Librarium Online Forums banner

[Flames of War] Late War Schwere Panzerkompanie - 1750p, Kaiser style.

6K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Kaiser 
#1 · (Edited)
For various reasons, I haven't been very active on L-O for the past years for a multitude of reasons, the major being me almost having completely lost faith in GW due to their overwhelmingly bad track record on army balancing in both Fantasy Battles and 40 000 - I've thus moved on to greener pastures. While I'm still working on my World Eaters, they're little more than a hobby project that rarely get to play any games these days. On the plus side, they're almost done!

I did however recently begin work on a new Flames of War army and I spotted a distinct lack of Flames of War project threads, so I figured why not share my work. I'm by no means an expert painter, I'm just trying to bring some diversity to this part of the forum. At the moment, this thread will be dedicated to my current little project; A German heavy tank company.

This is a themed list, one I do not expect to win (m)any games - it's simply not viable to use up almost 80% of your point allowance on four models... but King Tigers are so awesomely cool that I'm doing it anyway and there's not a single person south of the Svalbard Islands who can talk me out of it.

So, here's the list. Taken from page 70 of the Grey Wolf book.
Code:
Company Command; Schwere Panzerkompanie HQ: 1x CiC King Tiger, Henschel turret - 350p

Combat Platoon #1; Schwere Panzer Platoon: 1x King Tiger, Henschel turret - 345p
Combat Platoon #2; Schwere Panzer Platoon: 1x King Tiger, Henschel turret - 345p
Combat Platoon #3; Schwere Panzer Platoon: 1x King Tiger, Henschel turret - 345p

Weapon Platoon #1; Panzer Anti-aircraft Gun Platoon: 2x Armoured Sd Kfz 7/1 - 100p
Weapon Platoon #2; Schwere Panzer Armoured Scout Platoon: 1x Command  Smg/Panzerfaust team, 6x MG teams, 7x Sd Kfz 251/1C APCs. - 260p
Now, I'm painting up this army for a tournament at my local club for club members only. It's not a very serious tournament, so it should probably be more considered a day of Flames of War gaming with a scoreboard somehow mixed in. Either way, every single one of my clubmembers are expecting me to bring my Russian Guards Heavy Tank Company, seeing as that's the only army they know I have. They have no idea I'm bringing out this little secret project.

Oh yes. Sneaky Kaiser is sneaky. I'm aiming for an "Ooooh, cool" type of reaction, expecting it to be followed by four straight defeats.

So, for the past week, I've been filing away mold lines and flash, glued everything together, based the infantry and the APCs, sprayed and given the tanks a basecoat of Scorched Brown, spread the work out, getting in an hour or two every now and then. Went rather smoothly. 1:100(15mm) is a great scale to work with.

Today I figured that even though I'm still missing the two AA-halftracks, I might as well get started on painting camouflage on what I have. It's only the first layer of colour - I intend to turn the darker brown into a more reddish colour and the lighter brown into something more on the yellow side, then there's weathering effects and detailing that need to be worked on, but I'm making good progress with this little army - something that's extremely rare for me. Still need to greenstuff a little flag on the command tank, then freehand a little swastika on it. Expecting it to turn out completely awful.

So, here's what I have sofar. Deadline is the 17th of February - 13 days.

Picture quality will improve in coming posts, but this late at night, my cellphone camera was all I had.

See less See more
#2 ·
Never played Flames of War but I've heard some good stuff about it. It's a nice looking force (very tank heavy). That's one hell of a Deadline too, you'd best get painting ;)

On the random note. I like doing that to my mates too. Secretly working on an army and when they challenge your XXXX Army you pull out something they've never seen before and weren't expecting. I did it with Imperial Guard a few times........... Now I have about 9 different Guard armies....... Oh well.

#4 · (Edited)
Small update today. Making good progress. While painting the camouflage basecoat is timeconsuming, it does look rather nice once it's done - though it still requires a bit of work. I intend to turn the darker brown more towards a shade of reddish brown and the light brown a bit more towards yellow. Will experiment a bit on the 8th APC a little before I move on.

Today I spent a couple of hours in this chair, the painting corner of my local tabletop club, finishing up the camouflage on the remaining 6 APC's. I prefer painting there rather than sitting at home - usually because there's people to keep you company, but if there isn't, I can hog all those lamps for myself. :)

Despite it only being one layer of colour, I think it looks rather nice. Still need to get myself a proper camera, but it doesn't seem worth the effort when all you've got to show is basecoats...

As I was packing up, I thought the infantry bases where a bit on the... boring side, so I grabbed the bowl of basing gravel we have standing around.

And glued on some rocks I liked.

That's it for today. Planning on getting some more work in tomorrow.

Deadline is the 17th of February - 12 days.

#5 ·
Doublepost, whoo!

Decided to leave the passenger fired AA-MG's off for now, they'll just get in the way when I paint the interior of the Sd Kfz 251/1Cs.

Worked a bit on the bases today. Drybrushed Beastial Brown, Graveyard Earth and Kommando Khaki over a Scorched brown basecoat. Drybrushing is awesome when you're painting dirt, I then painted the big pebbles and some of the small ones Codex Grey and splashed some Badab Black on them. Once they're dry, I'll work on brightening them up a bit further - probably with a light Codex Grey Drybrush, followed by an even lighted Fortress Grey one. Perhaps even a tiny bit of Skull White.

Picked up some further basing materials from a friend, but I won't glue anything on before the model is fully painted. It'll just get in the way.

Experimented quite a bit on the 8th APC in order to get the shade of brownish red I wanted for the camouflage. None of the attempts turned out too well, so in the end I settled for a mix of Red and Chestnut Ink. Pure Baal red just wasn't red enough over Beastial Brown. I'm not entirely satisfied with the result - it's been a long time since I last worked with GW's now outphased inks and I didn't quite remember just how... shiny it left the surfaces it touched. Still, I'm closer to the shade I wanted now than before, so it's not that bad.

Deadline is the 17th of February - 11 days.

#8 · (Edited)
So in recompensation for being slow on updates, here's a big one as the deadline draws closer and everything is nearing completion. The end result isn't as awesome as it could have been if I had started on this sooner and not forced this deadline upon myself by signing up for a tournament, but considering how quickly I've managed to get things done, I'm still pretty satisfied with how it's turning out. Apologise for the poor pictures though, I simply do not have any better camera.

The model count has now grown to 21 as I've gotten a hold of the two Sd Kfz 7/1 Quad 2cm AA half-tracks - who are really cool models. I have a fondness for anything quad-barrelled.

Assembling these wasn't very enjoyable though. As you can see, there's quite a few bits involved.

Superglue just ain't reliable enough on it's own, but when you mix in some green stuff, it'll take a quite a drop to make it break.

Sorry for the grainy pictures. Again, not much of a camera. :/

Fully assembled. Basically, every bit is attached with a greenstuff/superglue combo. Unbeatable when you're working with parts this small where you can't pin them in place.

In the meantime, the infantry is coming along just fine. There's still some work to be done with the skin tones. After some experimentation with Wehrmacht uniform colours, I decided to go the lazy route of painting them in Charadon Granite, then paint the backpacks, water bottles, the stock of their rifles and machine guns as well as the various bags they're tagging along in scorched brown. I then just dry brushed on some Beastial Brown, painted the skin in Dwarf Flesh and washed the entire model with Devlan Mud - but not before I dirtied the uniforms a little using a light brown drybrush. Goes rather nice with all the Devlan.

It's not that farm from their actual historical colours, hardly master-class painting, but it doesn't look bad and it's quick. I've also brightened up the stones on the bases a little and done some clean up on the guns with Chaos Black.

Getting close to the stage where I can start adding some vegetation to the bases.

All the vehicles have also received some attention. Again, by using the black magiks known only as talent-in-a-pot or Devlan Mud, I've turned the camouflage into something very near what I intended. The camouflage I set out to copy in the first place however is coloured in little dots aswell - but I found no quick way of painting these so they'd actually look like dots and not big blobs of paint splashed on to look like dots. 15mm isn't the most forgiving scale when it comes to small stuff like that.

Also, the various details on the tanks are more or less done. Here are the King Tigers now. I decided to leave the track sections the crew have welded onto the turrets for extra armor black to give the model a bit more diversity in it's colouring for now. I probably will go back and correct this later - I just wanted to see what it would look like if they where painted without the camouflage. Haven't quite decided yet. Still need a bit more work either way.

The APC's are coming along as well. The MG gunners are painted to the same level as the infantry are and the seats have been given a bit of attention.

Despite their late arrival, the AA-halftracks have caught up to the rest. Decided to magnetize the gun itself so would be able to turn, but also to make painting the thing a whole lot easier for myself.

Starting to look fairly impressive now.

Easily transported, plenty of room for expansion. Some JagdPanthers perhaps?

That's it for now. Even if I don't do anything else before Saturday I could still field them without anyone complaining about unfinished stuff. Still, there's work to do - there's all the tracks and the tires. The skin of all the soldiers still needs work, the APC's still haven't received their passenger fired AA-MG's and there's no vegetation on the bases. Iron crosses need painting too.

Still, quick work. Quite satisfied so far. Deadline remains Saturday.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.