Chaos Space Marines Project Log - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chaos Space Marines Project Log

Well, hello everyone, some of you may have seen me sculking on the forums about a year ago, and some of you may have even met me at the UK LO meet last year, sadly i missed the one last weekend due me just getting back from holiday and really not being fit to make it!

Onto the project and a little background is required. I've been into anything to do with Warhammer since about 1990 when my brother first got me into it, but then when i went off to uni 3 years ago it somewhat took a back seat role in my life and i have been quite out of the hobby loop compared to most people and compared to my gaming group. At christmas i decided i wanted to get back into it, and set about getting some purchases in as well as the berzerkers and champion as a present, but sadly time constraints were aginst me again, and i never got round to doing anything with them other than unwrapping them from the shrink wrap!

Well, now the time has come, i've finished uni and well and truly getting back into the hobby, and what better way than to start a project log whereby i have to keep going to avoid embrassment!

My chosen army is Chaos Space Marines, although i'm currently undecided on what legion to go for, the original plan was for Night Lords although i find myself being drawn into doing a Word Bearers army, but a somewhat darker and murkier red and silver than the ones from the 'dex (to bright imo). So the jury is still out on what legion to do, and i'm not just thinking of the two mentioned but they seem the most likely.

I'll try and keep the topic fresh with regular updates, and will post as much about the building and any converting done as i will the painting!

The beginning.......

1 box of Chaos Space Marines
    1 box of Chaos Terminators
    1 box of Chaos Khorne Berzerkers
    1 blister containing Khorne Lord
    Lots of chaos bits including a rather large amount of Noise Marine weapons

Last edited by dan1986; July 11th, 2009 at 00:15. Reason: Labelled up the image contents
    Back in the zone!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    81 (x1)

If you are going to choose between Night Lords or Word Bearers, I'd take the last one. Word Bearers worships all the chaos gods and therefore could have all kinds of troops like berzerkers and noise marines fighting alonside one another. This gives you alot of flexibility in what you choose to field in your force. If you pick one of the other legions, especially the four god-spesific, this is abit harder to defend, fluff-wise. Besides, Word Bearers has one of the best-looking colour scheemes of the traitor legions imo Another good choise is Iron Warriors. They are much like the Word Bearers in that they worship all chaos gods in equal measure.

If you decide to pick either Word Bearers or Iron Warriors, I'd suggest you read Dark Apostle or Storm of Iron. They are some of the best Warhammer novels I have read and depicts the two legions very well. Perhaps you will get some inspiration for your army while you read them

Chilli Fueled Heretic danjones87's Avatar
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1329 (x8)

Looking forward to seeing this army progress. Have you decided how the bases are going to look once you have finished?

Dan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Luftwaffel View Post
    If you are going to choose between Night Lords or Word Bearers, I'd take the last one. Word Bearers worships all the chaos gods and therefore could have all kinds of troops like berzerkers and noise marines fighting alonside one another. This gives you alot of flexibility in what you choose to field in your force. If you pick one of the other legions, especially the four god-spesific, this is abit harder to defend, fluff-wise. Besides, Word Bearers has one of the best-looking colour scheemes of the traitor legions imo Another good choise is Iron Warriors. They are much like the Word Bearers in that they worship all chaos gods in equal measure.

If you decide to pick either Word Bearers or Iron Warriors, I'd suggest you read Dark Apostle or Storm of Iron. They are some of the best Warhammer novels I have read and depicts the two legions very well. Perhaps you will get some inspiration for your army while you read them
    Won't do Iron warriors, they suck, just ask DanJones
    Agree with you about Word Bearers, alot more flexibility with regards to choices, and after doing a bit more research and thinking i have decided to go with the Word Bearers for my army, and will hopefully be reading Dark Apostle pretty soon

Quote Originally Posted by danjones87 View Post
    Looking forward to seeing this army progress. Have you decided how the bases are going to look once you have finished?

Dan
    Think i'm gonna just do them brown, with odd bits of static grass here and there, will allow me to do the board i was saying where it can be a desert with little tufts of grass, and eventually put the ruined city in the desert MadMax style

I have a question for people, i was thinking about sculpting an icon for the shoulder pads and making a stamper, however the current symbol is too hard for me to sculpt, however i actually prefer the pre-heresy symbol of the book with flames coming out of it. Question is, would they look odd being very chaosy (lots of spikes and all horned helmets) but having the pre-heresy icon? My opinion is they would be fine, just want to see the genereal consensus

Current Icon

Previous Icon

Thanks for reading,
    dan
    Back in the zone!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

81 (x1)

It's your army so I say go for the pre-heresy icon if you want to
    Besides, it's a symbol of their most holy texts, the Book of Lorgar and thats pretty heretical and chaosy imo. It's slightly easier to sculpt too. But you do have the option of buying lots of the bitz packs with WB shoulderpads found here. They already have the legion symbol, but it's quite expencive for a whole army. Then again it would look awesome so I guess you would have to choose between awesome or cheap army

According to Lexicanum, the WB split into chapters of 1000 warriors, much like the loyalists, after the heresy. From Lexicanum:
    Pre-heresy, the legion was split into Chapters of 1000 Word Bearers each, made up of 10 Companies of a hundred Word Bearers5. They each with their own iconography. Four of these chapters are known, bearing these logos:
    • A quill with a drop of blood at the nib
    • An open hand with an eye in the palm
    • A burning book
    • A sceptre crowned with a skull
    Each of these chapters represented a different aspect of the Word of Lorgar.
    Whit that in mind you could in addition to the legion symbols, have your very own chapters. This gives you even more freedome in creating your army

Chilli Fueled Heretic danjones87's Avatar
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1329 (x8)

Just to throw you off course HERE.

Im thinking renegade wolves.....

Dan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Luftwaffel View Post
    It's your army so I say go for the pre-heresy icon if you want to
    Besides, it's a symbol of their most holy texts, the Book of Lorgar and thats pretty heretical and chaosy imo. It's slightly easier to sculpt too. But you do have the option of buying lots of the bitz packs with WB shoulderpads found here. They already have the legion symbol, but it's quite expencive for a whole army. Then again it would look awesome so I guess you would have to choose between awesome or cheap army

According to Lexicanum, the WB split into chapters of 1000 warriors, much like the loyalists, after the heresy. From Lexicanum:
    Whit that in mind you could in addition to the legion symbols, have your very own chapters. This gives you even more freedome in creating your army
    OMG! didn't read the part about splitting into chapters, may go for the burning book, although the quill with blood drop sounds interesting as well, shall have to give it some thought, many thanks and some rep for you!

Quote Originally Posted by danjones87 View Post
    Just to throw you off course HERE.

Im thinking renegade wolves.....

Dan
    haha, was chatting to John earlier and said i want to get the majority of my Word Bearers done before the wolves come out, and then do a wolves army but paint them pre-heresy colours
    Back in the zone!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Made some progress over the last couple of days, got my first unit of Word Bearers built, the unit hads 2 meltaguns, a power fist wielding aspiring champion and an icon bearer:

Have also had a resin piece donated by one of my gaming group, flayedone583 on the forums, which will make a very nice dark crozius for my leader:

And after deciding to make my own chapter symbol i sculpted a book onto a shoulder pad and some ropes that are holding it down, just need to make a stamper for it now and get it on the shoulders of all my boys:

I'm happy with how the shoulder pad turned out, really wanted to do flames coming out of the book but this is far beyond my sculpting skills.

Pleased with the start i've made so far, but i normally make a good start with an army, the coming weeks will tell all though, as thats when i generally lose interest and think of a 'better' project to be doing instead and leave the last one on the 'to do list'!

Cheers for reading,
    dan
    Back in the zone!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

81 (x1)

Nice looking chapter symbol!
    Looking foreward to seeing it mass-produced
    Just a thought.... you could paint the pages differently with different symbols, text and so on, to differentiate between the squads. Like, some pages are shown for normal troops and different pages is visible for heavy support and chosen squads.

+ Reply to Thread