Empire styled Bretonnian mounted army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    88 (x2)

Empire styled Bretonnian mounted army

So having broken my back at the tail end of last year I fell so far behind for ToXG that I decided to pull out and use the new year as a fresh start to do something new and finally commit to buying a unit at a time and not buying another until the previous one is painted!

With that said, my idea is to build a Bretonnian cavalry army (although I may get some peasants and a trebuchet at some point) and to use the Empire knight kit as the basis for all of the units. Differentiating the different typed of cavalry (Errant, Realm, Questing and Grail) should be challenging considerign I have extremel limited green stuff skills, but by combining the Empire Knights kit with some parts from the Bretonnian knights of the realm box I should be able to get enough variety in there that makes it obvious what unit is which.

my Ideas right now are:

Knights Errant - Empire knights with the basic bretonnian helmeted heads that have nothing attached to the top.
    Knights of the Realm - Empire knights with the empire knight plumed helmets.
    Questing knights - Empire knights utilising the white wolf parts in the box + odds and ends like bags to make them look like they're on a journey.
    Grail Knights - Empire knight with bretonnian lances (the ones with pennants), bretonnian helmeted heads with the icons on top... more detailed bases etc.

For the characters I was thinking of using Kurt Helborg and Marius Leifdorf as fighty characters with Ludwig Schwarzhelm as the BSB. The current Bretonnian mounted damsel seems to be fine I think.

All the units will use a sheild other than the empire knights ones as I don't really like them. Maybe the Bretonnian sheilds... maybe I'll find something else around that is better. Any ideas for blank non-circular sheilds welcome!

So here is a test run making use of a Empire knight I had lying around from a long time ago...

The photo is from my iPhone so not great, I'll be back at uni in a few days so will have the camera then. The horse's armour is Regal blue over a white undercoat, then watered down Regal blue was heavily applied to the grooves so the raised areas appear as a slightly lighter colour that blends into darker in the recesses. The reds are just straight up Scab red, then washed with Baal red. The lance is slightly different, Scab red with blood red edge highlights and no wash. The green laurels were watered down Goblin green followed by a Thraka green wash.

Armour is Boltgun metal edge highlighted with Mithril silver, then carefully washed Badab black to give a little colour to the flat areas and to pool around the edges.

He's looking rather french right now but after painting heraldry on a sheild (yet to be chosen and attached!) he should quite obviously be from the Czech Republic. I really like the way the blue white and red go together and the Czech flag is perfect for sheilds designs. I envision having a unit of Knights from one country, and then other units from other countries in different colours, perhaps white and red from England or Green and red from Wales etc.

Thoughts, ideas, critisism and inspiration welcome and encouraged!

---EDIT---

I should probably add - the horse is just plain white at the moment. I know I need to do something with it I just don't know how to and don't want to mess it up :/

Also - I'm going for snowy bases so will be making use of GW's snow flock mostly.

Last edited by waddywoos; January 5th, 2012 at 09:21.
    'War does not determine who is right, only who is left'
    I am President of the Brunel University wargames society - PM me if interested.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    203 (x5)

Just some ideas on the aesthetics:

You could make the horse a Grey Dappled, would take a while though. The colors are very bright, is it a French themed army? I would imagine that enameled armor would more suit the knight than the horse - and those are rare indeed with a shiny black or a deep wine-red and embossed with a bit of gold [there is an Army Museum with next to our house with about a hundred originals racked up on display, most are plain steel].

The lance is very nice, but very tourney style - a war lance is a heavy-looking dark brown.

PS.
    Oh and having a Black Knight is compulsory - Monty Python says so!
    Last edited by Antithesis; January 5th, 2012 at 11:13.

“If you’re in the penalty area and don’t know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we’ll discuss the options later.” – Bob Paisley

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Antithesis View Post
    is it a French themed army
    Can't be. He's charging towards something and not away from it. Waddy did say it was a Czech army though

Looks Good Waddy. The colours are simple and strong so I can see a regiment/army looking really nice. the White and blue looks like it could do with a wash and a highlight though. How are you going to do the bases?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

88 (x2)

Borak is right, these are Czech themed knights in this unit :-P Definitely going for a black knight now that you've mentioned it though Antithesis! Most likely as a Paladin, maybe as a Lord He can be like the Black Prince if anyone challenges any fluff haha.

I decided that everyone uses woody brown colours for their lances, bows etc. so I'd break away from the crowd a little and do something different. I've been doing a little work on a early 90's style high elf army and all the bows, lances, spears etc were bright red in that era, so this is a little throwback that also looks nice and fits the colour scheme It may not be totally accurate but I think it doesn't look too silly?

I decided to go with colour on the horse's armour rather than the knight mainly because the area is larger so it has more of an effect from a distance. I was very careful thinking about this as Empire armies very often have metal armour on the horses and as I'm using these as Bretonnians I wanted to get away from the vast expanses of boltgun metal. I like how the metal knight's armour goes nicely witht the deep blue barding though.

The blue has had a very heavy wash, a combination of very stong lighting from only one direction, only using an iPhone camera and generally having terrible photography skills has made the blue not show up very well! I think it might need a highlight though, I think I'll go with lines of regal blue on the raised bits, and if thats not bright enough I'll add some white?

Painting white is... horrible for me. I literally have no idea what to do. The white that is there is from the undercoat and just touched up with more plain white where I'd splashed blue or red on it by mistake. I have no idea how to create shade on it or highlight it at all :/ I was thinking a grey wash or grey paint or something but I'm scared it will look terrible!

Would you paint the whole army in this one colour scheme? Or would you go for different unit having totally different schemes as though they were from different countries/realms? My plan was to have different ones but I do really like this one and how simple it is!

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

I'll be honest with you........... White is very hard to do. I do it in quite a few ways but the way I do feathers is to use Deneb Stone mixed with skull white (50/50mix) then dry brush that up with a 75/25 mix of white/Deneb and then dry brush it again (very lightly) with skull white. I do my clothes the same way (like the ones in my Empire Blog).

Well, how about doing a 'regiment' made from different family lines or something? Or provinces or what ever you want. You could do a Regiment in it's own scheme or at least keep the main colours the same but swap the colours around. You could give each model in the regiment different Heraldry. That'd tie the unit together but still make them individuals. Or paint them every colour under the sun like Brets.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

88 (x2)

I've just finished the basecoat for the musician and added the sheild arm (minus the sheild) to the guy pictured above... so progress is being made

For the white, would it be possible to go from skull white and get darker with a wash? and then highlight back? I was thinking a very watered down codex grey, and then then white to touch up? it'd bring the shadows of the depressions out I think?

I think I've grown quite attached to the colour scheme I've got now. I certainly don't think I want to have a major departure to a totally different scheme. Maybe if I went for countries with the same national colours? So France, Slovakia, Russia... then the whole army is the same colours, but different ways around and they all have their own heraldry in the form of national flags on banners and sheilds? I thought that a Knights of the Realm unit should be generally from one area, so likely to be part of an extended family? that would explain having the same colours and stuff Then the multiple units would be from the same province (hence same colours) but different regions of it (hence different variations)?

I think I talk far too much :-P

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

88 (x2)

Right so, progress report!

Did a little bit of touching up on the first tester I did, and thoguth I'd be nice and give him his other arm! Also painted the musician, complete with czech national flag hanging from the trumpet

Lastly, here's a photo for a comparison between the first knight and second for the horses barding. Which looks better, right or left?

I'm still looking around for a way to paint white horses properly, hence they're no-where near done properly. Also waiting until I get back to uni next week so I can put snow flock on the bases
    Last edited by waddywoos; January 7th, 2012 at 00:29.

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

I don't know about Czechnians, but they look a lot like Captain America Knights right now, haha. I like them though, the colors are all very bold and it would be nice to see a whole regiment or whole army done up this way. Are you using glossy paints though, or is that glare just from your camera? Also - why the older hose models and not the new ones. At least, those look like older horses...
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

88 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSarathai View Post
    I don't know about Czechnians, but they look a lot like Captain America Knights right now, haha. I like them though, the colors are all very bold and it would be nice to see a whole regiment or whole army done up this way. Are you using glossy paints though, or is that glare just from your camera? Also - why the older hose models and not the new ones. At least, those look like older horses...
    hahaha, I hadn't thought about the captain america business! Maybe that should be a theme for a paintjob for the green knight when I get around to him ;-)

I'm using regular GW paints, but the top layer of everything is a wash I think, so between having to use an iPhone right now and the spotlight in the kitchen being very bright from only one direction... thats probably what it is! They don't look shiny in person

Are they older horses? I had a unit of 8 plus a captain left from back when orcs and empire were in the starter set, so if they've changed since then that would be why they appear to you as older! I took the tails off on purpose... I just don't see why you wouldn't tuck your horse's tail into its armour when going to war! sillyness...

Which of the horse bardings in the last photo do you prefer paint-wise captain?

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by waddywoos View Post
    For the white, would it be possible to go from skull white and get darker with a wash? and then highlight back? I was thinking a very watered down codex grey, and then then white to touch up? it'd bring the shadows of the depressions out I think?
    I'd probably mix a bit of White in with the Grey as pure Grey might be a bit too harsh. try two thin (really thin) coats compared to one thicker one. you'll get a better, more even, finish. then highlight up as you see fit

New Kaniggit looks good, especially the Helmet plumes. Close ups make the paint look very glossy. Is it just the light or the paints you use?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast