Librarium Online Forums banner

A Space Wolves saga

25K views 107 replies 32 participants last post by  Tsele 
#1 ·
So, it has become time again, for yet another conversion and painting log. This time will be different though, this time I have a limited number of models and will finish:)

The first piece really was the one I entered in the CamelAid (thanks to all bidders and not least to minus_t who organized the whole thing).
This piece woke my appatite for the feral brothers from space.
The Space Wolves have a special place in my heart (or two actually) -they were the first minis I painted. My friend asked me to do a few models for him, and I had a blast painting the Ven Dread and Long Fangs. The second place they hold in my heart is that as the razers of Prospero. It made for some epic battles between my Thousand Sons and my friends Space Wolves back in the days.

So, it has become time to paint them again, yet again for a friend. This time however my skills have improved and I'm way more certain of my self as a sculptor, so I intend to build my friend a Space WOlf army the way I envision them, feral and barbaric with strong influence from the ancient scandinavian mythos.

The first unit is a pack of LongFangs. I went for two Missile Launchers and two heavy Bolters, I hop it's a good combo -if not I'll have to make more or swap the weapons:)

I also started working on a Rune Priest in Terminator Armour, maybe not the best choice of HQ but the general awesomness of the concept forced me to do it. He'll be given a cybernetic Raven and two wolves too as well as a long fur cloak.

Now, the first pics.

That's a Wolg Guard Battleleader , or at least so I imagine.
Next up is a few shots of the Long Fangs, one will be kept a secret though as I'll enter him in the "More Dakka"-comp.

As you can see they are in various stges of finishing, but please be patient with me...

Last is the early state Rune Priest. He's based on one of the old plastic Terminators, but little of the original will show once he's finished.

I'll try my best to keep this thread updated and the army to progress.

:qq:

See less See more
#3 ·
Cheers Pierced53, I'm glad you like them:)

As for the other question, on what tools I use for greenstuff-sculpting, it's really nothing fancy.
The tool I use the most is, by far, the GW sculpt-tool, I find it very convenient and it's a good multi-purpouse tool. Next in line is my scalpel, a metalhandle with exchangable blades. If you buy a too cheap scalpel you might get one where the "blade-gripping-thingie" (a screwable contraption) is made of plastic - avoid that as they generally don't hold the blade as good as the slightly more expensive metal ones.
I ust the scalpel for fine details such as the runes and the hairs/beard/fur.
I also use it to cut clean corners and edges once the greenstuff has cured (for like 24 hours). GS tends to expand a little while curing and especially if you make thick things you'll end up with bulgy and rounded edges, that's really not funny:/

Then finally I have a needle for even tinier details and a...crochet hook (is that the right word? it's a tool for..well not sewing but making things of strings...think old lady.) . A fine one to make nice round holes and some other details, it's good for reaching into them difficult places.

Oh, and also I use a bucketload of patience:)

Hope to finish the fourth LongFAng tonight and get pics up of him too. Then it's just the packleader left, but I got him planned already.

Cheers.

#7 ·
Great work, yet again.

Im still angry with you for dumping your Death Guard though :p

I particularly love the Rune priest- hes got a great pose and I love the way the hood covers his eyes- he looks like a Skald in futuristic armour, which is as it should be.

I really hope you go overboard on the Norse/Viking imagery and influence as I think it will look awesome.

#8 ·
Oh, but I havn't dumped my Death Guard...it's just that they lare prosponed for a while. Or really, now that I'm working on the Wolves it takes some creative preassure of them and I can actually pick one up and add some paint just as a break from the wolves. So, I try to see it as a win-win situation.

There's also quite a few blobs of GreenStuff left over when working on them pups and those tend to be added to something completely different project. Sometimes it's a DG and sometimes to a Ogrilator I'm working on for Inquisitor Earl.
So, there's nothing being seriously dumped I assure you.

I'm glad you like thhese wolves though, I most certainly enjoy working with them, the Rune Priest did get a pair of arms yesterday and I'll flesh them out today, adding some armour and fur. Then it's time for his cloak. It'll be big and blowing in the wind, like if he is somehow magically summoning a blizzard. I also plan to make him two wolf-companions from the Chaos Hounds I've got lying around, and a cybernetic Raven that I fear I'll have to make from scratch.

The paintjob on the fourth Long Fang is almost completed and apart from a few touching up things all he needs is a proper base.

To finish it all I thought I should add a list of the models this army will include, just so I can mark them red and feel good once they are done.

1 Land Raider Crusader...
2 Rhinos
2 Razorbacks
1 Predator
1 Drop Pod
1 Ven Dread

13 Blood Claws
10 Grey Hunters

5 Wolf Scouts
5 Long Fangs

3 Wolf Guard models (1 in Termie armor)
1 Wolf Priest (in Termie armor)
1 Iron Priest
1 Wolf Lord
1 Standard Bearer
1 Rune Priest
1 Wolf Guard with Mark of the Wulfen

There might sneak in one or a couple of more models but time will show:)

I'll try to get some pics up once there is something to show.
Until then, thanks for following yet another log of mine:)

#12 ·
^^

Wonderful work. My favourite has to be the beardy long fang. I love models with long hair/beards as I'm swinging that way myself (Hair anyway) and there's just not enough GW models like that. Rep for the inherent badassery.

You mentioned using ML's and HB's in the same squad though. That doesn't seem like it will work very well. The ML's are longer range, so you'll be wasting at least one extra turn getting your HB's into range when you could have been pouring out long range loving. I'd take Plasma Cannons and HB's in the same squad, and ML's and Lascannon together.

~ L

#13 ·
Cheers Dream Thief for the advice on the Long fangs. Now I must rebuild them, but as I have not applied the HBs yet there shouldn't be to much of a hazzle.
There might be some problems with their poses but I can just make a couple of new ones and use those models for something else.

ANd PM, indeed there's a difference between making loyalists and chaos models. Especially in the beginning when Nurgle is more about applying GS and adding tentacles and the like. But since I've done a fair share of Thousand Sons and Imperial Guard I gotten quite used to them sharp edges and clean lines.
But still, them freakier Chaos models are quite a relief.
Still, like someone greater than me once said "fantasy art demands extreme realism".

I've got some work done on the Rune Priest today, he's got arms now. I used his original powerfist as a left hand and made a new one for his right. But I tend to think they look a bit too varying in size, so I might redo one of them, not really sure yet. I mean he won't be armed with them anyway...but they do give him that "Hey, I'm carrying an armour weightin the same as a car"-look I really like.
I'll make some more work with the gs:ed one to see if I can make them look a bit more alike, but that's for another day:)

#15 ·
So... you have started without me... I'll fix you for that! Nah... just kidding!

The Long Fangs go along well as I can see. I really like bearded Space Vikings holding big guns. I think, as Dream Thief said, that the combo of ML and HB is not to playable. I would prefer to see 4 HB or 4 Lascannons or something along those lines... although my Wolf Fangs have all guns applied... That's another issue altogether.

The Rune Priest looks rather impressing. Especially the hood hiding most of his face! And I really like the hands. The one resting on the rune staff and the other like inviting the enemy to come closer... I have an issue with the foot and the GS joining it with the rest of the foot and the little GS blob under the other foot. But I'm sure of your talent and know that you will be making more of them!

On a side note. The list looks impressive. I will be joining along to see...

A beer from the finest in the Fang for you my friend! :beer:

#16 ·
Ah, his feet, they are far from finished my friend.
I have but cut one of them off and the GS youreffer to as a blob, is actually just a blob at this stage:)
I'll fix his feet once the rest is done, the cloak and all. I've been considering giving him some slightly bigger armour on the legs, like Scibor's models has but I'm not sure I have skill enough -I might give it a try though.

I'll go dig up my old Chaos Hounds now as I'm pretty sure they might make fine companions for the Space Wolves.

I'll also change the weaponry of them LongFangs.

Keep advice and critisism coming:)

#20 ·
I realy like the wolf gaurd with the spear.
AHem... I don't want to insult you man and don't take it the wrong way but the one you describe is a Rune Priest. That's the equivelant of a Librarian to a Space Wolves army... :act-up:

#23 ·
Alright, I've done some progress (no pics, sorry -they'll come later).

I added some details to the RunePriest, one of his shoulderpads has been given a wolf-skull instead of the human skull it originally has, and he also have the basis of a cloak modelled onto him. Or the skeleton of one really. I tried something new last night and used metal wires in blobs of GS to make a skeleton that I'll once it has cured will work more with.
This was due to the size of the cloak and how it will be blowing -that would have been very hard to make from GS alone. I hope this will work.

I also dug up my old hounds and will try to convert one of them into a Wolf, it might be awesome or it might be...well, not so awesome.

I also begun working on the WolfLord. I tried to give him like a bigger hair, and as I was pretty tired once the head was done last night I'm not sure of the result. I took some inspiration from the Golden Demon winning big Logan Grimnar, and well.. I sit at my work being quite thrilled about the result. Hopefully it turned out as I thought last night:)

I also started making an axe for him, not sure though wether it'll have one or two blades.

I'll get pics up once I have results of my experiments.

#25 ·
That sounds very interesting. I have little experience with the fantasy ranges, but I did consider the sabertusk for a while.
Then it all came down to the canis retalionship between my hounds and them wolves.

I had a plan for a while, to make a lone WolfGuard with the Mark of the Wulfen and have him accompanied by four wolves -it all fell when I re-read the codex bit though:/ They are not allowed the Wolves and those allowed Wolves are not allowed the Mark.
¨å
Still got to make him though wolves or not.

I'll have to follow your progress even more careful now. Those lions might be very cool and force me to reconsider.

#26 ·
I thought so... Never a good plan goes along well...

And as for the axe I would say double headed. It's more Viking that way! :act-up:

#28 ·
Unfortunately I can't give you any rep since I tend to give to you too often ;)

Amazing new project!

My first army is Space Wolves and they still have a big pice of my heart (the pice that is not pus filled and rotting)

They look great! I have a feeling that my wolves will make an apperance soon to when the new Codex rears up it ugly head.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.