dipping 250+ Orks...let the insanity begin - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dipping 250+ Orks...let the insanity begin

So I've decided it's time to get my Ork Deffskull army painted. Being a slow and bad painter, I've been putting this off as long as I can.

I was really impressed with the Ork dipping tutorial on BoLS. It looked like a fast and easy way to get a huge number of models painted in a short amount of time and have them look better than average...perfect for someone as lazy as me.

I started off with a couple test models, and finished painting and dipping 7 of them last night. They were dry by morning, and I then applied the matte varnish.

I did a couple things different from the BoLS guide, and I have a couple things to add which they forgot. Instead of using a flying base, I glued the bottom of the ork's base to the head of a screw which was inserted into a power drill. One thing they forgot to mention, which is VERY important: make sure you do this in a well ventilated area. Wood stain, combined with super glue, will get you dizzier than Gorilla Glue. Another thing I'd like to add: When using the matte varnish, a little goes a long ways. And make sure to shake it very well(more so than spray paint. I used Krylon Matte Finish). The first model I applied the varnish too got a little too much of it and it started to bubble

Here is a picture of the unpainted horde:

finished product:

what happens when you use too much matte varnish:

This is the start of a 30-ork slugga mob. Suggestions/comments are welcome.

Coming soon:
    more slugga boys!
    lootas!

Last edited by nuclearfeet; October 11th, 2009 at 08:58. Reason: added pictures
    Take a look at my modeling, painting, and terrain blog
    The Iron Cage

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    337 (x6)

Subscribed. This could be interesting. You may get some stick for this thread, a lot of people hate dipping, but I say ignore it. Dipped miniature may not look as good as hand painted one, but they look 100 times better than unpainted ones. Your test examples look good, I'll be interested to see how this turns out. Good luck on the other 243+

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    56 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by matus View Post
    You may get some stick for this thread, a lot of people hate dipping
    Not entirely sure i agree with that, i think most people appreciate the reality of painting a 250 model count gamers army to GD standard. I say good luck to you and look forward to seeing your army progress.

Edit:- unless you take 18 months doing it... then you should paint them
    Kobalt's TOP results thus far: ( W / D / L )

Ultramarines 8 / 2 / 0 Dark Elves 0 / 0 / 0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x1)

Could you take a picture of your screw method for spinning the models? I'm interested in doing this myself.

Also in the BoLS article they mentioned not using metallic paints. What do you think about that?

Cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    337 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by kobalt1974 View Post
    Not entirely sure i agree with that, i think most people appreciate the reality of painting a 250 model count gamers army to GD standard. I say good luck to you and look forward to seeing your army progress.

Edit:- unless you take 18 months doing it... then you should paint them
    Not everyone, only a small minority and I'm not one of them but people can be quite snobby about it. I think any painted miniature is better than unpainted. It shows you've tried and its nicer to play against. I wish nuclearfeet lots of luck with this. I have rep on standby ready and waiting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thats what the drill setup looks like. Bottom of the base goes on the end of the nail.

I was wondering about the metallic paints myself, as they didn't go into detail as to why you shouldn't use them. I guess there's only one way to find out...
    Take a look at my modeling, painting, and terrain blog
    The Iron Cage

King of the Burning Sands Backdraft005's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    71 (x3)

I want to see this... if this goes well I may just by two black reach box and make two new armies Space Wolves and Orkies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x3)

250 dipped orks looks a million times better than 20 painted orks and 230 black primed orks

i hate people who play with unpainted models, i only do it when i'm trying new units out in friendly games before i buy the models

therefore i support this endeavor
    Last edited by Kelter Skelter; October 11th, 2009 at 21:54.

+ Reply to Thread