Ravendove's Sons of Orar - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast
    My backpack has JETS! Ravendove's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    545 (x8)

Ravendove's Sons of Orar

Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life.
    +++ Thought for the day +++

Sons of Orar
    A Space Marine Project Log

This thread will chronicle my progress on a new Space Marine army from start to finish. Though the history of the Sons of Orar has been lost, what is known is that they revere Orar, an Ultramarines Captain who won great renown in the wake of the Horus Heresy, and claim him as their spiritual patriarch.

Why a project log?
    I am a notoriously slow painter and prone to flutter between projects. I'm hoping that by steadily logging my progress I will be able to stick with it and see it through. Be warned, updates will be sporadic and occasionally few and far between. Nonetheless, thanks for reading!

Colour scheme
    I have already done some test models and found a simple, effective technique that works well. I am aiming for a good quality tabletop standard. I will be using the following paints for the following areas:
    Armour
    Army Painter Red, P3 Khador Red, Blazing Orange, Baal Red Wash, Devlan Mud Wash
    Pads, Helmets
    Skull White, Fortress Grey, Vallejo Ghost Grey
    Black
    Chaos Black, Adeptus Battlegrey, Codex Grey
    Metal
    Boltgun Metal, Badab Black, Chainmail
    Gold
    Iyanden Darksun, Gryphonne Sepia, Burnished Gold, Shining Gold, Mithril Silver
    Eyes, Gems, etc.
    Dark Angels Green, Snot Green, Scorpion Green, Skull White
    Cloth
    Graveyard Earth, Kommando Khaki, Bleached Bone, Skull White
    Leather
    Scorched Brown, Bestial Brown, Snakebite Leather
    So that's it for the introduction
    I've already had a ton of Forgeworld bits and most of the plastic kits shipped, even completed a few test models, so in the next couple of days I'll start blogging properly and get a load of in progress pictures up.

I will also cover how I plan to solve the Shoulder Pad symbol issue and some methods of converting the older marks of armour for some variation. If people are keen on the colour scheme maybe throw in a step-by-step tutorial. I've got some scenery on the go too and maybe that will get lumped into this log.

Somewhere along the line, there might even be a pet picture!

But...
    ...since it's considered rude to start a project log off without any pictures at all, I will leave you with my test model: Company Champion in Mk3 armour. Shield is by Scibor with the V scraped off and replaced by a FW Brass Etch Ultramarine symbol. I would take a more up to date picture, but am at work.

Last edited by Ravendove; October 4th, 2010 at 12:11.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Keeper of Records and Ale King Ulrik Flamebeard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

That is a nice looking marine dude. I like the old style armour, the shield is pretty cool too. Could we get a better view of the shield and face? I will be watching this thread...

Kuffy

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

Nice one Ravendove. And the wife just walked in and said "wow, that is really, really, nice, a thing of beauty." An army of these boys will look stunning.
    Jager bombs. Very efficient at wiping out friend or foe.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    545 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by King Ulrik Flamebeard View Post
    That is a nice looking marine dude. I like the old style armour, the shield is pretty cool too. Could we get a better view of the shield and face? I will be watching this thread...Kuffy
    Sure. These pictures were taken a few days ago, and the white on the shield and gold ornamentation has been cleaned up a bit since. I've also added more defined highlights. Shield is by Scibor with the V scraped off and replaced by a FW Brass Etch Ultramarine symbol. I would take a more up to date picture, but am at work.

Last edited by Ravendove; October 4th, 2010 at 12:12.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The champion is amazing, I like the scheme very much. The red and white go good together and the gold looks very realistic. Well, at least to me as an amateur
    Looking forward to see your progress, and good luck with it.
    Best wishes
    Roman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x1)

Really good work. The colors work together extremely well. It's going to be a fantastic looking army! Keep it up!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

545 (x8)

A broad mind lacks focus.
    +++ Thought for the day +++

Getting started
    So here's what I've got to work on so far. Forgeworld MkIII armour, Ferox Bolter set, Red Scorpion Veteran set, Gale Force 9 magnetic bases, tons of extra plastic bits ordered from bits sites, a Tactical Squad, Razorback and a huge box of Space Marine bits from various sets over the years.

Oh, and a wardrobe full of sprue!

Last edited by Ravendove; October 4th, 2010 at 12:10.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

545 (x8)

Tactical Squad A
    So I decided to start with a the Tactical Squad. Here are the first half in their semi-assembled glory. A mix of marks of armour, sergeant armed with an Infernus Pistol (counts as Combi-Melta) and a Missile Launcher guy on the right. You'll notice arms are not glued on - this is to make painting chests and bolters easier.

Any pieces that are going to be white (shoulder pads, Sergeant head) will be sprayed separately. Seen here, mounted on cork so for ease of spraying while holding.

You'll also spot Sicarius in the background, who I will be converting to represent my Captain eventually.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

545 (x8)

Here's a shot of some of the first painted marines in the squad. Sergeant is finished, two marines are mostly done (missing arms still) and the last bloke is awaiting the overcoat of red. So far, he's been undercoated (Army Painter Red) and washed twice (Baal Red, then Devlan Mud in recesses only). After that, I cover the armour plates in Khador Red. Lastly, thin highlights are done with Blazing Orange sparingly on top edges.

Khador Red is a paint by Privateer Press for their Warmachine line. It's essentially Blood Red, but I find it gives better coverage.

Behind them you can see the finished shoulder pads, while arms and bolters are awaiting undercoat.

Looking at these photos, I think the Pistol casing is highlighted a bit too brightly. Instead of Codex Grey > Fortress Grey, I might go with Adeptus Battlegrey > Codex Grey. You'll also notice the Purity Seal hasn't been painted - I haven't yet decided which colour to use for the wax. Red just seems to blend in too much, while green is used for the eyes. What do people think is a good colour to use on red armour?

Chilli Fueled Heretic danjones87's Avatar
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1329 (x8)

Looking awesome!

The red is really nice and crisp. The white might need a little more low lights and the accordions need painting a different colour too!

Dan

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast