Raven Guard Strike Force - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    720 (x8)

Raven Guard Strike Force

I'm starting a second 40K army and this time it is Raven Guard space marines. The central theme of the army is that it is very assault-based, so fittingly the first pictures will be of assault scouts and assault marines.

With the Scouts the theme is to give them fitting camo for the cloth parts, blackened blades and standard-issue black armor. Sergeant is distinguished by white shoulder plates and power weapons are painted to look like they are powered.

With Assault Marines there won't be camo or anything like that. These guys are medieval templar-knights in power armor... and they should look the part. Especially when talking about a 1st founding chapter the power armors worn by even the lowest ranking marine should have enough detail to feel like they are ancient, revered artefacts worn by dozens of warriors in hundreds of battles. Thus, I went on and used quite a lot of Forge World parts and Veteran Marine models even in standard squads. Yet again, sergeant is distinguised by white shoulder plates and powerfist is supposed to look like the powerfield is switched on.

Last edited by Polaria; November 24th, 2010 at 16:44.
    Revenant Moon Necrons: (W/L/D) 0/1/0 (6th edition: 13/2/2)(5th edition: 14/6/4)(3rd edition Codex: 16/4/7)
    XIX Legion: (W/L/D) 0/0/0 (5th edition: 14/12/2)(5th edition Codex: 4/3/0)
    Black Legion: (W/L/D) 1/0/0 (6th edition: 2/3/0)
    Something Wicked... Reikwald Beastmen: (W/L/D) 10/4/1

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    221 (x4)

nice solid white, but the black wash ruins it, and there a few mould lines on the helms.
    and only the assualt serge should have a white helm. for the camo cloth start with a shadow grey then brush on random patches of varied blue tones. a matte varvish will help kill the shine
    My ToP - raven gaurd <- cliky
    Raven Guard W/13 D/7 L/5

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    720 (x8)

Thanks for tips. The pictures were taken without varnish which will help to smooth out the colors a bit. I was thinking of one layer of gloss topped by one layer of matte. As for the helmets I wanted different squad types to stand out clearly so I used a mix of Index Astartes IV Color heraldry and Codex: Space Marines heraldry for my Raven Guards. Namely sqaud type is distinguished by color of right shoulder plate's colour and helmet color. Green trim indicates a Marine is a member of a Tactical Squad, red an Assault Squad, yellow a Devastator Squad and Assault Marines also have white helmet. Raven Guard force commanders, Sergeants and Veterans have all-white shoulder plates as well as helmets and sometimes arms.

The big man himself:

Last edited by Polaria; November 25th, 2010 at 16:30.
    Revenant Moon Necrons: (W/L/D) 0/1/0 (6th edition: 13/2/2)(5th edition: 14/6/4)(3rd edition Codex: 16/4/7)

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

720 (x8)

Vanguard Veterans, sorted by weapon groups:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

221 (x4)

i like the way you've done the power fists and lighting claws. i paint the some of the hands and knee pads white on the vets just to help make the models more distinguished.
    Raven Guard W/13 D/7 L/5

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

720 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by jonojoe View Post
    i like the way you've done the power fists and lighting claws. i paint the some of the hands and knee pads white on the vets just to help make the models more distinguished.
    Thanks for the comments. I'm rather proud of how the power weapons (especially the lighting claws) turned out on the Veterans myself. Also, its nice to get feedback from others who paint Raven Guards. I have my first Rhino on the table right now and I expect to get it done by the end of next week... Pics will be here

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

720 (x8)

The Rhino for my Tactical Squad is done.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

221 (x4)

the free hand ravens on the doors look fantastic.

there's too much paint in your brush when you are drybrushing, the weathering of the upper half of the rear right exhaust pipe looks good aslo.

im also working on a rhino ttoo
    Last edited by jonojoe; December 14th, 2010 at 23:08.
    Raven Guard W/13 D/7 L/5

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

720 (x8)

A few army-specific objective counters I just painted

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

221 (x4)

the cloak on the fallen captain is great. for fresh blood, darken it slightly with a black or blue even brown will work and add a gloss over the blood
    Raven Guard W/13 D/7 L/5

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast