Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
I finally broke down and bought a Forgeworld Barbed Hierodule. With some guidance from various forums, I set out to clean and assemble my new figure.
This was my first time working with Forgeworld resin and the resin pieces were actually quite different than I expected. I'm more used to clipping parts off plastic sprue. The Forgeworld pieces will come in a bag of fairly large parts. Except for the 6 vents on the back, I didn't have to clip anything off a sprue. However, most of the parts had big tabs (the vent holes I think) that I had to trim off. The tabs were much bigger than you'd ever see with metal figures and will take some time to remove. The resin was also softer than I expected. I expected the pieces to be fairly rigid and hard. I was actually more concerned with pieces shearing. As it turns out, my pieces cut pretty easily with an Xacto knife, though you have to be patient and work on a small piece at time.
The figure cleans up quite nicely. The hardest part was removal of the big tabs and smoothing those spots down.
Next, I pinned the legs with some 1/16" brass wire. I used some green stuff in the gap and test fitted them to the base while it was drying to ensure I could actually put it into the base. As recommended, I'm going to glue it into the base after it's been mostly painted.
And here's the Hierodule waiting for his arms. The plan is to get everything assembled by Friday night so that I have the weekend to paint.
Looking good so far
Spambot kill tally. . .337
Great stuff so far. I look forward to seeing it painted.
Everything is fine so far... did you give your Hierodule a good wash with dish soap (or degreaser) and an old toothbrush to remove the mold release agent? I think it is mandatory when working with resin models to ensure that primer will stick properly.
If you use magnets, I suggest to magnetize the Stranglers so you can turn your Barbed Hierodule into a Scythed Hierodule (using plastic scyting talons, even if they are a little too small) if needed.
Good luck with your Hierodule and post more WIP pics!
Yep. Washed with a toothbrush and some soap, Mostly assembled except for the base and the arms. I think I'm going to prime and do the basecoat on the carapace before assembling the arms, and then the figure gets a full wash.
I decided not to fully assemble the model until I had a chance to prime and basecoat the carapace pieces. Based on my experience with the Carnifexes and the dry fitting, I think getting at the carapaces when fully assembled will be tough. To protect the parts that will be glued, I added s thin coat of white glue, which I can prime over when dried, but will pop off with a little pressure from a knife.
Primed all of the pieces with Rustoleum High Heat (Almond) and then applied the first coat of Mechrite Red. This is a rough first coat. I'll go over the model tomorrow with some Scab Red to do the lining where the carapace meets the body and to hit some of the dark pits.
The figure is dry fitted in the base. I haven't glue him in yet.
I really do love that model, it's great to see him progressing.
I like the look of him. Although, if you're going to do some shading I could either blackline the carapace sections, or mix chaos black with the red. It'll give a darker and better tone/shade for you to work with.