Skaven - Serious Monk-y Business - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    476 (x8)

Skaven - Serious Monk-y Business

Evenin' all.

Well, I have a Skaven army. Goes against all my elite infantry instincts, but hey, it has BIG TOYS!

Which is what you're about to see:

Plague Furnace:

The brown of the wood might be a little light (there are actually a variety of colours in the wood - darker browns and the odd green plank). The wood took a long time to achieve, but it has turned out looking good. The metal is actually much browner and distressed - Devlan Mud has been my friend on this one...Pretty much everything except the warpstone and smoke has at least one layer of it...

Aaand a side view. You can probably see the dirtier look to the metal and wood more in this picture. The wrecker doesn't look quite that awesome in reality (the heat glow mainly), but I'm glad my picture has turned out roughly like GW's!

And just a close in shot of the crew. Devlan mud over catachan green really manages to create a decent grubby look to their robes. A further highlight of catachan and gnarloc greens were added after the wash.

Plague Priest

And here's the dude up front. I stuck some rubber steel I had spare from a magnetic basing kit on the bottom of his feet and put a magnet on the base (hence the rocks) so I can easily put him on foot for those times when the furnace goes *pop*.

My First Doomwheel

Probably the first model I've painted I've spent more than about 5-10 hours on, it took me around 15 to paint. Generally, I'm pleased with how it turned out, although the rune on the banner is a bit on the thin side.

Doomwheel 2: The Doomwheel rolls again

Yup, it's another doomwheel. I'm happier with the rune on this one and the verdigris effect on the bronze stands out a little more.

A better view of the pilot and bronzing. The banner on this one has a couple more coats of wash on it compared to the first - it wasn't dirty enough! (Aside from the dirty stain on one side when I attempted a 2nd coat of wash too soon, but that still works!).

And just to finish off, a real close up of the back crew-rat. The foundation paints resulted in a good, solid grey colour on his robes.

Attached Images
    Last edited by Rork; January 7th, 2011 at 19:45.

Having an army and not owning a rulebook is like owning a car with no steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by amishcellphone
    <3 rork. He does all the arguing so I don't have to.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    470 (x8)

Very nice stuff there, Rork. I love the way you've done the warpstone smoke, it looks brilliant! The corrosion on the copper/brass is a nice touch, also.
    Rabbit; Our Tau community has the talent of figuring out how to turn a feather into a timebomb. Macgyver would be jealous.
    8people; Honey, why is my fluffwars story your shopping list?

Chilli Fueled Heretic danjones87's Avatar
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1329 (x8)

Eeek!

More Skaven! Two Doomwheels! Nasty man!

Nice painting so far, itll be the ratty hordes that break your soul. Whats the schedule?

Dan

Keeper of Records and Ale King Ulrik Flamebeard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

Rork posted painted minis? *blinks* *falls over*

I like them dude. The monk's look a bit plain, but they work with the rest of the minis. I really like smog on the censors.

Kuffy

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    94 (x3)

Nice models you have there Rork! The Plague Furnace looks great, the smoke especially looks thick, no wonders if it kills stuff

The Doomwheels are cool too, and you've only spent 15 hours on each?! I'd definitely go mental after painting something like that as it looks freaking complicated to paint.

Now let's see some endless masses of vermin

Cheers,
    LS

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

476 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by danjones87 View Post
    Nice painting so far, itll be the ratty hordes that break your soul. Whats the schedule?
    Painted, but need to be based:
    30 Slaves
    30 Clanrats

Need to be painted:
    30 Plague Monks
    39 Stormvermin + warlord
    Warp Lightning Cannon
    2 Engineers
    Grey Seer
    6 Censer Bearers
    8 converted gutter runners

To be built and painted:
    2 x 30 slaves (today's task is to build one unit. Looks too windy to spray outside, though).

The plan is: Slaves --> Monks (or these first) --> Stormvermin --> Characters -->WLC --> Gutter Runners

Each will probably take me around 2 weeks, depending on time/enthusiasm...

Quote Originally Posted by King Ulrik Flamebeard View Post
    The monk's look a bit plain, but they work with the rest of the minis.
    Monks should be plain, they're devout (if ratty) followers!

Quote Originally Posted by LoreSeeker View Post
    The Doomwheels are cool too, and you've only spent 15 hours on each?! I'd definitely go mental after painting something like that as it looks freaking complicated to paint.
    It doesn't help that I'm a bit slow when it comes to painting and I tended to do an hour here and an hour there. Pretty much everything has several layers on it plus highlighting/washes. And spending that long does annoy me too...it's why I'm using spray paints and washes on the slaves to really get through them quickly - Normally 5 models would take me 8-10 hours. The entire unit of 30 probably took me 8!

Thanks, guys. I'll be basing the slaves and clanrats (my first skaven unit) today, so hopefully will have some pictures of those tomorrow night, maybe sooner.
    Last edited by Rork; January 8th, 2011 at 12:34.

Having an army and not owning a rulebook is like owning a car with no steering wheel.

quik-quik, kill-kill! The bearded one's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    585 (x8)

Rork? Painting?

I thought he just spent his days scaring small children and modhammering people..

It looks really good, however on the cloaks of the plaguemonks and plaguepriest I would consider doing some more layers and highlighting. They look rather flat and the 'shiney' look isn't helping.
    * ducks for cover *

Also.. units of 30 slaves? 35-40 are your friend Normal enemy infantry tends to reach 25-30 models these days ( more of course if it's a horde ) and they could un-steadfast the slaves within a round. One of the local players here tested his tournament skaven against me a few months back and had units of 40 slaves. It took me nearly the entire game to hack through those ( I did win in the end. Put a cannonball through the grey seer and watched 4 skaven units run in 1 round ).

39 stormvermin is cool What banner are you planning on giving them? I'm going to use 36 with warlord on warlitter in horde formation and I'm giving them the razor standard from the big rulebook for some lovely armourpiercing.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

476 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by The bearded one View Post
    It looks really good, however on the cloaks of the plaguemonks and plaguepriest I would consider doing some more layers and highlighting. They look rather flat and the 'shiney' look isn't helping.
    * ducks for cover *
    DIE.

Much of the shininess is just from the camera flash. It doesn't look quite like that under normal light. What I may do is put a little watered down scorched brown into the recesses.

Also.. units of 30 slaves? 35-40 are your friend Normal enemy infantry tends to reach 25-30 models these days ( more of course if it's a horde ) and they could un-steadfast the slaves within a round. One of the local players here tested his tournament skaven against me a few months back and had units of 40 slaves. It took me nearly the entire game to hack through those ( I did win in the end. Put a cannonball through the grey seer and watched 4 skaven units run in 1 round ).
    I'm going to see how it goes. I figure there will be more important targets for the enemy to deal with, although there are a few things in the army that might get changed, so I may well add 5 slaves to each unit.

39 stormvermin is cool What banner are you planning on giving them? I'm going to use 36 with warlord on warlitter in horde formation and I'm giving them the razor standard from the big rulebook for some lovely armourpiercing.
    If I have the doomrocket warlock (the One-shot Wonder-rat), I'll be cheap and just give them the Banner of Eternal Flame. If I don't have him, I may well opt for the storm banner - I have very little in the way of shooting that it can affect (the WLC, really). Armour piercing is another option, of course...

But that's what field-testing is for \o/

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

476 (x8)

And here are the slaves.

I opted for the quick and dirty (ahem) option for these boys. Since they're utter trash in the army, there's no need to spend a lot of time on them.

All I did was:
    Spray them with Leather Brown (ironically I found the vermin fur spray too light)
    Painted the metal black then boltgun metal
    Painted the flesh Tallarn Flesh and the eyes black
    Dheneb stone the bandaged areas.
    Washed the entire model with a decent quantity of Vallejo sepia wash (That's a biiig jar!)
    Highlighted the cloth with bestial brown, the flesh with tallarn flesh, fur with snakebite leather and highlighted the weapons if need be.
    Dheneb stone the teeth
    The front rank had their toe nails painted black

Super speedy!
    Last edited by Rork; January 9th, 2011 at 17:54.

quik-quik, kill-kill! The bearded one's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

585 (x8)

Meh, only 30?

* starts running again *

Does your army happen to have any specific army-colours, or are you going for "the realistic colours" in the entire army that such cloth would normally be ?

I am liking this quik paintjob. Did you use GW's spraygun or another ( I just assume another because everyone is always complaining GW's stuff is rubish, wether they be dice, paints or sprays.. )? I think I've got to look into this, seeing as I've got to do 70 slaves and 60 clanrats. Doing all of them individualy ( or 5-at-a-time ) makes you go nutz 0.o Just check my medals to see what I'm talking about! Pfhruppit!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast