Name-Pending Marine Chapter - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x2)

Name-Pending Marine Chapter

I just finished up the grunts for my first tactical squad for this chapter except for the bases. The paint job is a lot coarser than I'd really like, especially on the armor (the robes I'm fairly happy with,) but I think I'm going to have to just accept that my first few units are going to look a little substandard since I'm just too impatient to get a project finished. Still, as far as tabletop quality goes I think they're spot on and that they look great at arm's length. Still have the sergeant, heavy weapon and special weapon models to go. Anyways, I just wanted to start a thread for my chapter so that I have somewhere to keep track of my progress. Comments are, of course, more than welcome.

(These links will probably break sooner rather than later, once I properly name everything... they work for now though.)

You play your game, I'll play mine.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x1)

It's funny, to me they look a lot like Pre-Heresy Thousand Sons. Or how I imagined them anyway. They're pretty well painted (by my standards) for a person who describes himself as impatient to get a project done. Just one thing. Maybe you could paint the robes and hoods a contrasting colour to the armour? Just so that when they're finished the don't look like a blob of undefined redness.
    Space Marines- The ultimate representation of 'Bros before Hoes'

is a hardcore rebel dutchie the great's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    122 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by swarbieofthehivemind View Post
    It's funny, to me they look a lot like Pre-Heresy Thousand Sons. Or how I imagined them anyway. They're pretty well painted (by my standards) for a person who describes himself as impatient to get a project done. Just one thing. Maybe you could paint the robes and hoods a contrasting colour to the armour? Just so that when they're finished the don't look like a blob of undefined redness.

Hmmm, I agree,

1)yup they do look like PH thousand sons
    2)Yup, I wouldnt look at these and say, wow the person who painted these is an impatiant madman.
    3)I think you should paint the robes a contrasting colour, a simple way of doing bone/khaki is to base coat deneb stone, then wash devlin mud, just if you think khaki is the way to go.

keep up the prodution line,

-DTG
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...ungbloods.html

Come and join the YoungBloods social group!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x2)

I always wanted to make a marine army out of Dark Angels Veteran, keep up the good work.
    We who have seen war will never stop seeing it....In the silence of the night, we will always hear the screams....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x2)

I hadn't noticed how much red was coming out in the robes until I took the photos (and then not really until people pointed it out.) The robes are meant to be a (reddish) brown, and are painted with red mixed with a tiny bit of green to make the browns. I'm going to try and get a picture that shows the colors a little more honestly once I finish up the last three models for the squad, and show the actual models to the people I play with, and see if the colors really are too close to one another. The colors are definitely close, more so than I really intended, so thanks for drawing my attention to it.

The similarity to PH Thousand Sons is entirely intentional, but if it's really screaming that out I may try switching the M chapter symbol into a pair of triangles to make it look a bit more like a pair of mountain peaks. I really wasn't expecting two people in a row to bring it up, so I'm glad I posted these pictures before I went and painted the things on everything.

Thanks for the comments. I'll probably post a bit more next weekend when I expect to finish up the squad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    539 (x8)

Some name ideas:

-The Red Guard
    -Crimson Mentors
    -Marines Carmine
    -Magenta Raptors
    Got a "good" rumour from a GW staffer? Forget about it, LO'ers know more than any random GW shop staffer.
    Voor alle nederlanders:
    The Dutch Legion
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Keeper of Records and Ale King Ulrik Flamebeard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

Thing is, the brown doesn't show well against red unless it is a dark tone. I would either paint them as bleached cloth (creamish) or paint them black. The mini needs some contrast, and currently it has little contrast on it.

Kuffy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x2)

Hm, I like the sound of Crimson Mentors, will have to let it roll around the noggin a bit.

When I paint the rest of the squad I'm going to try keeping the brown darker. Right now my final highlight is red, no green at all. I might try keeping a bit of green mixed in all the way up and see what happens. Failing that I'll probably go with dark gray robes (true black is such a royal PITA to paint well, as I learned from my 'easy' Black Templars) since if I try and make the armor any brighter the color is either going to start shifting orange or pink, neither of which I want.

I'm going to try snagging a photo of these things in natural daylight with a white background when I get off work and see if that gives me a better representation of the colors. One of these days I need to just get off my butt and make a light box.

is a hardcore rebel dutchie the great's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    122 (x3)

like the name Magenta Raptors, or perhaps play on that a bit to make them the crimson Raptors?

But with armour, add dwarf or elf flesh to lighten up the red and if it gets to pink add orange or if it gets to orange ad pink, also with the robes, how about half black/dark grey and half creamy, could work?

it'll be good to those lighter pictures.

-DTG
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...ungbloods.html

Come and join the YoungBloods social group!

+ Reply to Thread