Hearts of Iron: A Steel Legion Army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    176 (x3)

Hearts of Iron: A Steel Legion Army

Hello there fellow gamers.

To kick-start my contributions in the form of pics to LO, I've decided to share with you my current project. I already have a large army of Cadians (more than 3000 points) but I felt like something a little bit different. I really like guard armies, particularly for their conversion potential, and the way in which they play. However, my last army was infantry based, with tank support. So, for this army, I will be heading into the mechanised section.

Why pick Steel Legion? Well, to be honest, they look awesome. But I didn't feel like forking out for the metal ones that GW does, so I decided to have a go at building my own, using the plastic Cadians as a basis (by the way, my thanks go to Brother Argos for giving me the idea and inspiration). I'll try to get some pics up tonight, but my camera is currently charging.

So, hopefully that has wetted your appetite. As the saying goes, watch this space

2500 points of Empire for ToXG: Points painted for month 4: 0 Points painted overall: 510

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

That Which Has No Time Red Archer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    531 (x8)

Can't wait to see the pictures, Chad!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

176 (x3)

Well, things have moved a lot more quickly than I expected. So, here are a few shots of my 'counts-as' chimera.

I know it's not very neat in places, and I am in the process of tidying it up.

So, how did I build it.

I followed the basic steps from an old issue of Whtie Dwarf, taking the main parts of a Leman Russ hull, with additional parts at the front, from a chimera. The wheels I picked up from a store close to me, but I had to make my own hubcaps out of green stuff. Mudguards came from the tank accessories sprue, with some extra details from my bitz-box.

As I previously mentioned, I am counting it as a chimera. You can see that it is a similar size. However, if it's small 'hold' is a problem for people, it is going to be for my command squad, so only a few men will be in it.

Anyway, I hope you like it, and do feel free to give me any pointers.
    Last edited by ChadMS; February 20th, 2010 at 19:51.
    2500 points of Empire for ToXG: Points painted for month 4: 0 Points painted overall: 510

Chilli Fueled Heretic danjones87's Avatar
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1329 (x8)

Looking nice there. I hope to see some great steel legionares like brother argos's.

Dan

Librarian from Hell Andusciassus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    746 (x8)

Very interesting project Chad.
    The Chimera or (Wolverine? ) looks great and I look forward on seeing where you take this army.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

Looking good, i really like those little Chimeras. Some good use of parts there.

I think the palsticard could do with some rivets. That way they wont stand out from the Chimera/Russ parts. If you need a hand for ideas just ask.

Subscribed.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

176 (x3)

Cheers for all the replys guys, it means a lot to me, and is very encouraging.

@Andusciassus
    Hmmm, Wolverine. Interesting name. Thanks for the idea, I will put it into consideration.

@Lord Borak.
    Thanks for the advice. Rivets would be a good idea, and I'll get working on them as soon as I can.

Right then, time for some updates. Here are some pictures of my Commander. Parts such as the long trench coat, helmet, mask and shoulder pads were all sculpted from greenstuff. He's been my first major scratch-building project, and I'm pretty pleased with the result.

I apologise for the painting. I suppose it's passable, but it isn't my best. I'll have to start another thread for models that i've really taken my time on, and not just painted to my basic standard.

Do please feel free to criticise and comment.

Egg Head Miniatures:fbook And Justice For All's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

963 (x8)

Good looking Chimers conversion. Puts me in mind of some of the 'PIG' armoured cars used in Northern Ireland by the British.

One observation. It's size is notably smaller than a standard Chimera which would give you an advantage re: LOS. Smaller profile makes it harder to see. Might be an idea to get the 'footprint' of the vehicle to be the same as the GW one.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

176 (x3)

@Justice
    You are of course correct, but the size difference isn't huge, so shouldn't give me a massive advantage. As long as my opponent is ok about it (which they generally are) then I should be able to use it. In fact, my armoured car is actually slightly taller, so it balances out fairly well. Thanks for the comment.

Right, time for some more updates. You may be wondering about how I am moving so quickly, but the answer is that I started this project a little while ago, and have only just got around to uploading pictures.

Anyway, I finished this guy the other day, and he is a medic for my command squad. For now, he is 'in the green'. I'm even more pleased with him than my commander.

I'm really happy with how all the little details turned out, although these pictures really make any mistakes stand out a mile. Keep the comments coming guys.

Librarian from Hell Andusciassus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    746 (x8)

Oh, cheers Chad, but the name isn't really my idea
    Kevan Downey made something similar a few years back and named it Wolverine LINK
    I think your Commander looks good, the only thing I find a bit off is the left arm. It seems a bit wide, try to make them thinner and I think it'll look even better the next time
    The details you 've done are really nice and deserve a fair bit of rep.
    Here goes.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast