Librarium Online Forums banner

LoreSeeker's project log (beware! pics inside)

21K views 126 replies 24 participants last post by  LoreSeeker 
#1 ·
Hello merry lads,

time has come. After more than a year spent haunting other people's logs and WiPs, I feel it's time for me to share with you my hobby efforts.

Please take notice that this log is probably not going to be updated very often, as I am a lazy and slow painter and university is due to start in a few days. However, I'll try to pick up my brushes as often as possible, since it's kinda lame to have plenty of models lying around either black/poorly painted/NiB.

Ok, now down to business: I've been playing High Elves for a while now, and I have a small army of them. I had some paint on most of my models when I started my career here on LO, but hey! so plenty of inspiring works by the many talented painters on here made me think I could improve a bit myself, come up with a new colour scheme which helped my army stand out a little bit more (as I was going with a "as-per-army book" blue and white) and so on.
So I started stripping/getting new figures. Here's what I came up with (compared with some older models).

Art Toy Statue Fictional character Sculpture
Toy Sculpture Art Statue Collectable

My intention was to go with a darker and colder palette: plenty of blues and light blues, some white and so on. I decided to take out reds and golds, as they are warm colours that do not go along with my plan too well. I changed my basing style as well.

To the current day, I have three units ready to my new standard:

15 Swordmasters of Hoeth with command group:

Art Urban design Metal Font Gas

...and closeups:

Blue Event Sculpture Art Fictional character
Plant Sculpture Statue Art Event
Sculpture Art Recreation Event Action figure

17 Spearmen with command (these guys are going to be at least 20 soon):

Art Font Plant Event Metal
Art Flag Sculpture Font Event

Closeups:

Plant Toy Electric blue Event Musical instrument
Plant Art Event Wood Flag
Plant Wood Event Electric blue Art

The crescent moon on the standard shaft comes from the Archers kit, and somebody's been slightly converted: can anybody tell me how? ;)

And last but not least my Repeater Bolt Thrower, whose crew has been finished like half an hour ago (namely the guy without static grass on his base):

Toy Machine Metal Fictional character Action figure
Toy Art Collectable Armour Metal
Toy Grey Lego Machine Machine gun

So that's it for now. Hope you like them, and of course any comments or criticisms are more than welcome. Coming up next 10 White Lions of Chrace.

Cheers,
LS

See less See more
#4 ·
Well, the mail skirts I'd paint boltgun, wash them with black, dry brush boltgun and then again with mithril.

However, drybrushing is an art form in itself and loads of people do it very wrong. Use a wide, soft, flat brush. Load it up with thick paint (very runny paint is useless) and then get as much of the paint of the brush as you can on some rags or kitchen roll. Brush over your thumb nail to see if any paint comes off. If the colour picks up just the deformities in your nails surface it's ready to go on the model. Build the dry brushing up in layers until it looks as though the armour has depth.

For the rest I'd keep it simple (you do have loads to do) Mithril base colour and then wash it with black. Once done I'd carfully add the silver colour to accentuate the sharp edges and angles. Hard to describe. If I get chance (please don't hold your breath for this) I'll try and do a Tut' on it.

#10 ·
Good evening,

quick update, just to let you know I'm not sleeping all the time.

I'm currently working on those 10 White Lions, and I guess they're more or less halfway done. Pretty much everything has been at least basecoated and waits for further highlighting. The cloaks are done, and they've been more a pain then I thought. Overall they're pretty intricated models.

Cheers,
LS

#12 ·
White Lions preview (?)

*Rise from the realm of the dead, WiP log!:skeleton:

Dear all concerned,

today I (metaphorically) stand in front of you to prove I've not been completely idle in the recent past.

Here's my first finished model of my White Lions' unit:

What do you guys think? I've tried to work a bit more on the metals, as suggested.

I have to say that these WL models are way more a pain in the a**e than I expected. Every part of the model's crammed with details, so much that at some point I just wanted to cry.

Base to come of course, and btw I've finished the other nine as well, but they're to come once based and completed.

Today I decided to spend some time preparing models and bases, since I have nothing primed to work on and outside it's raining (so I can't go out with my merry spray can). I removed some old Archers from their bases and almost beheaded my thumb in the process...

...then I decided to prepare a couple bases, just to be sure I have them when I need them:

Ok, that's it for now. I'll probably do some Spearmen assembly tonight, since I think my next step will be painting 7 of them to bulk my already existing unit to 24. I have 15 lying around, ready to be armed and eventually be my horde-like unit of 32 warriors.

Cheers,
LS

#13 ·
That is a rather happy thumb. ;)

I like the white lion, the thing I am finding is that the black lining is quite strong. Especially where is lines with the white of the handle. I am a fan of dark lining, but it isn't to everyone's tastes. The white, however looks very flat and thick. I would have either done them wooden, or just make sure the paint is very thin and perhaps an off white - this allows for a highlight.

Kuffy

#14 ·
Hi Kuffy, thanks for the feedback.

I see your point on the white. It is indeed a hard colour to paint and frankly I wouldn't know very well how to handle it. Perhaps another shade of grey? Thing is that doing that I'm afraid of losing the lined look that I -too- like. At any rate, I'll try to go with a few more layers of thinner white. Thanks for pointing out, you gave me some food for thought.

Regarding the lining on the metal parts: I'm quite satisfied, being a first attempt at some deeper metal look, and to be honest they don't look so stark IRL. Or maybe it is just me.

Cheers,
LS

#15 ·
Ok, so here they are done!

Ten White Lions:

Overall I'm pleased with how they came out, although as I've complained more than once they've been quite difficult to paint. Still have to get better at metals, but I reckon this is a first step towards it.
Last night when I was finishing 'em I realized how important bases are to the aspect of a finished piece. I had always quite underestimated that. I'm glad that I already have some ready bases for my next minis! Speaking of which, here's a pic of them (although you have seen them on the WL's background already): nine Spearmen ready to go.

I wanted to show you guys something else, namely my converted BSB. I'm very happy with how it came out, last week I spent a couple hours in the middle of the night preparing/converting/assembling it. I have a mounted one as well, but it's not ready yet so no pics. Anyway, here it is:

Comments and criticisms are always welcome.
Cheers,
LS

#17 ·
Thank you for the kind words, Kuffy.

I agree that the BSB might look a bit...angry let's say, but no, no DE parts included. I only used High Elves kits: the Noble for the arms and body and head, the Mage for the sword and the Silver Helms for the handle and pommel. I could have gone with a more "passive" look with banner and shield, like the GW one, but since I hoped to have him a bit more "warlike" and I loved how the mage's flaming sword looked I decided to give it a go.

Cheers,
LS

#21 ·
Cheers DDutchie! :p I'm afraid it won't see any paint (apart from the black spray ofc) for a little while. I'm busy with some Spearmen at the moment, and normally I do not allow myself to move on other "subprojects" before finishing what I am currently doing. But be assured that when its time comes I will put my efforts into painting it at a good (for my possibilities at least) standard.

Cheers,
LS

#23 ·
Yeah, I know what it's like. That lonely, beautiful model which craves for some paint staring at you with its sad shiny eyes while you cannot bear painting rank after rank of common soldiers anymore. But what the, either you stubbornly hang on what you're doing ATM or you don't see progress for ages, just as you said. It kinda sucks.

Previews might come no earlier that Sunday I'm afraid. Hopefully by that time they'll be almost done! I'll see what I can do anyway.

Cheers,
LS

#26 ·
It's true, their poses are very similar, but consider that being mostly static models it's quite hard to differentiate them much. I don't mind it however, as I prefer to look at my ranks of Spearmen as at one cohesive, disciplined regiment of well trained soldiers, and I think their poses helps.

And if you're not into static and similar poses, wait till I'll start on the IoB Lothern Sea Guard ;) You'll miss the Spearmen!

Cheers,
LS

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.