The Mechanicus Project - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Renaissance Man Inquisitor Earl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    196 (x2)

The Mechanicus Project

As an artist, I find myself increasingly unable to stick to one project and follow it to conclusion. There almost is never a conclusion in art, and there lies my dilemma. As new and exciting ideas spring forward, my older and larger projects fall by the wayside. When I get near to finishing an army I have found myself advancing in skill and creativeness so much that I feel the need to redo the things already done, or to start anew.

I feel that I need to abandon my set ways of thinking about colour, painting and modelling itself. I am too rigid and organised in my thinking. I need to adopt a freer flow of inspiration and ideas. One of the main aims of this project is to achieve a portrayal of the feeling, mood and story behind my miniatures, rather than perfection of the painting.

The endless visual landscape of 40k holds a position of immense inspiration for me; in particular, the art and literature. Illustration as found in the Witch Hunters codex and Inquisitor rulebook I regard the highest. Artists such as John Blanche and Karl Kopinski are among my favourites. In terms of literature, Dan Abnett is the most influential and inspiring. The rich descriptive language he uses, as well as the depth of his characters are important factors. I particularly find inspiration in the way in which he focuses on the everyday individuals and functioning of the Imperium (as well as its enemies.) There are also many modellers that inspire me greatly. Dave Taylor, Mikael Silvanto (Migsula) and Mark Bedford are chief among them.

Right, to the point. I have started a few project logs that I have failed to keep updated recently. As a professional painter, I am currently very busy. This leaves little time for me to explore my own ideas or even finish work on old ones. I am working to better manage my time so that I can work fewer days and have time for myself and my own projects.

I hope this blog/plog becomes a way for me to interact with others in this hobby and get their ideas and thoughts. Good art is never a one-person thing. Itís all about the interaction and combining of ideas and in this I hope everyone feels like they can voice their opinions and interact. It would especially great to get more assistance from those that inspire me. Those that have commented on my other projects; the Dark Mechanicus log I had going etc, thankyou, you are not forgotten. If you think what Iím doing is cool, let me know. There is a certain degree of satisfaction gained when you know that others like your work.

The Details

My latest interests in armies are the Adeptus Mechanicus and the Dark Mechanicus. I have previously done some small forays into these forces but havenít really achieved anything I am proud of or that really captures the feel of the Mechanicus

Instead of starting off by aiming to make a whole 40k army for each force, my plan is to work on a small warband for each.
    Not only will this allow me to really focus on my modelling and painting, it will stop me from getting bored or overwhelmed.

I plan to make the war bands around 10 figures each. As I work on them I will develop their background, names etc and how they relate to my overall story. They all revolve around a Forgeworld of my own creation called Acieris.

Hopefully I will get a chance to design and build a themed gaming table for my war bands of some part of Acieris. At this point I have an idea of it being an abandoned rail yard, possibly leading to a secret underground experimental facility.

The long term plan is to slowly expand the war bands to make larger forces for normal 40k games. This expansion would also link the ongoing story behind them; the attack of Acieris by the forces of chaos, the intervention of the inquisition etc.

One aspect of the modelling thatís worth mentioning; since figures for the Adeptus Mechanicus and the Dark Mechanicus are nearly non-existent, it is obvious that I will need to do a fair amount of scratch-building, converting and sculpting. I am also planning to design, sculpt and mould/cast my own figures for things like praetorians/servitors etc but with my own flavour/take on the generally accepted aesthetic. The fun part will be in thinking, testing making etc. Iím sure there will be some failures and hard work involved, but thatís what itís all about. Hopefully there will be some happy mistakes and surprises.

Without further ado, here is some long awaited progress:

A WIP of my first assistant Tech Priest. It's really just a practice piece, although it's turned out to be a cool little model.

A WIP Tech-Servitor for my loyal AM warband. I got inspiration from the forge-world ones and all their cool little details and weirdness. Lots of work still to do; arms, details etc. I think the real 40k universe comes out in these cool little gothic dudes.

A Forgeworld Tech-Priest who I painted a few years ago and have ressurected for this project. He might get replaced but for now is serving as a piece to inspire my future sculpting efforts.

That's all for now, sorry for the long rant. I had to get it all out there so I can really get going on this mighty project. I'll be updating soon with some pics of all the stuff I have done so far, as well as my plans for the AM warband and the ideas for conversions involved.

Thanks for reading,
    Earl

I am Inquisitor Earl, fear my sandwich!

My website: www.ferrus-workshops.com

My blog: ferrus-workshops-blog

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    339 (x8)

Great stuff to read. I know your pain, I am certainly no professional painter so I don't have that excuse, but I still get distracted to easily and want to rehash previously "completed" projects.

The work you have done on these so far looks brilliant (which is usual for you, damn you!)and I look forward to seeing what else you churn out!

Are you going to play the warbands with some kind of Necromunda style rules for now?

I have to add, very well written post as well, pleasrue to read

Aliens ate my soul. Chubby_Jedi's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    358 (x6)

Wow your work is pretty outstanding. I can't wait to see more as your project develops.

Boomer.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    I AM BOOMER!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    248 (x4)

Outstanding conversions, if you keep them up to this level this will be a great looking force!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

196 (x2)

Thanks for the praise guys.

My greatest fear is that Iíll fall behind in progress in this project, but with the support I am getting both here and on the dakka forums, itís going to be easy to keep up. One of my main aims is to better my own work but hopefully I can inspire others at the same time.

Chrispcarter - I remember back to the days you commented on my 40k train show display, you have always been a great supporter, thanks.

Once I get the warbands nearing some sort of completion, Iíll be figuring out the rules. A lot of guys on the Dakkadakka forum are doing a thing called inquisimunda. Its necromunda rules with a bit of inquisitor and dark heresy style storytelling.

A lot of house rules, modifications etc are involved. Really it's all about modelling what you want, creating cool little stories to go with your characters and making the rules fit. To me, it's really a perfect outlet for my modelling. I get overwhelmed playing normal 40k games so this has got me excited. What's even better, the necromunda rules are free!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

339 (x8)

No thanks necessary, you make posts that are enjoyable to read so I sohuld be thanking you!

Inquisimunda sounds like fun, a bit of narrative gaming is often a great motivator to go the extra mile

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

196 (x2)

Iíve had to have a go at making a true scale marine after seeing all the awesome ones on this forum. Iíve decided to make him a Techmarine as a chapter called the Legio Ferrus has itís fortress Monastery on the same Forgeworld as my warbands and story is based around; Acieris. Lots of cleanup and sculpting to do, but itís a good start I reckon. True scale marines are just so much more appropriate to the aesthetic of 40k, it almost epitomises what got me into the hobby in the first place.

Got a bit more done on my Servitor. Working on the other arm. I've decided it might be best to just have 2 arms on this one rather than 4 like the Death korps one. I asked a friend what I should call it, and she said Jeff. So its now Tech Servitor Jeff Nx01.

Lastly, Iíve been doing some tests trying to achieve a rusty steel look on my baneblade. Not sure if I will keep this as the final layer or do some salt/hairspray masking. Itís been interesting trawling the Military modelling forums and checking out the amazing techniques guys like Mig Jimenez and Adam Wilder use. If you havenít seen the mig productions forums yet, go there. Some of the best modelmakers in the world regularly post there.

Since my airbrush is in storage atm because of flooding problems in my workshop, Iíve tried to see what I can achieve with acrylics and brushes. Itís all just washes, scratches, sponging etc. Hard to photograph but I think itís turned out well. Iíll end up using some oils and powders for the final rust stains and weathering though. I have discovered though that matte medium is awesome. Great for making washes and juices.

Cheers
    Earl

LO's resident Yowie Dead Dude Walking's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    272 (x4)

Mmm... They all look great!

I gotta get off the computer so REP!
    <----- Dead Dude's WIP Thread, in all it's pant wetting glory! :D

Monkey of Mystery The Paint Monkey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    743 (x8)

The rust effect on the BB is superb and I really like some of the conversions. Great stuff! Can you sculpt a bit of exposed brain on to Jeff? That would look uber-cool.
    No more NG spearmen, thanks! Now I need some pump-wagons!

King of the Burning Sands Backdraft005's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    71 (x3)

I've seen a lot Mechanicus project, but I never see them get finished, I hope you succeed where other fail.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast