Librarium Online Forums banner

The Second Annual 24-Hour Paint-A-Thon Challenge!!

21K views 136 replies 31 participants last post by  Seasonreaper 
#1 · (Edited)
This is a call out for the mad, the inspired, the dedicated and the depraved. I challenge you, no… I DARE you to throw caution to the wind and join me in a truly epic endeavor of nerdy magnitude! What in the Emperors name could be so horrifically awesome? If you have the guts, the bravado, a steady hand and an IQ less than 50, then listen… approximately one year the original challenge was handed down: paint 1000pts in 24 hours. Several people contacted me, interested in joining the madness. Well now its time to put paid to the talk. So without further ado, I invite you all to...

The Second Annual 24-Hour Paint-A-Thon Challenge!!​

The Background: We all have a lot of little men sitting around unpainted. Armies of them. Some armies need to be painted up in grand fashion to appease our inner Golden Deamon; some armies just need to be painted.
The Challenge: Paint up 1000 points of toy soldiers in 24 hours. That’s 47.6 points an hour, .75 points a minute. Every six hours each participant should post a progress pic. Cheering, support and smack talk will be encouraged.
The Prep: If you think you’ve got the paint-pots to pull this off, have your minis all assembled, primed, prepped and ready to go when the gun goes off. Take a pic of all your figs before you start painting so that people will know what you're up to as they cheer you on (or lay down the smack.) Along with the pic, lay out your final list of models to be painted
The Reward: Only the foolhardy will rise to the occasion, and only the truly mad will succeed. It will be interesting to see how far everyone will get. But for those that go all the way, they will earn fame, glory and a 1000 pt painted army!!! -Painted by the winners of this challenge (themselves.) They will also have the joy of knowing that they have officially moved two rungs down the nerd ladder.
The Date: The challenge will be set for one month from now. April 24th. Depending on what kind of response we get, exact start & stop times may vary.

Many will be daunted, afraid even. But if any among you have what it takes, I challenge you: rise up, prep your palette, grab your bare figures and carve out 1000 points upon witch to lay your paint!
I dare you.

The Few, the Proud, the Participants:

LilTweaker
Orcs and Gobblins

Kororizon
Chaos Space Marines

Hraka
Tau

stayscrunchyinmilk
Chaos Space Marines

Tekore
Beastmen

Sir Spamalot
Necrons

Librisrouge
Space Marine

Cyric the Mad
Dark Angels

dinodeanpostcat
Grey Knights

DemoMarine
Space Marines

-Jake
Daring Monkey

See less See more
#2 ·
Even if I can't take part in this (I'm not sure if I have 1000 points of models lying around - probably not from a single army, at least...) I'm not missing it.

Just a few general questions while I'm here...

1) Does it matter if it's not a single army (i.e. minis from two or three armies) but is still 1000 points?

2) Can you start with primed models or does everything have to be paint free at hour zero?

3) Can you guarantee I won't go mad, or will you at least pay my medical bills if I do?

#18 ·
1000pts of anything you want. Fantasy, 40K, My Little Pony, etc...
Kuffy dont quit yet, you can paint your 'my little ponies' with there beards and things! What a result.

The missus is out at some point soon, I will check when that is and come back. I again sit in the same boat as others, Ive painted most things I have!

I will talk to Flayedone583 and see if he is up for it too!

Dan

#9 · (Edited)
If It is on Saturday, April the 24th, and primed models are ok I will join in.
I have a CSM army, primed, modelled, awaiting painting (err... since last xmas) that seriously need a start.
They deserve love. They deserve care. They deserve BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!!!!
Christ, I'd best get alot of Black, Purple, Red, Red, Red, Gold, Red and Red wash in. and maybe some pink.
I assume kick off will be by a photo on a newspaper (with date) and the finish will be on same?

Edit: And two rungs DOWN the nerd ladder? I prefer the escalator, up.
Do we get a special badge for winning? Like a slightly messy one.

#15 · (Edited)
NOOOOO!!! I went to put it down on the calendar - It is the same day as Salute 2010 (One of the best wargaming conventions i've ever been to, and been attending for years - south London) - I agreed to go with my mate, who i forgoing his missus's 28th birthday for it (I sure as s#t can't pull out of that - be fair, he's nuts, and i phoned her to say "Are you sure this is ok?" and she said he's going to have to lavish her on the sunday, and she'd rather he enjoyed his day.
Aww. Not the 23rd then? or the 25th? heck, i'd take a day off work to hit if it it was changed.

#12 · (Edited)
So the rules are thus:
1000pts of anything you want. Fantasy, 40K, My Little Pony, etc...
For now just put up your name and what you will be painting come game time. Like so…

LilTweaker
Orcs and Gobblins

Have your minis all assembled, primed, prepped and ready to go when the gun goes off. Take a pic of all your figs before you start painting so that people will know what you're up to as they cheer you on (or lay down the smack talk.) Along with the pic, lay out your final list thusly:

LilTweaker
Orcs and Gobblins
Gobbo Shaman 1
Gobbos, Bows 20
Fanatic 1
Wolf Riders 5
Black Orcs 17
Squig Herds 4 (20 models)
Squig Hoppers 10

Total 74 models (79 including mounts)

If you can, post updates with pics every so often for the same reason. I’ll set off the festivities and draw them to a close with a post. Then just post a final progress pic and stumble off to bed. When you wake, bask in the adoration of your peers and the glory of your now painted army.

#17 ·
I'm really going to have to go through my unpainted models and do some number crunching before I sign up to this. I know I have some Tau, some Vampire Counts and some Sisters of Battle lying around... plus a few random minis that I could throw in to make up points.

Suppose I could always do a little shopping beforehand, if I come up a little short! :p

#19 ·
AGGGHHH!!! Can i please do mine the saturday before! on that days newspaper - I really want to do this but it falls on the best london gaming convention!
If possible i'd submit my entries to a third party, who releases them at the same time on the day - pretty pretty please! (Gotta find a 3rd party if agreed...)

I really want to do this now - I'd had it all scheduled and exactly what i'd do:
Clock strikes 12, do base coats on models. Sleep. Get up, wash models - 1st 6 hour photo - . sleep. get up, bananas and coffee breakfast, at about 10 and start base coating other details / metallics / etc. Photo at 12. Eat pre-prepared cheese and pickle sandwich. Paint more, wash details, highlight a bit. photo for 3rd time. Order pizza. Stay up until 12, and i'm sure things'll overrun a bit (alot) so the plan will be stretched, but at the strike of midnight hopefully have a painted 1000 point army.
Hell, i may just do it the week before regardless as i'd like the challenge. (and it's criminal they're not painted)

#21 · (Edited)
Hey Crunchy, I'll be your third party. I think your plan is great. Two things though:
1) Once you've completed your 24hours, no talking about it anywhere on the forums until game time (gotta keep the suspense up for the studio audience.)
2) A cheese and pickle sandwich? Really? That just sounds foul.

-Jake
Third Party Monkey

#22 ·
The pickles are pickled onions I believe.

Im considering doing this from the Friday at 6/7 am. I think the challenge for me is to accumilate 1000 points of stuff to paint! I think it will be elves, I was considering doing the planned guard list Im doing, thinking that those leman russess will soak up the points, that was until I realised how cheap the chimeras were! 9 vehicles in 24 hours is not possible when you take into account that I would want to weather each one.

Dan

#23 ·
Tweaker, you sir are crazy (crazy awesome that is). I won't be participating, somewhat sadly, however I will eagerly await the competition, can't wait to see what everybody does (and how loopy they sound) when they do it.

#31 ·
This does sound like a great idea, unfortunately the last thing I painted took me about two weeks and it was only one model.

Plus, I don't game with my models so what the hell would I do with all this stuff afterwards? I'm on board for the sandwiches though, but i might substitute some lettuce for the cucumber for reasons of personal preference and structural integrity.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.