Librarium Online Forums banner

"Get a load of my choppa!" - Pierced53's Progressive WAAAGH!

15K views 109 replies 24 participants last post by  dutchie the great 
#1 ·
It had been suggested to me that I too grab myself ones of these threads, so here we go. =D
Thanks to danjones for the name suggestion - love it! ^_^

Back in October I decided the time was right to get back into the Warhammer hobby, and the new Orks grabbed my attention. I got a bit carried away, and ended up spending around £130 on models in just a couple of weeks. The codex, two lots of the AOBR Orks, and 140 more Ork Boyz all came my way through eBay, and so I had lots to keep me busy. ;)))

I quickly got to it, and the following is a shot of the first models I'd painted in perhaps around 18 months. Not too shabby, if you ask me. >.O

But then, Sixth Form got hard. >.<'' I found my self struggling in three of my four subjects and the hobby took a back seat. I was doing extra work most nights just trying to keep up. I didn't get anything done and as easily as I thought I had got back into Warhammer, I slipped back out of it. The next thing I knew it was Christmas, and I was pre-occupied to get the models out again.

Now, however, I've found an efficient way of mixing the hobby and school work, and so I'm becoming more involved. In truth it's probably because it's the Easter break, but even when it finishes, I'm determined to keep the hobby going. ^__^

In the past week I've completed another twenty Ork Boyz, and should have some pics up in this thread sharpish. ;] Right now I have around 1500 points' worth of greenskins, but I'm determined to get enough bog-standard Boyz finished before I looking into getting any 'toys'.

Apologies that this first post didn't really show off a lot, but I thought it would be good to give an introduction as to where I'm coming from.
Please feel more than welcome to give any comments and suggestions as I get pictures up and the army progresses, I'd be very happy to hear from you. I'm aware that my painting is far from great but I didn't want that to stop me from having a go. ^^;;

Thank you for reading,

Pierced53

See less See more
#4 ·
Hey,

Been painting a fair bit in the past few days when I've not been visiting family or had my head stuck in a maths book :hypnotized:. I've finished the first mob of thirty Boyz and have completed ten of the next mob. Hopefully should have some pics up soon.

I've also spent some time working on the army's Warboss. I did so because I wanted to take a break from batch painting Boyz, as I'm sure you'll understand. :p He's nothing special, but I think he turned out quite well - hopefully tabletop standard. :cute:

#5 ·
Warboss looks good. I like the backpack. The basing is simple, too. One of these days, I'm going to do an army with a straightforward "outside" look. :D Good job so far. Since this is an Ork army, are you planning any "Konvershuns" anytime soon?

#6 ·
Thank you. ^_^ The basing is just Black Inked sand drybrushed with Graveyard Earth and then Bleached Bone, and then added grass. I kept it simple because of the relatively high number of models that are going to be in the army.

Konvershuns? Hmmm. I hadn't really thought about it, but yes, I'm going to have to. I need to convert a few the AOBR Nobz to have Power Klaws, but I've no idea how I'm going to do it yet. I'll have a search through my bitz box. I'll also probably try to make the Nob leader of each Boyz mob a bit unique through a conversion of some sort.

Watch this space.
>.O

#7 ·
I like your lens on the warboss. The only gripe I have with that model is the yellow/orange wire leading to the claw. If you can get a lens to look like that, you should try to make that wire a solid color with highlight. That's the only thing I see that detracts from the model.

#9 ·
Yeah, didn't notice I'd messed that up until seeing the pictures on here for myself. As I said in LOChat, I'm going to change and improve it later today. :)

I'm looking to get washes. I haven't bought paints in over two years, due to hiatus, so I'm a little apprehensive about them. Are they identical to Inks? Because I have GW's black and brown.

If not, I'm thinking of Thraka Green and Devlan Mud. Would these be appropriate for this army?

#10 ·
They look very nice. I think the warboss looks awesome. i can't wait to see more. I like that you kept the basing simple. I feel sometimes when people do too much with the basing it takes away from the model itself. These flow well together though. Excellent job!

#13 ·
Thank you all for the kind comments. :worship:

With an empty camera battery and a Chaos Black spray which is still in the hands of the Royal Mail, there isn't so much to do, hence this post is going to be relatively boring.
However I have been working, and today I assembled 20 more Boyz and finished the bases of the first mob and the first ten of the second mob. :)

Progress is being made! ^_^

#16 ·
This makes me want to play orks even more, there's something strangely intriguing about these guys that makes me want to go out and buy a few boxes of boyz even if it means just painting them and not actually playing them

#20 ·
Right so I promised pictures, and here they are.

Tonight I used being able to Warhammer as motivation to get my school work done, and now I have none left to do. :D

I finished adding flock and drybrushing the bases of twenty Boyz. Now I have completed the Warboss, and forty Boyz. I didn't get around to progressing with that group of assembled Boyz, bumping up from 11 to 20, but I guess you can blame that on Liverpool and Arsenal on putting on such a ruddy good game!!

The following pictures don't show much because lighting was bad and I'm not in the mood to go all fiddly with the camera. Maybe I'll have another crack tomorrow.

Oh, and Jaffar. I touched up that wire. Just for you. Maybe going to add one final, lighter highlight though. ^^

Enjoy!

Pierced53

#21 ·
Played a game of 40k in 40minutes tonight, and it went well. :)

I had to use all of my painted models so far, subbing a few Boyz for Nob Leaders. The game was against my mate's Guard, and in all honesty I felt it went alright for the first I've played in years.

It was very laid back and we weren't really counting turns, but at the end all that remained was my Warboss on 2 wounds and his Chimera and a lone sniper, so we considered it a draw. Great fun that I've missed out on in a long while! :beer:

#23 ·
The pictures abit to dark i can only just make the modals out.
Yeah - sorry. Going to try and take a daylight shot soon. :)

Good to see your playing some games and You need some shoota boyz they can shoot for s*** but there better than slugga boyz!

Whats next on your list for buying, etc?

How do I make these? I don't have enough of my own spare parts to convert them, so would I have to buy the Boyz box?

This is what I have so far:

Complete
- 40 Slugga Boyz
- Warboss

Assembled
- 31 Slugga Boyz

Still on sprue
- 109 Slugga Boyz
- 10 Nobz
- 6 Deffkoptaz

I want to get most of these done before I buy more, because from experience, buying new things only helps me forget to paint what I already have. :embarrassed: I#m going to aim bring my total painted count to 100 Boyz, 10 Nobz and 5 'Koptaz before I go spending again. :D

However, I know that for a good army I'm going to need a couple of Trukks, some Lootas, and either Gretchin/Shoota Boyz as a squad to sit back.

Plenty to be cracking on with! :starving:

#24 ·
Whoa 180 slugga boyz! and No need to be sorry i was stating the truth :D. Hmm, i have a rummaged through my bits boxes and See if i can give you any shootas. I have like tons of spares.

Your force is gonna be great and You have a good solid plan, Lootaz are a great unit been able to take out AV13 tanks and Troops with ease. I would convert yourself a big mek my man with a kustom force field this will save you massive mobz from being annihilated early on in the game.

I know you have loads of work on your road ahead but just keep on trukking it will be worth the effort :).

#25 ·
Morden has some good advice. Big mek + KFF (and for personal preference a burna) and shoota boys. The first gives you good protection as you move up the board and the burna is good at routing folk in cover (flame templates FTW. Though, watch out for them as an ork player. OUCHIE OUCHIE.) The shootas however are just great. Still have a decent number of attacks on assault - 3 each, and Furious Charge - and have 2 shots from an assault weapon.

I'm liking what I see thus far, can't wait to for you to get painting again. But think towards expansion. Trukks, lootas and shoota boyz are all a good choice.

Kuffy

#26 ·
The goods have arrived! :D

But before they had, on Thursday, I found clipping and assembling Boyz all too tedious and decided to hunt around for my bitz box and an idea to convert my AOBR Nobz into Power Klaw-wielding monsters. :sinister:

I had hardly any spare bits, but what I did find sparked something in my imagination. It was an OOP Goblin Fantasy model I had acquired from somewhere, and the weapon it wielded was a chain with a spiked ball on the end (I'm sure there's a name for this weapon, but right now can't remember it).

Much like Power Klaws are literally just attached to Orks, I wanted to the same with this thing. Wanted to make it look like the Nob had lost half an arm in sacrifice of replacing it with a devastating weapon.

Now, be aware that I am not under the illusion that the way I have worked this green stuff is anything but horrific. I was pretty clueless going into it and probably should have thought about it more, but I'm hoping to save it with a good paint job. :sweat: The model and green stuff have been tidied and clean since the photos were taken, so it's not entirely as bad as it looks. It looks dreadful but I'm willing to accept that everybody has to start at least somewhere. X|

I plan to paint it so that it looks like the metal ball has primitively just been attached to the end of his limb, the Ork surgeon careless as to how painful it is for his client. :sinister:

Next up going to get the number of assembled Boyz up to 50, and then paint through them. Going to take a while but then I will virtually have the entire main core of my army (three mobs of 30 Sluggas) done and dusted. Then it will be on to the more exciting units. I want to get the more boring ones out of the way first. :angel:

Pierced53

#27 ·

Pierced53
What a lovely dining room table. I pray you don't use it when doing hobby work.

Be sure to use some GS to fill in that nasty gap on the Nob's wrecking arm shoulder.

GS can be easy if you know how to go at it. Mix it thoroughly, then if you need it a little stiffer let it sit for some times (20 minutes maybe?). GS says workable for up to an hour before it's too stiff. Do all the work you need early, then when you are done smooth it out. I use a dab of vasoline on a fingertip and thumb to get rid of all those unsightly fingerprints. Just rub the surface until it has a smooth shine to it. When it's dry (approximately 24 hours later) just wipe the petrol jelly off with a piece of fabric.

#28 ·
P53, keep improving your painting standard like this, and your looking at a lot of very nice armies! :)

Wish i had started younger, by the time i started GW i was almost finishing college...

#30 ·
Update! :D

Here is the finished Nob with wrecking ball. In all honesty, I like the way he turned out. The green stuff was reworked and changed to make it look like bandages, due to a collaborated idea from Morden and I. :) I think it looks pretty cool and although it's not perfect, Orks are a race where messy kunvershuns can look intended. Score! B) Nevertheless.. comments?

I've also sprayed 40 Boyz and started the paint job on ten of them. After the Nob providing a break from Boyz, back to business. Expect more pics soon. ;)

#31 ·
Over the bank holiday weekend I have been making progress through the large number of Boyz still yet to paint. I finished a group of ten and have another group of ten about half done. When they are, that will bring the total up to 60 - just thirty short of the number I want to use for 1500 point games. At least I'm over half way there. :highfive:

I thought up an army list and, after talking it over with Kuffy a little bit, went ahead and posted it in the Ork forum. I'm generally seeking advice before I go out and buy more models where I may not need to. If you feel you have anything to add or contend, please, feel more than welcome. The thread can be found here. :blowkiss:

#32 · (Edited)
Rep for your horde dude,
they are looking real good so far.
My only advice as a fellow ork painter (well kinda) is 'get your boots on the dirt first'
In others put away everything but your ork boys and just keep slogging at 'em till
your done them all. And once they are out of the way the only thing you have to paint are cool things like trucks, wagons and stompas and big meks!!

Still well done for your work so far, quite wait to see more.

Boomer.

(you will have to wait for your rep, seems i cant heap any more on you just yet ;) )

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.