Librarium Online Forums banner

Toys 'n' that

229K views 1K replies 90 participants last post by  Lord Borak 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, firstly, been away for a while but now I'm back! Did you even notice I was gone? Either way, my rambling ways are back...............and with a new project. Yes, yes, yes. Another project thread but this will be for EVERYTHING now as I'm sick of looking for them all. A complete collection of all my dry brushed and washed toy soldiers.

Right, what the hell have been up to? Well, at the end of June I'm going to a 40k Doubles tournament and the first army to grace this thread will be that army. Unfortunately........ The army consists of 106 men and I have, what?, 4 more weeks? So the painting will be a bit rushed which is a shame because they're all the old metal Cadians. Still.......... here we go!

Army shot. As you can see......... it's a sea of men. Can you believe all that is only 875pts? Some models still need stripping/basing/undercoating but this is everything.

Now, I did take some close ups of the freehand unit markings and other such goodies but unfortunately the good camera is back in Australia with the MRs....... so you'll have to cope with crappy pics for a few weeks till the camera (and the Wife) gets here.

So thats 20 models done. 86 to go..... still, not bad for 1 weeks work.

Anyway, here's the army list for those interested.

Company Command Squad
-Officer with Power Fist
-4 Vets, Regimental Std, Melta Gun
-Master of Ordinance

Platoon A
-Platoon Command Squad with 2 Melta guns
-2 Infantry squads with Autocannons and Grenade Launchers
-2 Infantry Squads with Lascanons
- Assault Squad with 2 Flamers and 1 Demo Charge

Platoon B
-Platoon Command Squad with 2 Melta guns
-2 Infantry squads with Autocannons and Grenade Launchers
-2 Infantry Squads with Lascanons
- Assault Squad with 2 Flamers and 1 Demo Charge

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
Alas, Tis just residing alongside the riff raf in our old colony that has changed me. Fear not! Now I'm back in blightly all will be fine and dandy just you watch!

Well, it's her camera so not really seeing as she does photography as a Hobby. Bit of a shame but I remembered one of my ole mates has a decent camera and he lives fairly near me so I'll get some decent pics on the weekend. Including some new Empire models I've been working on. Whilst I haven't been able to get online I have been doing hobby............in between getting drunk and recovering from hangovers..... It's been a busy week.

I also have a few other side projects going on. One small, pretty and deadly whilst the other is big, ugly and has green things for mates.

#6 ·
Ooooo old metal guard. I've had my steel legion out recently and it is nice to see metal guard hordes. As usual I shall follow this as I have your other projects! Good luck on the painting. The beauty of guard is that a quick paint scheme often looks the best and the testing up can be done later.

A

#7 ·
You mean 18 models, right? Heavy Weapon Crews only count as 1 :p ...and you still need to base them. Otherwise, all those guardsmen look great and I like the Infantry-based list.

Also, no Officer of the fleet? He's almost an auto-include most times though understandable if trying to avoid putting a damper on your opponents' mood/enjoyment of the game (same w/ PBS).

Anyways, keep up the good work on painting those IG.

#9 · (Edited)
Kaleb:
Thanks dude. It's nice to be back in ole blighty. As well as on here and painting again. :) I need to get 20models done every week from now though to get the army done....... it's pretty tight.

Commissar:
Aye! Metal guard! I don't do any of that plastic guard nonsense!! After these guys are done I'll crack on with my 100 Kasrkin, then onto my 1500pt Praetorian infantry list......... and then onto the metal catachans...... God bless :D

Certs:
Hey! They're 2 models on one base! They count as 2!!! :p Thanks for reminding me. I have a master of Ordinance. ;) Well, as for the dampner, this is a tourney so I'm fully prepared for uber death Grey Knight lists of beardy pain, and I haven't played 40k since 8th ED Fantasy came out so there is no way in hell we're going to win the tourney. I'm just going mainly to go out and get drunk in Nottingham :D

Kuffy:
Be glad my Mrs does read what? What you wrote? I'd enjoy seeing my lil Mrs beat you senseless (not that it'd take much). As for painting.....well, erm...... going to the pub, sorry. Maybe tomorrow ;)

Might have new Pics tomorrow. You never know!!!

#10 ·
Ok, we have some slightly better photo's. Not great but better :)

Squad 2 of Platoon A. Squad 1 ain't much different.

Close up of sergeant.

The Ace of Diamonds. Playing Cards are going to be a feature in this army :)

Fatigues are Codex grey with 2 washes...... Works alright I think.

#13 ·
I fully expect to be smashed by small children so I've already accepted utter defeat at the tourney. Your threats are meaningless lol. Should be fun though. My mate is taking a Ork infantry list. Has 50 Orks, 20 Grots and 9 Kans.... add that to my 106 men and it should fill the board!!!!

The bases will be a lot similar to my WHFB Orcs. Sand coloured bases with Dark grey rocks and grass and small bushes here and there.

#16 · (Edited)
Thanks Al, I think lol. As for the 'quality' the black is just black spray with 2 highlights, the silver is boltgun with a wash and one highlight and the fatigues are Codex grey with 2 heavy washes. I'm sure you can manage that dude ;) Aye, that's pretty much why I made this thread. It was pissing me off and when I have 2+ Guard Armies, my Orcs, my Empire and maybe another Chaos army down the line I figured the amount of threads would be getting beyond a joke.

Anyway, this last two days progress on batch number 2. Fatigues, Black/Armour and the silver is done.

Tomorrow, if I have time, will be the Brown/straps. Thursday will be faces/eyes and Friday all the other bits like unit markings, grenades and other fiddly bits. All the bases will be done last, all together, when all the men are painted.

#19 ·
Thanks Al, I think lol. As for the 'quality' the black is just black spray with 2 highlights, the silver is boltgun with a wash and one highlight and the fatigues are Codex grey with 2 heavy washes. I'm sure you can manage that dude ;) Aye, that's pretty much why I made this thread. It was pissing me off and when I have 2+ Guard Armies, my Orcs, my Empire and maybe another Chaos army down the line I figured the amount of threads would be getting beyond a joke.
I would love to say yup I can deal with that, but I can't, and I don't entirely beleive you. I swear I must do washes and crap wrong cos mine just don't look very good.

Echoing what Praxis said though, I will attempt to paint less in longer and be satisfied if they look nearly as good :)

#17 ·
Outstanding work as always, Lord Borak. You have inspired me to up the anti in Junes ToXG - if you can paint two ten man squads in a week, I have to try and at least match that in a month. Looking forward to seeing more photos, and have some rep for the swift work.

#20 ·
Are you mad? there's nowt wrong with your stuff lol. What do you use for washes though? I'm using a 50/50 mix of Devlan Mud and Badab Black wash on the clothes and metal (seriously, it's like wonder wash). Just watering down paint doesn't give you the same finish.... ?

Cheers though guys, but these guys do need to be done quick like. The tournament is barely over 4 weeks away and my Mrs gets back in just over 3 weeks time so I've pretty much just got 3 more weeks to paint EVERYTHING.... Painting these 20 guys doesn't even put me half way lol. However, I'm not working at the moment so I can just spend a whole day painting. Maybe thats it?

Cheers for the Rep Praxis :)

#21 ·
Are you mad? there's nowt wrong with your stuff lol. What do you use for washes though? I'm using a 50/50 mix of Devlan Mud and Badab Black wash on the clothes and metal (seriously, it's like wonder wash). Just watering down paint doesn't give you the same finish.... ?
That might be it, I don't really own the washes, and do just make do with watered down paints and glazing those on. Makes for a very time consuming process, the 2 washes I do have I glaze on as well, they are just really thin and actually go on like glazes.

Don't get me wrong I am not disappointed with my stuff at all, I just don't use washes really at all. As a result it takes me forever to paint anything.

What are you doing posting on here anyway, get going you should be typing with your cramped up fists with all the painting you have to do between now and your wife getting back.

#23 ·
Pfffffffffffffffffft, coming from you, who's painted half a Vampire in 2 weeks, thats rich :p Nah, I have a plan! (famous last words) I do a certain stage each day. That way I can still chill out and not burn myself out. Which does happen to me now and again. Anyway, thats the plan. If I get all the brown done fairly quickly I might do something else. You'll have to wait till tomorrow for an update either way :p

Al, each to their own. I pretty much wash everything when it's just gaming standard. These guys, my Empire and my Orcs were wash tastic. Base coat, wash, highlight or two and thats a colour done. Its the only way I can get armies done. I just go mental and give up on the army otherwise... When I've watered down 'normal' paint in the past it tends to leave tiny bits of 'grit' everywhere. Which is just the paint that hasn't diluted properly but thats what I've found anyway.

#24 ·
I've painted a vampire, converted another and started painting, 1 elf hero, 20 swordmasters, converted 2 graveguard, painted a DE assassin, rebased 17 of my Khorne warriors in the last two weeks, all while working 6 days a week, ha!!! suck on those apples :p and I'm pretty damn lazy it has to be said (Hence why I stopped doing commission work). I had a burn out a while ago, slowly getting back into it, I found it was painting stuff to a standard I didn't like pissed me off and not really want to bother, stupid commission work :(

#27 · (Edited)
Brown is done. Didn't manage to get anything else done as I had to fart around on the phone.......... Hold music for half a hour, only to be told I was on hold to the wrong department...... they connected me to the 'right' department. On hold for half an hour..........wrong department. Repeat process......... Finally get through to the right office...........no one there........... "Please leave a message" AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!!! *breathe*. Either way, Brown is done :D

.......not that I'm getting distracted at all but I'm making my Orc list up to 2500pts........heres the 'unit filler' for my Trolls..... He's been sitting in my bitz box since Christmas 2004

EDIT:
Dan, I have just as many Praetorians waiting for me to paint and more of the old metal Catachans. The old metal stuff is just so nice to paint, it almost paints itself. Plus I don't have to fart around sticking silly plastic models together!!

#30 ·
Nine months later....
........ Kuffy?

Tony:
Cheers mate! Hope you stay tuned :)

Right, a bit random. Well, it is but it isn't. I need some Objective markers for the tournament and seeing as the painting competition is about unsung heroes I reckon I can kill two birds with one stone. It took me an hour (I kid you not) to sift through my bitz box to find them, and at one point I did start to panic, but find them I did............

Praetorian casualties. I have 3 although there's only 2 'types' of models so I'll probably only end up using 2 of them as objectives. They look pretty good as officers or important types so they're good as markers. I'll probably paint them up as Praetorians though, just as a tester for the "I'll do it one day" Praetorian army I've had since......erm...... probably before I got that Troll model.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.