First Bretonnian Archers WIP - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Bretonnian Army Journal

OK im going to turn this thread into a journal for my 1500pt Bretonnian army from start to finish.

A rough army list: 3 regiments of 16 Archers
    1 regiment of men-at-arms
    2 units of knights of the realm
    1 unit of knights errant
    1 unit of mounted yeoman
    2 paladins (1 with battle standard)
    1 lvl 1 damsel

This army will represent the army of a duke and so will have a cohesive colour scheme throughout, though knights will have individual heraldry in addition to wearing the dukes coluors. i have picked the army to keeps it within the realms of feasibility with regards to an actually medieval army and so will not be using a lot of mage, creature ,pegasus knights etc

The first regiment that i have purchased is 16 bowmen, these are providing me with an oppurtunity to practice my scheme (im stuck on painting red after about 4000pts of blood angels over the years)

The idea of the army is that i will build and paint it a regiment at a time and once the list is complete i wont add anything else to it.

These are the first of the archers that im painting up for my new Bretonnian army. i will be sticking with a blue and white as a theme throughout.

Bear in mind that these will be forming part of the back rank of a regiment of peasants so im not spending years on them and the idea behind the unsubtle highlighting is that it looks effective as a whole regiment on a table, i might take some shots from further back to show what i mean.

Comments, criticisms and ideas are all welcome

Note these are WIP and the white is not completely finished neither are the bows/straps etc. More just to show of the scheme.

+ + EDIT + +

Ok i have a new question, i need ideas regarding the 'undergarment' that some of the archers are wearing, this cloth is only visible on the arms of some of them. What colour would work here? It needs to be neutral, bleached bone is to close to the white and any tone of blue makes the model look messy so im open to ideas here.

Please edit posts, not double post. - KU

Last edited by rovens; February 1st, 2007 at 23:43.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With the cloth you might want to go a dark brown and highlight up to a lighter brown it will look good what brown it doesnt matter what ever brown's suit you. The scheme you have got going looks good i like it great job.
    (\_/)
    (0.0)
    (><)This is Bunny. Copy Bunny and this message into your signature to help him on his way to world Domination!

Consumate professional Sir Theobold the Lame's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x8)

nice, they are looking good. I use a similar scheme of quartered blue and white, with red fleur-de-lys. I call them my Blackburn Rovers Brettonians. A whole army with these sort of scheme looks very impressive.

I agreethat a brown type colour on the undergarments would be best. Personally id go more the khaki end of the spectrum (something like Graveyard Earth as a base) than a darker brown.
    PLAN CLAN MAN!!

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- S. Johnson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well i got those 8 archers finished, they took longer than expected but i think that i'll get quicker as i go on with these.

Comments welcome so they can be taken on board, i still have the front rank to do and another 2 regiments of 16 archers each.

No i dont like the bases much either, ill improve them for the regimetns from now on, the stones/sand i used was too coarse and didnt cover very well.
    Last edited by rovens; February 1st, 2007 at 23:59.

Consumate professional Sir Theobold the Lame's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x8)

the paint scheme is working well, for rank and file they look pretty good.

Looks like some of the white patches could do with a second coat though, its a bit patchy in places. Personally id have gone with a steel look on the helmet too but thats just me!
    PLAN CLAN MAN!!

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- S. Johnson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Theobold the Lame View Post
    the paint scheme is working well, for rank and file they look pretty good.

Looks like some of the white patches could do with a second coat though, its a bit patchy in places. Personally id have gone with a steel look on the helmet too but thats just me!
    Looking at them like that, i agree on the white, i think ill wait till i get to that stage on the next 8 and then put an extra coat on these at the same time.

The helmet was meant to be a rusty/tarnished steel. Any ideas how to make it more steely looking, i think i need to go over it agian with bolgun metal to tone down the ink.

+ Reply to Thread