Librarium Online Forums banner

Tweaker's Time of Legends Army -TM

7K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  GMJoeSolarte 
#1 ·
I have a sickness. I can’t put the Warhammer down. Every time I step away, they drag me hack with shiny new trinket …like a new addition.
Then inspiration struck me like a great big striking thing… Picture if you will, Malekith's Nagarythe army, just before the Sundering. Rampaging across Ulthuan tearing up cultists and what not. Or, perhaps the army he had with him durring the time of the Sundering itself. There are plenty of Pre-Heresy armies in 40K, why not a Time of Legends Army? I already started some threads in the High Elf and Dark Elf forums to gather thoughts and information.
Naturally, I can’t find my Malekith book right now, and I’m about half way through Shadow King. But who am I to let unpreparedness slow me down?

The book describes Malekith's army as being made up of:
Spearmen
Archers
Cavalry
Chariots
Super Sneaky Ninja Scouts (Raven Heralds.)

I’ve decided to actually write this army list two ways. The first uses the High Elf rules and represents Malekith’s army as he Marches on Anlec. As I get to used to 8th Ed rules, equipment and options, this list will change. I’ll just try to stay flexible. Right now this list consists of…

Malekith (portrayed by using the rules for Eltharion)
Prince Yeasir (Noble BSB)
Elthyrior the Raven Herald (Noble w/ shadow armor)
Mage (Mage)
Seaguard x40 w/ banner of Not in the Face! (arcane protection)
Archers x10
Silver Helms x12
Lion Charriots x2
Ellyrian Reavers x5
House Anar (Shadow Warriors) x8
Reaper Bolt Thrower x2

Now, by the end of both books, things go rather sour for our hero. Using the Dark Elf book, here is the list for Malekith's army once he starts going for the throat (list subject to change ...a lot.)

Malekith as played by Malekith
Prince Yeasir (Master BSB)
Assassin (Assassin)
Sorceress (Sorceress)
Spearmen x30
X-bow Warriors x20
Dark Riders x5
Charriot x2
Crazy Cultists (Witch Elves) x21
Shades x10
Reaper Bolt Thrower x2

With the exception of a few units and a slight shift in attitude, this is pretty much the same army. Both lists are 2500 pts. The idea is that the units look like warriors from Nagarythe. Black armor, but still high elfy. Black armor and high elf weapons. Long, long ago in a thread far, far away, I played around with this color scheme for my normal Dark Elf army.

Several units are not yet available like Sword Masters or Cold Ones. There are no repeating crossbows yet, so those units will have to be converted to have bows. Here are a couple of test conversions so far using all three elf ranges.

What do you think? What works and what doesn't? I’m of the thought that The forearm spike should be trimmed off and the helmets smoother and more high elf like. I think I need to take off the pointy shoulder pauldrons on all the models as well. The shields (and BSB) will either have the heraldry of Nagarythe or Malekith himself. Problem is, I cant find any descriptions of either of these symbols beyond 'silver and black.' Any help would be most appreciated.

Thoughts?

Jake
-Nagarythe Monkey

See less See more
#2 ·
I wish I was still single so I had time to dream up things like this :(

What kind of conversion do you plan to do for the Dark Elf Chariots? As Cold Ones were not yet discovered. Not sure about Witch Elves either, had they turned to Khaine yet?

I was thinking you might be screwed with Malekith at 2.5k with the new % rules, but he sneaks in at 24.something% - joy!

Anyway I like your ideas and it's looking good so far. Good luck with it

Cheers

#4 ·
Elves? Gross

Great idea. It's always fun to be able to use multiple codexes/armybooks with one army as SM players can attest to. Also an excellent point in warhammer history. Dwarfs blowing up elf stuff is always a good time.

Agreed on the spikes. Get rid of 'em. Seems like you could do without the pauldrons too. They have the pointy DE chest plates which is probably enough.
Giving them tunic sleeves like HE shadow warriors might give them a cool look.
http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA...10124_HighElvesShadowWarriorsMain_873x627.jpg

#5 ·
looking great there tweaker.

I do like the colour scheme and the conversions so far look good. I do have to agree with the others and say you need to reduce the spikes.

How where you planning to base them, to suit Ulthuan or Nagaroth?

Will be keeping an eye on this one

Regards

Marc

#6 · (Edited)
Here they are sans spikes. I like it much better. I also scraped the helmets a bit more to make them more clean and High Elfy.

Just finished Shadow King. Such a great book. I ALMOST makes me feel dirty playing the DE. But I'll get over it. It did point out one mistake I made. Malekith's army was silver and black. I painted all of my trim in gold. I'll paint up these test models in silver and black and we'll go from there but I may need to re-paint some stuff.
As for the bases, I was going to go with a winter/rocky theme but the elves never marched in the winter snows so now I'm not sure.
As for chariots and knights, I was just going to use the silver helms horses with Cold One Knights to represent the knights of both lists (this is actually kind of a shame as I LOVE the new cold one models.) The army chariots will use the Tiranoc Chariots for the 'nice' list and Lion Chariots to represent the cold one chariots in the 'naughty' list.
Right now I'll focus on foot troops because I know things will change when Island of Blood and the other new High Elf stuff comes out in September/October.

Jake
Spikeless Monkey

#7 ·
They look great dude. I really like the combination of the two race's kits. They do look much better with the spikes all trimmed off, more smoother and High Elfy. My only concern was that the bow arms (Glade Guard pieces?) might look a little too thin and under armoured when you consider them next to the armour legs and torsos. It's not really much, just something I sort of noticed.

I look forward to seeing the army painted up and stuff. :D

Kuffy

#8 ·
Gah! I was hoping no one would notice the Wood Elf arms. Glad you said something, as I'm sure that means several others have noticed them as well. The question now is, do I green stuff up 20 some odd archer arms, or do I just hope its less noticeable once it's all painted up? My inner stickler is wrestling my inner slacker. I'll let you know who wins.
With this in mind, and to answer Manu, I still have to greenstuff up a slew of Witch Elves. You are correct Manu, the Witch Elves had not been established during the early stages of the Sundering, but the cult of Khaine was a very big part of Morathi's armies. I'll be converting 'em all up to look more like crazy cultists as opposed to the Witch Elf cults we all currently know and love. This means I'll need to convert up some male elves to put in there as well. Not sure how I'll do this, but I'm open to any suggestions.
Still no insight to Malekith's personal heraldry. In Shadow King it describes a coiling dragon and his breastplate, but thats not very definitive. Did I mention how awesome that book is?

-J
Coiling Monkey

#9 ·
Tweaker

For the male cultist you could possible use the male whichs or mandrakes from the dark elder range, some of the armour might need to be modified and obviously the futuristic weapons will need to come off but they could be a good starting point.

Then again it depends if you want to work with metal or not. Also if all the rumours about dark elder prove to be true, with all the new models you might be able to pick up the old ones cheap...

Marc

#10 ·
Ok, here are a couple of test figures. Trying to figure out the silver and black imagery of the army. What are your thoughts?

Here is one of my previously painted x-bowmen with the gold trim.

Shield and banner design ideas will come later. I'll try to get better pix later when I have better light to work with. Aside from the fact that these are really crappy pix, what are your thoughts?

Jake
Silver Monkey

PS- Yup, those old male cultists are the way to go. Anyone know where I can beg, borrow or steal some?

#12 ·
Interesting scheme there dude. The blue highlighting the black is a nice touch, the skin also is different. However, I feel that the blue is being used too much - such as being used on the cloth and the armour pieces. I think you could have done something different with the cloth, as at the moment it is a bit too much of the same on the mini.

Kuffy

#13 ·
I have to agree that there's too much blue on them, and not enough other colors. You need something to break it all up. At the moment, they look unfinished and almost rushed. You put too much effort into them for it to look like you just sprayed them black and highlighted them blue, and painted on some silver. You should try for something different somewhere. Maybe do the tunics in an off-white or dark color. Or don't put the blue highlights on your armor, and make it look like genuinely black armor (at the moment, it looks like navy-blue)

#14 ·
Ok, playing with a couple of different colors and shield ideas to break up the bluey-blackness (blackie-blueness?). Should have some pix up at some point.
As a side note, I was doing some 'research' today and found that the Naggarothi actually had repeater x-bows at the assault of Anlec. Huh, I'm actually I little disappointed, the bows are one of the things that made the army different from a regular DElf force. Hmmm... so should my force have repeaters? or bow as they did in the colonies?

Jake
-Repeater Monkey

#15 ·
Well, personally I think the longbows are a little prettier, more fantasy-esque. Still, I wanted to stop by and commend you on the unique (and pretty nifty) color scheme, I think that like the others have said, the color pallette is a little one sided right now, I think adding another color to work in (maybe white? Or more silver or gold trim?) will make them a little stronger looking overall.

I'll try to remember to keep an eye on the thread, looking forward to the final product (if it isn't there already).

#16 ·
I agree with you on the bows Spike. And a dash of gold in there as well.
In the mean time, I have found nothing on the Banner of Naggarothe or Malekiths personal heraldry. So its time to get creative...
We can assume that the silver coiling dragon described in the books is a representation of Daddys pal, the white dragon Indraugnir. So it makes sense that it would be on his personal banner as well. Here are some sketches I put together. I had some images including the Sword of Khaine, but while Malekith relates to the legacy of his father fairly often, he never actually considers that blade as part of his own history.

What do you think. A simplified version will go on the armies shields, and a fully rendered version will go on the BSB. Give me your thoughts, I could use some inspiration.
-Side note, I need a model to represent Yeasir. Ideas?

Jake
BSM

#18 ·
Yeah, really cool, IMHO.

One thing I would do, based on what I have read in the DARK ELVES book, is that many of these elves were veterans whom had served under Aenarion back in his day. Those elves, probably would be a RARE unit, would probably be WS 6 to simulate that they went toe-to-toe with Chaos Warriors and Demons of a power higher then any seen today. Probably stat them at WS 6, S and T of 4, LD of 9 or 10, immune to psychology and would have something that makes them unbalanced for what they went thru and whatever they gained from Aenarion himself. There should be a subsequent "next generation" of troops, those borne after Aenarion died, that would not be as powerful but more numerous and so on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.