Dilemmachine's WIP thread - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dilemmachine's WIP thread

So I've only recently started painting (this summer) and I've got a couple things going. I have a guard army that I'm working on (but my main focus has been on speed not quality of painting) so more recently I wanted to start another army to try to make look really nice.
    I decided on Dark Angels just because I love the deathwing paint scheme.
    So I picked up some assault terminators, magnetized the arms and am almost done my initial "test" figure.

I used a really helpful deathwing tutorial on codex unforgiven and I think it's turned out pretty well so far.

So what's left to do on this guy is arms and base.

Also, what are people's opinions on lightning claws? Should I go for the graded blue colour or just metallic colour?

Let me know what you guys think and maybe how I can improve.

Thanks for taking a look!

Last edited by Dilemmachine; February 5th, 2010 at 03:58.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    470 (x8)

The only possible way I can see that you can improve is to add a little more detail to this guy - maybe a little highlighting on the chest eagle, and some on the lenses (are you familiar with painting gems and lenses? I'll just assume yes for now...)

And my opinion is that lightning claws are good in any form, be they metallic or blue. I think metallic might work better with this guy, though, the blue might look a bit out of place.

Really nice work, I'm looking forward to seeing more from you!
    Rabbit; Our Tau community has the talent of figuring out how to turn a feather into a timebomb. Macgyver would be jealous.
    8people; Honey, why is my fluffwars story your shopping list?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x1)

I agree with the previous poster - a bit of highlight and its perfect - though it works like it is already, just depends on the style that you like.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    397 (x6)

The color on the armour is very well done - it's hard to get Bleached Bone to cover smoothly like that and your shading is very well done. I think that it would benefit from just a small bit of highlighting though to really make the model pop.

Great work on him so far!
    General Project Log Things I Paint
    Seeing Red A Khador Log
    Stuck Between Stations My Blog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First of all, thanks for taking a look and providing some input - it's very appreciated.
    So I added some pure skull white highlights to the armor, some scorpion green highlights on the chest and did a little detail work on the lenses/gems.

I'm quite happy with the look of him right now.
    Next up will be his arms and his base, then on to the rest of his squad.

I also wanted to ask how the quality of the pictures are and what I could do to improve them.

p.s. These pictures were taken during the day where as the previous ones were at night

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    470 (x8)

In terms of your photographs, more light generally equals better pictures. I try and use natural light where I can because I'm lazy and I don't really have a good lamp. If you use multiple lamps, make sure they're all the same type - all incandescent, all LED or what have you. Most cameras will automatically compensate for the light source.

A tripod can be really handy for miniature photography although it's not essential, especially if you don't really have any other use for it.

If you happen to have two lamps, I think the generally accepted method is to put one above the model, and shine the other from where your camera is shooting, so you get good lighting all over the model.

And if you have a camera where you can play with ISO settings, Aperture and/or Shutter speeds, experiment a little and see what works. I'm still experimenting myself, and probably will be for some time yet.

Hope it helps!
    Rabbit; Our Tau community has the talent of figuring out how to turn a feather into a timebomb. Macgyver would be jealous.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just have a pretty minor update, I've done a couple coats on the arms (not the skulls obviously). I've tried getting the lighting a little better on my pictures too.
    Sorry the side view picture is a little blurry.

Still have a couple more coats on the bone (highlights included), the skulls, and some highlighting on the metallics, and the base of course.

Master of the Universe BIGphil22X's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    49 (x1)

Dilemmachine, I absolutely love the deathwing scheme. I have seen multiple attempts at it, especially after the DA codex came out a while back. Yet none of them have even rivaled this one. I think you pretty much nailed the consistency of tone and shadow, as well as some pretty good highlights.

Nothing to criticize, and most certainly some rep. Please finish this army! (even though it's one guy for now lol)
    "Sanguine, my brother."

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

470 (x8)

Still looking wonderful - and I can see the difference in your pictures too, so good work there also!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok so I finally finished up this guy tonight and I must say I'm quite happy with the way it's turned out. I'm too embarrassed to post one of my first minis (it's that bad). But I think I'm making some pretty good progress. One thing that definitely needs work is my speed (also faces, I'm pretty bad at that).

Now I know there's no icon on the shoulder pad and I do not have the artistic ability nor the hand steadiness to ruin this model with attempted freehand. My plan is the buy some waterslide decal paper and print out some deathwing shoulder pad icons. I think this will look ok.

So next up is the rest of this squad, some work on my guard army, and if I have time a little scenery project I've been cooking up in my head.
    Oh and also I have an entire 2000pt WoC army coming in the mail sometime... Ugh I tend to get myself in a little too deep (like everyone else seems to in this hobby)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast