Librarium Online Forums banner

The bearded one's Scurrying Skaven

24K views 116 replies 21 participants last post by  The bearded one 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all, a new blog from good ol´ me. I wanted to do Skaven for a long, long time, and found myself looking at their armybook and models during the past years ) even during the last armybook, simply because their fluff was in-flipping-credible. Now that the new armybook has come out, and 8th edition rolled in, 5 or 6 people around here have Skaven too. 2 of them big armies I've seen, others are planning to. Regardless I wanna build a skaven army now, because the oppertunity was offered to me when 2 different people wanted to buy Island of blood with me and give me the Skaven. That's 80 clanrats and 4 rat ogres for 60 euro's. Seeing as a box of 2 rat ogres costs 30, and 20 clanrats cost 26, that's a heck of a deal.This is roughly what I want to start off with:

30 clanrats with handweapons
warpfire thrower

30 clanrats with spears
warpfire thrower

30 clanrats with spears
poinsoned wind mortar

( yes, that's 90 rats. One of the skaven players asked if I had a poisoned wind mortar for him left. Though nice, it's not my favorite weaponteam so I have no trouble parting with it. In return I could get some bitz and about 10 clanrats )

6 rat ogres with 4 packmasters ( this unit will possibly be 5 rat ogres, and 1 warlord on rat ogre bonebreaker with some killy equipment including "the other trickster's shard", forcing models in basecontact to reroll wardsaves )

1 chieftain, BSB.
1 warlock engineer with doomrocket
1 warlock engineer lvl 2

And that's what I have envisioned so far, we'll see how far that goes.Without further ado, my first rat ogre assembled and greenstuffed. I sculpted some extra bandages on his arm as I like the idea and look and they are easy to do. It also gives me another spot to get the armycolours on the rat ogre if I wish. It took me a while to find a good colourscheme and I tried several. Red & catachan, purple, it just didn't work. I helped my local GW to finish all their clanrats for their intro table so one of the staffmembers gave me a clanrat ( thanks man! :D ) so I could try out a colourscheme and how it would look on the clanrats. My first attempts were on the packmasters I had, but they've got huge robes without a lot of folds and it ends up looking like a single colour dress, not very pretty. The clanrat looks excellent in my opinion

Apologies if you get 1 big wall of text. I think my internet is being silly and all the white lines are removed.

See less See more
#3 ·
First of all, scum. That is the dwarf side of me... :p

Now, that clanrat looks awesome. The colours are well chosen, the dark green of the cloth is contrasting really well with the brown of the wood and the flesh tone you have chosen. I really like it. A very good choice. The greenstuff work on the rat ogre is well done, I really like the addition of the bandages. Nice work so far. I look forward to seeing this horde grow.

Kuffy

#4 ·
Indeed, I apologize Kuffy. I've been kicking behinds so much with the dwarfs lately, and those are almost all done ( just the BSB, lord, a few miners and a few hammerers to go and that's 2500 done ) . When I got this chance, I couldn't refuse, as the new mini's are really cool.

Actually I also would've liked if I had done my dwarfs in such a colourscheme. I had already done blue when I thought of such a colourscheme though.

Thanks for the comments guys.

#10 ·
First ratogre finished. I'm really happy with him :D Bony spikes and such are painted as warpstone nuggets. I sculpted some extra bandages ( the easiest thing to sculpt in like.. ever ) and painted the blood coming through from some cruel skaveny amputation to attach the blade.

#14 · (Edited)
Might be because of the big empty base.
The fur is overly light due to the photo flash by the way

I assembled the second one. The flame on his warpfire thrower is one of the torches on the corpse cart ( it broke off and what's the point in glueing back on a component supported by a small thin plastic stick. It's just going to snap again first chance it gets ) .

#15 ·
look really nice, i like the way you used the flame of the cart. simple use of bitz to make a model look a lot better. the painted rat ogre is nice too. i think it's a great idea to paint those things like warpstone.
but remember what we talked about friday, make sure the unit fits together nicely instead of 6 awesome models which don't really complement each other in a unit. but ok, it's skaven, so i guess it is doable.

oh, and delete some of your pm's, i can't send any more

looks good :dog:

#17 ·
Good news then, we get to see more filthy rats. Oh yay. :p On another note; you want to send me your small rule book don't you? Anyone? ;) :p

I am in two minds about buying the set. I don't play either army and am unsure whether I'd make the money back selling the plastics on ebay. I think I'm just going to buy the book from ebay. It's cheaper and saves me having all the pther stuff I don't need/want.

Kuffy

#20 ·
I disagree, no one says warpstone can't be rounded into shape. ;) *scrolls up* Yep, LoreSeeker is right.

I like the rats so far dude, you have a nice strong colour scheme. The bandages are a nice touch, I really like the bloodied one on the weapon join. Keep it up!

You did?! You chose elves over a fellow dwarf player?! *gets out the Dammaz Kron* Right then....

Kuffy

#21 · (Edited)
* Grabs quill from Kuffy's hand *

He's paying extra for it ;)
And it's as far as I'll go, they aint getting their shiney crown back! :p

The bubbles are a concious decision. The green is the main army colour, and while the clanrat units will be seas of it, the rat ogres are very fleshy. The other rat ogre had that thing around his head, and a lot of warpstone, and for the good of the scheme I decided to do those warpstyle ( That sounds so 'last century'.. ) .

And who knows. The Skaven are know for insane diabolical weapons, even at the expense of their own troops. They might be large poisoned wind globs grafted into the skin, which might "pop" if the rat ogre dies, casting a cloud of death over the enemy. Coool....

#26 ·
*keeps writing*

Bah.

I like the 'globes', it does help to tie them into your army scheme a bit better. It's a nice touch.

Ofcourse noone says so, but you have to admit that it usually comes in shardy, irregular pieces (on models, at least) and Skaven aren't really into finesse-craftmanship. Things just need to work. But then again, I am by no mean a Skaven expert, on the contrary. These are just my feelings towards this matter.

Not hard finding out what bandage he sculpted, is it Kuffy? ;)

Cheers,
LS

EDIT: I'll pretend ignoring all of these malevolences about High Elves...
They're not, but maybe there was an artisan born into Bearded's clan? ;)

Pretend all you like, doesn't make you all less wimpy.

Kuffy

#23 ·
You're ignoring the truth about elves! You can't handle the truth!!!

Do note my post which I posted a second before yours, in which my reasons are explained. I was considering to paint the fleshy, but I went green for the colour scheme.

I sculpted all bandages, except the one around the weapon itself, and the one with the most blood.

#25 ·
Just got to say B.O that the green is really really nicely done. On the robes and those Globes on the Rat Ogre. They Globes especially look cool. Very very Warstoney and glowy.

I think the Brown Furr could do with a wash or two, it just seems to lack depth at the moment.

The Green though. Yummy. I'm subscribed!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.