Eldar Project Log - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

Eldar Project Log

Hello all,

First and foremost let me say thank you for viewing my Eldar project log. This is my first 'blog' or project log that I've done here at LO (or ever, for that matter).
    I am not the best painter in the world, but I'm not the worst. I'm not that great at conversions, but I am still learning.
    Please comment and criticize as you see fit.
    Above all.. ENJOY!

On to the pictures! (this is the best lighting I have.. sorry)

First, what's complete? (alphabetical order, cause I'm like that..)

Dark Reapers x4 [including Exarch w/ EML]

Dire Avengers x8 [including Exarch]

Wave Serpent w/ EML [for Dire Avengers]

Fire Dragons x5 [including Exarch]

Guardian Defender x15 [with Warlock and Starcannon]

Wraithguard x7

Wraithlord [with EML and BL] and Avatar

==Put together, but not painted or finished==

Dark Reapers x5 [including Exarch with EML]

Autarch x2

Rangers x5

Shining Spears x4 [including Exarch w/ Star Lance]

Striking Scorpions x5 [including Exarch]

Swooping Hawks x6 [including Exarch]

Vyper x3 w/ Scatter Lasers

Wave Serpent [w/ Shuri's] (for Storm Guardians)

Wave Serpent [w/ Bright Lance] (for Banshees)

===NOT PICTURED or not assembled===
    10x Storm Guardians
    6x Banshees w/ Exarch
    5x Warlocks on foot (various)
    10x Harliquins
    5x Shining Spears w/ Exarch
    6x Jetbikes
    2x Farseer
    10x Dire Avengers
    4x Wraithlord
    1x Autarch on Jetbike
    2x Fire Prism
    1x Wave Serpent
    10x Swooping Hawks
    Fuegan
    Eldrad

The reason I have so much listed without pictures... is because I haven't had time to get to them, or I've recently aquired them.
    ...that being said - I have a lot of work on my hands. As I make progress, I will update this project log.

Thanks again for checking out my project!

P.S.: Mods... I wasnt sure what sizes to make my pictures, please resize if necessary. Thanks!

Eldar Project Log
    Saim-Hann Eldar: 5000 Points

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

I like how you painted the blue on the wave serpent, very nice.
    Space Marines (W7/D2/L4) Orks (W0/D0/L0)
    Goblins (W1/D1/L2)
    Join my Tau army

Keeper of Records and Ale King Ulrik Flamebeard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

Some nice looking minis here. You're painting is quite good, but you might need to work on your blending - it is most noticeable on the dragon's weapons. But overall, a nice looking force. Keep up the work.

Kuffy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by King Ulrik Flamebeard View Post
    Some nice looking minis here. You're painting is quite good, but you might need to work on your blending - it is most noticeable on the dragon's weapons. But overall, a nice looking force. Keep up the work.

Kuffy
    Thanks Kuffy! The blending on the Fire Dragon's weapons was my first ever attempt at blending. I am a fairly amature painter, so I am still learning some techniques. I wasn't that impressed with it.. but I won't hide my flaws. I am always open to suggestions as well. Thanks for the kudos!

Quote Originally Posted by Slim21 View Post
    I like how you painted the blue on the wave serpent, very nice.
    Thank you - it was a bold step using that bright of a blue. I know a lot of Eldar players user a bit darker blue, or only use it for accents. I wanted it to be -very- bold.. and it turned out as such. That will be the only vehicle in my army painted that blue color. I am in the process of striping my Vypers to focus on a Saim-Hann scheme. The Wraithguard and Guardians are going to stay blue/white (since I don't use them much anyhow). I will end up repainting the Wraith Lord to relfect the Saim-Hann scheme as well.
    Eldar Project Log

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    253 (x7)

Hello, Ive seen these minis in person so I will comment on them:

First...errors in your assembly: The TL EML serpent's Shuriken Cannon is attached upside down and although arguebly..the spirit stone should be turned the other way...as in I think it is upside down. This may be a personal preference though.

Your DA exarch gun is broken, if you need a new bit I will give you one.

The shining spear exarch either gets the TL shuriken catapults or Shuriken cannon upgrade. You have him modeled to have both.

Now on to my personal preference: you should remodel your scorpion exarch to have a power claw or biting blade asap. Also im not quite sure, but i Believe he gives up his pistol shots to take chain sabres. So if that is true...then he would be modeled incorrectly as well.

Now onto the work in progress: Did you paint all these or did some of these come painted? either way I think i like the old dark reapers better than the new models personally!

The fire dragons look good. As for blending their weapons, try dry brushing or using a wash in that area....make sure you know what youre doing with the wash though. wouldnt want you end up washing the whole arm on accident (a little bit of wash goes a long way)

Also your minis paint is extremely dull. I suggest using some Enchanted blue to high light all your minis, if you wanna do mass production, just dry brush them. THen I would apply a thin coat of gloss. This will give them protection from chipping and give them a hint of shine. Its a matter of personal taste but I think it looks good on eldar. Good luck bro
    Eldar -APOC- 6500 Points
    Chaos Daemons -Fate Crusher- 3500 Points
    Grey knights - 1000 Points

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by ericismyname View Post
    Hello, Ive seen these minis in person so I will comment on them:

First...errors in your assembly: The TL EML serpent's Shuriken Cannon is attached upside down and although arguebly..the spirit stone should be turned the other way...as in I think it is upside down. This may be a personal preference though.

Your DA exarch gun is broken, if you need a new bit I will give you one.

The shining spear exarch either gets the TL shuriken catapults or Shuriken cannon upgrade. You have him modeled to have both.

Now on to my personal preference: you should remodel your scorpion exarch to have a power claw or biting blade asap. Also im not quite sure, but i Believe he gives up his pistol shots to take chain sabres. So if that is true...then he would be modeled incorrectly as well.

Now onto the work in progress: Did you paint all these or did some of these come painted? either way I think i like the old dark reapers better than the new models personally!

The fire dragons look good. As for blending their weapons, try dry brushing or using a wash in that area....make sure you know what youre doing with the wash though. wouldnt want you end up washing the whole arm on accident (a little bit of wash goes a long way)

Also your minis paint is extremely dull. I suggest using some Enchanted blue to high light all your minis, if you wanna do mass production, just dry brush them. THen I would apply a thin coat of gloss. This will give them protection from chipping and give them a hint of shine. Its a matter of personal taste but I think it looks good on eldar. Good luck bro
    Thanks for the comments, criticism, and compliments!

As far as the EML serpent's cannon goes.. I didn't realize it was upside down until I glued it, primed it, then painted it.. oops - it's gonna stay that way. The stones were put on there that way because I preferred how they looked. I figured as long as they were on there......
    You'll notice that I went through and 'corrected' my issue with the turret mounted guns on the other Wave Serpents. I figured you'd enjoy that most... but you didn't comment

The DA gun broke in transport to CHG that day for the tourny. I have since gotten better protection. I might take you up on that bit, btw. I think I have another one handy - I'll get back to you on that.

As far as the shining spear exarch goes, I didn't know you couldnt model them with both (and specifically use the cannon upgrade only) - I'll get that fixed asap.

The striking scorpions came modeled that way.. including the Exarch. The person who gave them to me had modelled the guns attached to the sabres. I haven't really used the scorpions enough to want to paint and/or remodel them - I pretty much just leave them on the shelf anyhow.

Everything that is painted (except for the Warp Spiders) was done so by my own hand. I know the paint is kind of dull - but at first, that is what I was going for. Since I have decided to go with a more "Saim-Hann" approach to my army, I will be repainting most of the stuff anyhow. I am going to leave the blue wave serpent and DA's alone. The Wraithguard, Wraithlord, Guardians, etc (all the other blue stuff) will get repainted. I agree that they don't have much accent.. but at the time I painted them, I didn't have the right paints to do the highlights that I wanted. Unforunately there are no stores near me that sell GW paints. My only options are 'hobby craft paints' from Michael's, or Privateer Press paints. I do have a glossy spray I could use, but I'm afraid that will make them TOO shiney. I am looking for something I could PAINT onto the models to give them both protection, and shine - not sure how I feel about either yet though.
    I don't feel that I am that good of a painter to begin with.. so I just try to make them look as good as I can, with what tools and abilities that I have. I am most proud of the blue Wave Serpent, and the Dark Reapers exarch (especially the effects on the EML). The Fire Dragon's blending was my first ever attempt at blending. I'm afraid to do much more with it in lue of messing it up worse. I might just paint it a solid color and go from there... I'm definitely open to suggestions on how to blend better though.
    Being newer to Eldar, I'm not sure which Dark Reaper models are the newer of the two. I painted the squad of 4, because it was smaller, and I just tried it on a whim.

I'll have to get some more pictures up / replace some that I have up already - I've gotten a LOT more work done. I have another Wave Serpent completed, all 4 Seer council jetbikes (just the bikes, not the riders) are done, and I did some touch-up work to some other models that I noticed blemishes on after I posted pictures.

As a side note - I think the original post is "too much" and am going to go down to links that people can click on to see what they want, rather than getting bombarded with 500 images.
    Eldar Project Log

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    253 (x7)

Privateer press paints arnt bad. Get a blue and mix it with a little white. Then get an old small brush. put paint on it and wipe it off until none of shows on the paper towel. Then brush over all the blue spots alot until you see the light blue show up on the accents of the model.

As for not wanting to much gloss. to just a few sprays at a time. let it dry. then a few more sprays until you get the desired affect. the gloss makes them look pretty and protects from chipping.
    Eldar -APOC- 6500 Points
    Chaos Daemons -Fate Crusher- 3500 Points
    Grey knights - 1000 Points

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by ericismyname View Post
    Privateer press paints arnt bad. Get a blue and mix it with a little white. Then get an old small brush. put paint on it and wipe it off until none of shows on the paper towel. Then brush over all the blue spots alot until you see the light blue show up on the accents of the model.

As for not wanting to much gloss. to just a few sprays at a time. let it dry. then a few more sprays until you get the desired affect. the gloss makes them look pretty and protects from chipping.
    Cool thanks for the advice
    Eldar Project Log

Mississauga/GTA - PM and lets set up a game!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x1)

Nice looking minis. Looking forward to seeing your progress.
    Dark Angels WIP (completed) | more pics
    Guess this explains why I like my Dark Eldar so much...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by DarkPhoenix View Post
    Nice looking minis. Looking forward to seeing your progress.
    Thanks! More to come. The Wave Serpent with Bright Lances is in it's final stages. I made some corrections last night... thougth I was finished.. then changed a bunch. Once I get the Farseer council RIDERS finished, I will post those pictures up. Got the Banshees 'built' (glued some arms on)... Hopefully I'll get the Serpent finished tonight and post it up.
    Eldar Project Log

+ Reply to Thread