Librarium Online Forums banner

The Fires Of Life - Mono Tzeentch army progression

15K views 49 replies 9 participants last post by  Lord Borak 
#1 ·
Hey guys! So I always feel that I’m rushing to paint for tournaments and don’t actually get the armies that I have imagined in my head onto the tabletop. This threads purpose is going to be me showing my progress as a hobbyist and war gamer with the 2500 point mono Tzeentch list that I have planned to run for West Coast GT, Broadside Bash and Quake City Rumble. (Most the major tournaments in Southern Cali that I will be attending).
My list may not be the most competitive with all the optimal choices, but with how harsh comp is nowadays in Cali I would rather enjoy myself in the middle tables instead of gettin my teeth kicked in by super cheesed out lists. That’s just not my style.

My overall goal for the army is to get people to stop by as they are walking around looking at armies on display and think “Man, that’s badass” when they get to mine. My painting is subpar I feel, but I can hopefully make up for that with my creativity and basing work. If you have any tips or tricks on my work then PLEASE tell me! :) I want become the best hobbyist I can.

[Side note! If you are bored while grinding though your hobby work then go give a listen to the West Coast Hammertime podcast. Fun listen and some good info on some GT’s they attend.]

Alright so I guess it’s time to get to my actual list that will be running.
Here goes!

Lords
Sorceror Lord- Disk of Tzeentch, Level 4, Lore of Tzeentch, Mark of Tzeentch, Chaos Familiar, Enchanted Shield, Ruby Ring of Ruin, Talisman of Preservation
This guy is my mobile artillery and every game I play with him he is usually the MVP. Not the general so it isn’t too terrible if he gets picked off, but he is super hard to kill with 3 wounds and a 1+/3++

Heroes
Exalted Hero- Army Battle Standard, Disk of Tzeentch, Great weapon, Mark of Tzeentch, Shield, Scaled Skin,Armour of Destiny
Tool box BSB with a good armor and ward.

Exalted Hero [GENERAL]- Halberd, Mark of Tzeentch, Daemonic Mount (Barding), Burning Body, Third Eye of Tzeentch, Dragonhelm, Talisman of Endurance
Heres the general. He’s 3 wounds at t5 so it’s same as a chaos lord and he goes in the warrior block to give out leader 9. 1+/4++ (rerolling 1s) so he’s pretty defensive and he will hopefully get rid of the regen that I might be giving to units with the magic. He is a nice target for cannons and such, but he has more than a 50% chance of blocking the shots and there are also a ton of other targets in the list.

Core
Chaos Chariot- Mark of Tzeentch

5x Chaos Warhounds

5x Chaos Warhounds

20x Chaos Warriors- Full Command, Mark of Tzeentch, Shields, Standard of Discipline
The anvil of the army and also one of the center pieces. only 5 wide and several ranks back to hopefully stay stead fast or deny ranks. Sadly this unit doesn’t always see combat because of the lack in speed.

5x Marauder Horsemen- Musician, Standard Bearer, Mark of Tzeentch, Spears
Warmachine hunters, late game redirectors.

Special
Chimera- Flaming Breath, Regenerating Flesh

3x Dragon Ogres- Great Weapons

3x Dragon Ogre- Great Weapons
May not be the best choice, but s7 is nasty to fight against. Also, I LOVE the models and what you can do with them.

Rare
Mutalith Vortex Beast
I see this as a decent monster than really flies under the radar. 5 wounds with a 4+/5+regen it can hang around for awhile. The bound spell is really fun and after a few beers it seems like the best idea in the world to cast it everywhere. With all the elf armies that are out there now also gives the toughness checks a better chance of getting through. He’s also not a terrible fighting and will kill most chaff and flanking units.

Now for the pictures and updates on what I'm working on!

See less See more
#2 ·
I also will be posting my updates on Twitter and Instagram which are just easy ways to keep my friends updated on how my hobby work is going.

Twitter: @Austin_TheMan
Instagram: WarhammerFantasy

Alright so onto the army work. My army will have a display board specifically made for it. I will have the units sit flush inside the board so when everything is presented it will look smooth and natural. Here are some pictures on what the display board is looking like so far. Just getting started on it.

#7 · (Edited)
Just a little update. This is one of the bases that one of the dragon ogre squads will be on. I keep all of the bases attached while I build them and then cut them apart with a blade after. I feel like it gets the unit more flow.

Together

Separated

All of my units are (hopefully) going to a sit flush inside the display board.

#15 ·
I'm going to fit the bases into the display board as I build them. They already all have set spots.

On a side note though, I played a game this afternoon with the mono tz list against my friends no magic mono nurgle list. It was interesting. I basically tried to use my mobility to pick my fights and it worked for the most part. My anvil of warriors and general on demonic mount were able to hold off a chaos lord and a bunch of chaos knights, a chariot, and a semikited out nurgle dp. The unit is freaking hard to break. My mage managed to pick off a ton of warriors and heros. MVP for sure. I feel tzeentch magic is extremely underrated. Having gateway/bolt/blue fire/ ruby ring I was able to just tear units apart. Gateway though.....oh it's nasty. I'm happy it doesn't just remove units now so there isn't as much hate as before.

The drogres did okay. Ws4 against a nurgle warrior army isn't idea for them :/ fun game over all though and I pulled out the win. I'll post pictures on the warriors bases later. I finished them yesterday and I really like them. In my signature you can see them on my Instagram link.

#16 ·
Alright so a bit of an update. Mostly pictures and sort of an idea on how I am building my army. I had several units already complete from just old units I will use in this list (with an update on the armor colors depending on the colors I choose).

Here is just the start of some of the texture/rocks that will be on the board. Just getting going but this is how the units will sit flush in the board. Cork board is one of my favorite materials to work with because of the options it gives you. The only downside is that it expands when you cut into it so it's good to have a sander or sandpaper on hand. I use a dremel with a sander bit.
There will also be a river running through the board from the top left section down into the middle. I love me some water effects.

These are the units I have done or am working. I need to have this done in 8 weeks! Eeekkkk! The units are in a general area of where they will be placed on the board when its done.

Here's a close up of the warrior units base that I just recently finished. I have all the models I will need for the unit and they are all either converted in some way. I'll post those later. The only model in the unit now is the exalted on demonic mount. He's actually the general because I don't trust my lvl4 on disk since he is going to be all over the table. The unit hasn't been cut into the insulation foam yet so they are a little above the rest of the surrounding cork board. This is going to be a unit of 21 warriors with shields. THE ANVIL!

#21 ·
Bit of progress in these last few weeks. I finished all the warriors other than the banner and the big guy that is a 4 man unit filler. I'll post the warriors from my phone onto here since I haven't uploaded them yet. These guys took WAAAAAY too long. Each one was a few hours...but I am extremely happy with the outcome. These guys are going on the base I posted a while back with my general in the unit. Let me know what you think!

#22 ·

Some base coats

Here is some of the light to dark blue blending on the armor

Lots of browns and also the weapon colors.

And there they are! Very happy with them.

I still have little bits to clean up on each model but they are 98% done! 5 weeks till they needs to be finished and I'm right on track.

#24 ·
The models in the unit that aren't from GW are from reaper, warmachine/hordes, and also mierce. I posted a thread awhile back in the woc section about alternative models and I ended up doing a mix of knights and warriors like you mentioned but also threw in some other companies as well to give more poses to the unit. I'll post the ranked up unit in a bit.

#25 ·

Here's a quick picture of the center model that takes up 4 slots of the warrior unit. Still need to do a lot of work on him but that's the general theme of him.

Also, I finished the first dragon ogre squad! Very happy with their outcome. Still have to glue them to their base though. The arms are magnetized on incase I want to switch to 2 hand weapons one day.

#31 ·
Working on my mutalith vortex beast. Not a fan of the GW model and it's also quite pricey so I'm creating my own. Snagged this cockatrice from my local game store for 20 bucks and it is a very tzeentchy feeling monster to begin with so I'm going to use it as the main part of the model. It just feels a little small so I'm going to extend the body and swap out the wings for manticore wings since they have claws at the end and I want to make the creature crawling.

This is the original body shape. I want to straighten it out and give the model a new pose. I am using a blow dryer to heat up the resin. Once it's hot enough it can be bent into a new shape and once it's in the shape I like I run it under cold water to harden it. It takes several times because I don't want to pull it all in one go and ruin the model.

A few bends.

Much better! Now to cut it open and extend the body.

General body size and position

Pinned in. Now to fill the gap

I am trying to give it almost a second stomach area (my idea is that it pukes out it's bound spell from here).

This is what looks like all done (for now). My green/grey stuff skills aren't the best but I figure it's good enough. That area of the model isn't going to be looked at very much. Now to figure out the wings!

Love these wings

This is the general pose (ignore that awesome living room background). The lowered wing is going to be on a rock to give a feel that the creature is crawling. The raised wing is meant to look like it's about to swing for an attack. At this point I'm trying to figure out all the positioning before anything is glued in. Now for the tail.

I'm using the manticore tail as well since I like the look of it and it makes the model look to be in motion more. That's all I have for right now. The feet will be the normal cockatrice feet but with a lot of bending to position them onto the terrain it will be moving over.

#32 ·
Little bit of an update on the army. My bsb model finally arrived (the darklands skull bearer) and he is riding a screamer from the exalted tz chariot from the DoC. The conversion came out pretty well I feel. Had to change the bottom half of the banner pole to something thicker and also converted his weapon arm it's an arm holding the reins of his screamer. Hard to do any kit bashing since their line of figures are a bit more accurate in scale instead of the heroic scaling from GW.

And here he is primed and ready to be painted!

Will post updates on him soon once he has some color applied.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.