Need a bit of help - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need a bit of help

well i found a clolor scheme i made that i like, which i made that im calling the green marines. i made it with the space marine painter but csm and sm are the same basicall. the only problem is i need helping matching my colors to the GW paints.

the picture is in the attachments TY!

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/DEVINM%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]

Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

has a ca-fading facade Jackmoddle's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    223 (x4)

Here's how I would do it;
    Prime Chaos Black
    Green: Basecoat Dark Angels Green and highlighting up to Scorpion Green
    Yellow: Sunburst Yellow (maybe put a basecoat of grey or white on those parts first)
    Black: Chaos Black with Codex Grey highlights
    Metal: Chaos Black and Boltgun Metal, or Non-metallic with Black highlighting through Fortress Grey to Skull White

Hope this helps. Good luck!
    Honey badger don't care.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    282 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Jackmoddle View Post
    Yellow: Sunburst Yellow (maybe put a basecoat of grey or white on those parts first)
    Deficiently!!! put a basecoat of white on those part first, the secret to paint a good looking yellow is to use a bright basecoat You can always shade the yellow, but its hard get it to look good after half a millimetre of thick paint
    Keep the paint diluted and thin :)
    (first rule in Zentradis book of painting)
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/Zentradi

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

223 (x4)

Devin's Space Marine Tutorial

Here's a little step-by-step tutorial for you. This is my first Space Marine and first time doing this kind of colour scheme, so you'll be able to relate and might even end up with a nicer looking mini than me. Few tips: always keep your paint layers thin; a couple thin layers is better than one thick, especially with the brighter colours. Also, keep it simple. Don't try to go into little details before you get the basic paint job down. That will all come with time.

Step 1

Prime with chaos black paint or spray paint. Either mask off the parts that are to be yellow, or paint the with skull white afterward (you want a solid white base for your yellow to come through) Notice I'm not too concerned with neatness at this point, especially with the white which can always be covered over with darker colours. Try to be a little less messy with dark colours as they're harder to cover up.

Step 2

Next, paint the yellow portions with sunburst yellow. You may need a couple coats to get a solid cover. Paint the Green areas with Dark Angels Green. Don't leave any black showing axcept in areas such as between cracks in the armour. Finally, paint the metal parts with 50/50 Boltgun Metal and Chaos Black. Sometimes I prefer to do NMM (non-metal metallics) which have the same effect without the shininess. It's really the same though, just using a 50/50 of Chaos Black and Fortress Grey instead.

That's all I have for now; more will be up when I get some time.

Jack
    Honey badger don't care.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

223 (x4)

Step 3

Now that your base coats are on, paint the green areas with a 50/50 mix of DA Green and Scorpion Green. I don't have Scorpion green so I mixed my own, but it's pretty close. Paint this colour everywhere that wouldn't be in strong shadow (I painted it on the whole shoulder pads, but not in some spots on the underside of his legs that wouldn't get any light) If you need to, give the yellow parts another coat to ensure the colour is showing well. Then drybrush Boltgun Metal on the bolter (look up drybrushing if you haven't done it before, but basically it's the easiest painting method around). I also picked out details like his eyes and the seal on his leg with Red Gore, and the skulls and armour vents with Fortress Grey. With a bit of basing, the model is more than acceptable for tabletop gaming at this point, all without any real highlights yet. You could paint your whole army to this point and have them look great- doing any additional highlighting is just to make the model really pop.
    Honey badger don't care.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

223 (x4)

Step 4

There are many different techniques for highlighting. The most common is to simply continue lightening the paint with with or lighter versions (depending on the colour), covering less and less area each time until the highest highlight picks out only the places where light would reflect most (upward facing sharp edges). The army painter image you had is a good guide to show you where to paint your highlights. The other method, which I've used her and which works great for armour and vehicles, is to paint lines of very light highlight (in this case, 50/50 scropion green and white, and 50/50 sunburst yellow with white) around the edges of the entire armour. This causes the armour to stand out from a distance. If you think the contrast is too great, you can pick an intermediate colour to paint between it and the main colour to get a better blending effect. On the sharpest, brightest corners i painted an almost white highlight. Then I picked out some other little details on the model, put a highlight of Blood Red on the eyes and based it (a good basing makes a huge difference). I even put a transfer from the Salamanders on the shoulder pad for fun.

Hope this was helpful- I tried to make it all sound simple but it came out a bit wordy. If you're scared off by all the steps, just try the simple ones, and try things out for yourself as well. The most important thing is that with practice anyone can make great minis (If I can do it, anyone can). You just need to keep working at it and always do things that are fun and keep your interest- don't worry about making yours look like everyone else's, just paint them how you want. It's your hobby, after all. Anyway, good luck and cheers!

Jack
    Last edited by Jackmoddle; August 23rd, 2009 at 22:02.
    Honey badger don't care.

+ Reply to Thread