount of detail on the model.

For your Dark Elves its really simple if I were you I'de paint them like this.

Armour: Chainmail then a Badab Black wash.
    Cloth: Turqoise then a Badab Black Wash.
    Boots and Gloves: Calthan Brown then a Badab Black wash.
    Spear Wood: Scorched Brown then Bleached Bone.

There's a nice quick way to Paint Dark Elves I used when I was painting a Dark Elf Assasin [but I used purple for the cloth] for my friend, only takes about 20 minutes per model and looks great.

Its really your decision which way you do the faces, me personally I like the faces plain I think it adds to the model, but its really your decision. Just remember faces are the least forgiving part of the model so you cant go wrong if you water the paint down enough!

Other than that I really wouldn't go our buying any more stuff, only the Dark Elf Army Book if you havn't already got it because it has so many great ideas and pictures of the models in there. Its also full of insperation and get really hurry you along. Seriously take my word for it you really shouldn't go out buying any more than 500pts of models at a time just for the reason that it really gets on top of you as you finish your first model knowing theres 100+ more to go!

Sorry for such a long post but I hope it has some useful information.

Help my dragon grow! pfft dont bother anymore he died since he didnt get enough clicks >:(

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    99 (x2)

Ya i would go buy some washes for the armor and cloths so they have some shading. After the was a quick dry brush of the prevous color always works too. But if you want to go in advanced painting you need to build up from those to real bright colors like ice white etcss.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x1)

Thanks for the advice, I tried washing one model with heavily watered down black, but wasn't a huge fan of the result, so I'll consider the buying some of the real stuff.

Ok so this stuff was done a while ago, but with exams I didn't have time to put pictures up. So I have half the squad getting towards done, just need to clean some stuff up and base it. I'm planning on doing snow bases, white paint with baking powder sprinkled on. Anyways pictures.. you may notice that my the champion who was painted with an earlier mix of paint is lighter. Mixing is not an exact science for me yet, and I'm not going to worry about it now, with so much to get done. Onwards and Upwards!

Thanks for the comments and advice, keep it coming. Hopefully should be getting more done with school coming to an end.

cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

122 (x3)

I like but the skin is a big focal point and it isnt done as good as the rest of the mini!!!!!!

my surgestion is; is that you base coat the skin around 1:2 deneb stone-elf flesh then washed ogryn flesh or G.......sepia or devlin mud, the base flesh colour shiuld go on pretty much flat because its part foundation, so it should work okay........i hope........

-DTG

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x1)

My goodness did I really start this project 3 years ago? Well after a Warhammer hiatus that saw forays into Napoleonics and Flames of War I've started painting some 28mm minis again. My painting hasn't really improved in three years which is a bit disappointing but maybe getting some tips on here will help.

The card reader on my computer is not working so here is a Ork Gunslinger that I painted and converted for the Death Squads Prisoner Exchange Prisoner Exchange 2012

P4170170.JPG

Sorry for him being sideways

Ok the Executioner
    P5120173.JPG
    Last edited by sultansean; May 13th, 2012 at 02:08. Reason: Got pics to work

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

I think you have improved quite a lot actually, that executioner is really nicely weathered and the metallics look much better.

The ork is a very cool conversion as well.

Hope to see more from you nothing to add right now but feel free to ask if you have any questions.
    Cheers Allonairre

WIP Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast