The Bretonnian Foreign Legion - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: on the heraldry of knights errand

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • All the same heraldry (crusader)

2 50.00%
  • Different heraldry (still crusader)

0 0%
  • a different option (hopefully still crusader) please specify

2 50.00%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    125 (x2)

The Bretonnian Foreign Legion

So I thought for my first army I would theme it around something a bit more exciting than just knights, as impossible as that is. The basic concept is this. A Bretonnian lord based in Araby dies with no heirs except a half peasant bastard (my general) who then takes control of the fortress and promotes a bunch of peasants to knights errant (why they all have kit bashed weapons and no heraldry) and a bunch of heavily armored men at arms. they are then joined by standard bretonnian reinforcements (my standard KOTR) and the BSB who is a snob and a damsel that falls in with my general

ideas on the horizon

general i want to convert on to one of the new thunderwolves, have it count as a pegasus, with a couple of "pegasus knights" to accompany him
    questing knights from araby, i think scale armor, curved swords, stuff like that
    some heavily armored men at arms and peasant bowmen just for fun

what do you all think, this is what I have so far

the reinforcement knights
    2012-05-14 20.05.39.jpg

the damsel/prophetess
    2012-05-09_13-23-30_391.jpg

the men at arms with their captain (the painted one)
    2012-05-14 20.06.00.jpg2012-05-14 20.06.13.jpg2012-05-14 20.07.10.jpg

and the beginnings of a scratch built trebuchet that actually fires!

2012-05-14 20.07.39.jpg

any thoughts/suggestions??

Last edited by The Maned Wolf; May 15th, 2012 at 04:20.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    515 (x8)

The painting so far and the background is all great, and a working Trebuchet would be outstanding. I saw a full size reconstruction operate at Caerphilly castle once, I'd be very caerful where you test it. Looking forward to seeing more.
    Jager bombs. Very efficient at wiping out friend or foe.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    954 (x8)

The Knight Errant heads on the M@As really give them a great look - I like that!! Aso, a nice hand-painted cross on the shield as that will make an impressive sight on the field.

If you are going for the Araby feel, maybe use High Elf archers with the M@A heads? The HE archer bodies have the puffy pants/sleeves and look suitable Arabic.
    Which armies do I have? Holy Cow - I've got three boys, so what armies do I NOT have??
    Win/Loss Ratio? - I usually let my boys win, so frankly, it stinks...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

125 (x2)

I was thinking of using some high elves or even wood elves to make the archers look less like feudal french and a little more arabian, but haven't started those yet, i wanted to greenstuff as much extra armor as i could onto my men at arms and archers to represent how much my lord cares about them (not that this will mean anything in terms of the game) but because he was a half peasant you know?

It is kind of hard to see on the champion but he has two of those little sheilds , one on his belt and one on his shoulder, they each are a different color scheme than he is, I wanted that to represent the allegiance of two other warrior bands that joined him, one blue and yellow, and the other black and white thought it might look good when they are all together, I also wanted to go for a crusader feel

as for the treb, I think it would be alright if i shot it in game much more realistic firing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    133 (x2)

I would faint if you squashed my gobbos. It would be far too epic.

Really nice painting on the knights. I look forward to more!
    W/D/L Rumpin' BackThumpa's WAAAGH, 38/3/21

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

125 (x2)

Next update, I decided to run a block of 24 men at arms in my 1000 pt list and i just finished the first six

2012-05-22 13.43.40.jpg2012-05-22 13.47.13.jpg2012-05-22 13.47.27.jpg2012-05-22 13.47.35.jpg

What do you guys think? should i stick with one of those color schemes? I kind of liked the idea of several different units forming up together, felt a little more realistic to me, keeps up the crusader feel

Mr Commisar to you Commisarlestat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    332 (x8)

I like the different shields. Perhaps do a colour theme to keep them together or several of the same type of paint scheme to show small groups of maa banding together. Looking really good so far!

A

Ps: just realised what the heraldry was on the far left maa like it.
    Also another thought perhaps use some high elf or wood elf cavalry with oval shields painted as an Arabian style mounted yeoman unit?
    Last edited by Commisarlestat; May 22nd, 2012 at 22:18.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

125 (x2)

I thought it would be cool to have three distinct groups of maa, and have some of the same heraldry reflected in the knights errant, that way it would seem like every knight brought along some of their own retainers/squires

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

125 (x2)

so after assembling my entire 1500 pt army I decided to give myself a bit of a treat and model my unique lord/hero. I like the idea of a paladin on a Pegasus but I thought it would be cool to model one on a thunderwolf and have it count as a Pegasus, this is my first attempt at a complex conversion so go easy on me! what do you all think?

2012-05-23 14.46.03.jpg2012-05-23 14.46.12.jpg2012-05-23 14.46.31.jpg2012-05-23 14.46.46.jpg

Keeper of Records and Ale King Ulrik Flamebeard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1371 (x8)

That is really cool. He works really well on there, great work! The idea of brets on wolves is one I have never seen before, but why not? What is your plan for his helm? And that mace is proper beefy! Did he mug Sauron?

Kuffy