Librarium Online Forums banner

[ToXG?] Leafblower's Dwarfs of Kazad Kol Drak

4K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  waddywoos 
#1 · (Edited)
[ToXG] Leafblower's Dwarfs of Kazad Kol Drakk

Hi there.

I just started Dwarfs, and a helpful LOer kindly pointed me to the ToXG thread, and it got my interest, but I still had some doubts, (money,time etc.). Giving it some more thought, I realised that I was just thinking of excuses, and that I should stop wining and just do it! (I really want that medal!:p).

Don't have anything painted jet, but I've taken some pics of my workstation, so you can see my horrible painting area. expect the first Dwarfs next week ;)

Well this is the overview, boxes, sprues and real junk everywhere. paints ordered in a neat line, greens with greens, red with reds, metallics with metallics etc, every now and then have to reorganise that, because I keep putting them back in the wrong place because I'm a lazy bastard.

These are some half finished remnants of my previous army attempts, I've switched a lot: in 40k: Imperial Guard, Tau,Necrons, Orks, Imperial Guard, Chaos Space Marines and Tyranids. and in two or three months of Warhammer Fantasy: Vampire Counts, Bretonians, Dwarfs (tend to stick with these beardy fella's, hence this plog ;):).) Lets hope my plan works :).

A small collection of boxes and other "might be usuable one day for something" stuff (just junk I'm to lazy to throw away) this picture is a little bit old, the collection has grown with even more junk.

And no painter can have a workplace without some decoration, in my case it's a picture of me and my girlfriend on holiday. Every time I feel like stopping painting because I fail horribly I look at that picture think about happy times and I'll get back too it and try again once more :). I expect to be looking at that picture a lot the coming months.

I'll also be writing fluff for my Dwarfs, as I like fluff as much, maybe even more then the painting aspect of the hobby. it can be found here:
Kazad Kol Drakk fluff

I hope I've gotten your interest and that you'll follow this Plog.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
There are never enough beards ;-).

I want to keep a dark, filthy pallet (dwelling caves and mining tends to make you dirty) and only keep the metals clean/bright. A real dwarf keeps his weapons and armour in perfect condition ;-).

As for army composition, my friend that I'll be playing 99.9% of the time collects Dark Elves, but won't go magic heavy so I can stick with a Runesmith and take an actual Dwarf lord :-D.

I'll be taking lots of warriors/longbeards, probably two units of twenty and two units of quarellers fifteen strong.
Then Ironbreakers/Hammerers of course, and one or two bolthrowers and a cannon.
I had a detailed list (on paper) but I believe The Smurfs took it.
EDIT:
made a new list: here it is:
1 Lord: 244 Pts. 12.2%
2 Heroes: 316 Pts. 15.8%
5 Core Units: 1225 Pts. 61.2%
1,5 Special Unit: 230 Pts. 11.5%

Dwarf Lord,Great Weapon, Shield, 1x Rune of Fortitude, 1x Rune of Resistance, 1x Rune of Preservation - 244 Pts.

Runesmith, GW, Shield, 1x Master Rune of Balance - 126 Pts.
Thane, BSB, 1x Master Rune of Valaya - 190 Pts.

20 Dwarf Warriors, Shields, Great Weapon, Musician, Standard bearer, Champion - 245 Pts.
20 Dwarf Warriors, Shields, Musician, Standard bearer, Champion - 205 Pts.
20 Longbeards, Shields, Great Weapon, Musician, Standard bearer, Champion - 305 Pts.
15 Longbeards, Shields, Great Weapon, Musician, Standard bearer, Champion - 235 Pts.
15 Quarrellers, Shields, Great Weapon, Musician, Standard bearer, Champion - 235 Pts.

Bolt Thrower, Engineer, 1x Rune of Reloading - 70 Pts.
10 Hammerers, Shields, Musician, Standard bearer, Champion - 160 Pts.

Total: 2015

#4 ·
Forget the dwarves, just keep at those sexy looking necrons you got there.

Well, if the dwarves do look as good as your necrons, I'm pretty excited to see what you can do.

#5 ·
Klajorne said:
Forget the dwarves, just keep at those sexy looking necrons you got there.

Well, if the dwarves do look as good as your necrons, I'm pretty excited to see what you can do.
Thank you, I forgot to add those in the 40k list, added them now :p. And I'm quite happy with them myself, and I sure hope to get my Dwarfs on par or better then them, I like Space Wolves Grey as a colour, so expect them to be somewhere on my Dwarfs ;-).

Hope you'll enjoy my progress :)

Edit: I'm getting my first box of Warriors tomorrow, got a whole day free so I hope I can show you atleast one finished model :)

#7 · (Edited)
Figured that for this thing I need to photograph miniatures, never done that before. So I gave it a shot with my Vampire Count Graveguard, just to see how stuff works and all of that.
any C&C on that? if somehow has anything else he saw on my photo of the remnants, just say what you want to see more. :)

here they are, or at least two of them.

Attachments

#8 ·
got the warrior box.
and while I was planning on starting next month because September is too short to realistically finish 16 dwarfs and work 40hours a week and maintain a long distance relationship (so no weekend painting for me). So I decided to take a false start and work out a colour scheme with the extra days I now have. Your comments are much appreciated.
I've almost finished 2 Dwarfs so far so you can see the end result. I always paint weapons/arms/shield separate, because they cover most of the chest and such most of the time. I want to go with a "dirty" look on the clothing, but keep the weapons and armour clean ( my Dwarfs take good care of their stuff, but mining/travelling tends to make your clothes dirty). these two are still WIP, the belts and weapons need to be done. but I believe you can clearly see the direction I'm going.
here they are, C&C welcome:

Toy Art Metal Collectable Event

Toy Sculpture Art Statue Metal

Sculpture Sleeve Statue Toy Art

Toy Sculpture Art Hat Working animal

Statue Sculpture Art Toy Metal

Toy Helmet Statue Sculpture Art

#9 ·
The test models look good so far, the grey beard looks really good with the highlights but the brown beard seems a little flat (may just be the photo though), have you thought about highlighting it the same as you have done his hair?

9 days to do 16 dwarves? Go on, you can do it!

LK

#10 ·
hehe, those two took me about four hours to get to the point they are now, I'll finish them tomorrow and start on the next two, who I hope will go sooner. But I still believe I wont be able to paint them in time, (only five days to paint because of my relationship) so it will be a close call, and I'd rather not rush them and take my time (I'm not a good speed painter as you may have noticed :p) after these two I'll do four at a time, as I always do that, don't really know why but who cares? :p

I indeed plan on doing a highlight on the brown beard, similar to his hair. at first I was happy the way it was, but after looking at it a few times I began to find it too flat.

#11 ·
Its looking fine so far, but my advice would be to keep a limited colour palate. I can see you've used greens and reds in the photos, but you are planning on doing a more dirty, grimy look? I might be tempted to use more shades of grey and blue as they complement each other better, like that cloak that you have already done. Just some thoughts.

#12 ·
ChadMS said:
Its looking fine so far, but my advice would be to keep a limited colour palate. I can see you've used greens and reds in the photos, but you are planning on doing a more dirty, grimy look? I might be tempted to use more shades of grey and blue as they complement each other better, like that cloak that you have already done. Just some thoughts.
I am still in the process of choosing exact colours, it will be a mix/match of blue/grey and brown or red/green, with black as the unifying colour (see the horns on the helmets), and I'm keeping weapon/shield details black as well.
I hate armies with all units have exactly the same colours for clothing (it isn't the Soviet Union!), so I always mix 'n match.

I want to keep the "dirty" thing simple, a drybush of the cloak/lower clothing parts, so it won't be much work. I do have Devlan Mud, but its more or less a succes or an disaster with me and washes, so I'll save that for high point single models, like the Dwarf Lord, if it goes wrong I'll have the time to fix it.

#13 ·
Got a small crisis at work the last few days, a lot of people got ill and stuff like that. So I haven't made much progress. I finished the first two and assembled four others, pics will come asap which will probably be tommorow.
Got the weekend "free", my girlfriend has university stuff to do. While I don't look forward not seeing her for 14 days, this does give me the chance to get some progress done, especially if work goes well the oncoming days.
*fingers crossed*

#14 ·
Aint life a bitch, interfering with leisure activities ? The wife got up this morning in the middle of the Rugby, and "reminded" me I have a carpet to lay before I can play with my toys. Plus I have to clean out all the empties from my study before I can do anything. The Dwarves look very good so far, looking forward to seeing them armed and ranked up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.