A new army...GW High elves - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A new army...GW High elves

Well i posted early in the year some of my mantic stuff, and i do love the mantic elves....

i have however always coveted a GW Ulthuan army. And i got me the new Island of Blood box set, and am now working on the high elves. I think i stuck a good scheme on the first try

let me know what you guys think.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    986 (x8)

I think these look great and your technique is outstanding. Although it may be the camera and lighting, the armour looks a tad dull. I just did my IoB SMs in the same manner as one of the GW fellow's tutorial where he used a silver base coat. I sprayed mine with some Testors silver enamel and not only did they get painted really fast, but the glossier, smoother coat made the wash recess into the cracks perfectly and keep the armour really shiny.

And the Mantic figures? I already bought two sets of Mhorgoth's Revenge!! I have to say their figures (and prices!!) are outstanding, but just not a lot of variety. I already have most of them put together. And, it is blasphemy to say, but I have started to shift to using the KoW rules for most all battles, since it is easier to play a quick game and for those not studying the Warhammer rules every day you can get a friend to play with you just as easy as playing a game of Monopoly - Warhammer is just too difficult to get a casual observer to play. Some die-hard WHers may say KoW is too simple, but quite frankly I love it. And, the rules were written by Alessio Cavatore - what more do you want!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    114 (x2)

I'm liking this I'm dabbling in high elves myself I'm going for 'codex' colours though mainly because I think steel blue and white looks great but your red is equally striking.

JB

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FlayedOne583 View Post
    I'm liking this I'm dabbling in high elves myself I'm going for 'codex' colours though mainly because I think steel blue and white looks great but your red is equally striking.

JB

thank you much. And dont get me wrong, i was REALLY tempted to just use the codex colors because they do look very good. However, i really wanted to make something that was more "my own".

good luck in your venture.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MDSW View Post
    I think these look great and your technique is outstanding. Although it may be the camera and lighting, the armour looks a tad dull. I just did my IoB SMs in the same manner as one of the GW fellow's tutorial where he used a silver base coat. I sprayed mine with some Testors silver enamel and not only did they get painted really fast, but the glossier, smoother coat made the wash recess into the cracks perfectly and keep the armour really shiny.

And the Mantic figures? I already bought two sets of Mhorgoth's Revenge!! I have to say their figures (and prices!!) are outstanding, but just not a lot of variety. I already have most of them put together. And, it is blasphemy to say, but I have started to shift to using the KoW rules for most all battles, since it is easier to play a quick game and for those not studying the Warhammer rules every day you can get a friend to play with you just as easy as playing a game of Monopoly - Warhammer is just too difficult to get a casual observer to play. Some die-hard WHers may say KoW is too simple, but quite frankly I love it. And, the rules were written by Alessio Cavatore - what more do you want!
    well as i said this was just to test if the scheme worked or not, i am always open to suggestions of how to make it just that much better. Now that i know the scheme can be pulled off, i might go a shade lighter on the metal, i tried chain-mail but may go with mithril silver. Course your way sounds intriguing, i would just hate to have the chain-mail i just bought go to waste cus i dont need it haha.

and i TOTALLY agree with you on the rules of mantic games, they are very easy and in my opinion a lil better because really, when you think about it we are talking about mass armies smashing into each other...how hard do the rules have to be haha. And as i said, i LOVE LOVE the mantic elves, even though some people dont. I just have always had a craving to do a GW Elven army, and the last time i got into warhammer the 8th edition was only 2 years away. I figured that by picking up the rules the year they came out i could possibly get in a year or two of gaming. And it helped that the new rules come with some shiny new elves to help me with my craving haha.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    986 (x8)

I have two sets of the elves from IoB and I just ordered an army of Mantic elves for my son - he likes them better because they are a little different. I will be performing sacrilege on a regular basis by using my GW figures with the KoW rules... for the elves, humans, etc... The real kicker is when you can get a friend to play with you with only 2 minutes of explanation w/ KoW instead of 30 minutes and then throw the huge tome at them they should read - their eyes usually glass over at that point and they say, "Uh, on second thought, no thanks - let's just play Halo 3..."

On the paint option, just drybrush some brighter silver (either Mithril or thinner-based enamel) over your armour and you will be perfect. I really like the look you have created!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MDSW View Post
    I have two sets of the elves from IoB and I just ordered an army of Mantic elves for my son - he likes them better because they are a little different. I will be performing sacrilege on a regular basis by using my GW figures with the KoW rules... for the elves, humans, etc... The real kicker is when you can get a friend to play with you with only 2 minutes of explanation w/ KoW instead of 30 minutes and then throw the huge tome at them they should read - their eyes usually glass over at that point and they say, "Uh, on second thought, no thanks - let's just play Halo 3..."

On the paint option, just drybrush some brighter silver (either Mithril or thinner-based enamel) over your armour and you will be perfect. I really like the look you have created!!
    agree with the assessment of the over complexity of WHFB, and thats why i think i will still play more KoW than WHFB

and im trying a quick new trick with the armor, gotta go to schools but still more pics to come

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

painted up a seaguard troop just to see how much detail #-o and how my scheme would work with them...

let me know what you guys think .

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    320 (x8)

Ye gods! Your metal is outstanding!
    Dunno if it's just the light or you did some impressive highlighting, either way the paintjob is really neat.

The one thing i dont like is the golden Ensign/little flag on the seaguard's spear. It glitters a bit too much like metal, more so even than the red jewel (if anything should sparkle) at the tip of the spear!

I'd give some rep, but i want to know what your plans with the bases are first :p
    Eternal Newbie

Warchief Diggah o da Bloodmoon Squiggahs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Digger View Post
    Ye gods! Your metal is outstanding!
    Dunno if it's just the light or you did some impressive highlighting, either way the paintjob is really neat.

The one thing i dont like is the golden Ensign/little flag on the seaguard's spear. It glitters a bit too much like metal, more so even than the red jewel (if anything should sparkle) at the tip of the spear!

I'd give some rep, but i want to know what your plans with the bases are first :p
    thanks a lot. The metalics i pretty much just tried every trick i know to get something that worked haha. but basically i went one shade lighter with Mitlhril Silver and then black wash followed by another highlight of mithril.

And as for the base, gonna do that as soon as im done painting the minis

also... yeah i took a gamble with the spear 'banner' being gold. I mean it does look better in person, but i really thought that adding more red might start to drown the mini in too much red, and adding something like yellow would be just so random i didnt know what other color to use, got any suggestions?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast