Librarium Online Forums banner

Imperial guard motivational diary.

25K views 94 replies 25 participants last post by  Andusciassus 
#1 · (Edited)
Imperial guard motivational diary...

Ok, I have no real pics or such just yet, but in order to force myself into getting some, and more then one finished model, I decided to jump on this train. This first post contains really nothing...
I could write:
2000 points IG- not yet primed...
But soon they will be finished:)

#2 ·
*taps foot*

;)

Have you got an idea of what models you want, or what you're planning on painting first, or what? I find it's much easier if you have a bit of a plan, even if you don't stick to it :)

-t.

#3 ·
I'll be using the Steel Legion models, all metal. Some special units will be Mordians - I'm thinking HQ-hangarounds.
My first unit will be a rather converted Armoured fist Squad(melta, heavy flamer-team vet sarge), next up will be the JO and his four men. 3 Plasmas and a Vox.
But I'll get back with a more serious schedule when time is on my side...tonight like...

#5 ·
I told you before, I have no real pics, but till I do these will have to be sufficient. They are in different WIP-stages, from very crude conceptuals to near finished.
The pics are just as bad as you have come to expect from me, but when I have a full unit painted I'll take some extra time and read a "how to take pics of your minis"-guide.
First out is my Junior Officer and three of his guards. They are all carrying plasmaguns and in the few games I played, they have actually been a real success.

I use Mordians for those a bit more fancy guys, but I'm adding some gasmasks and some legth to their coats to make them blend in. The JO is far to evil to be needing a gasmask, it takes far more to kill him. Really it does...

Next out is the first part of my Heavy Flamer team, they'll be mounted in a Chimera under command of a vet sarge, the one on the following pic. I have also made a Melta gunner but the pics I took on him were to bad even for me to post.

The Flamer guy is quite finished, I have still got some work to do on the hose and such, but the Sarge is but a concept. I used Green Stuff instead of Bluetac though... I guess he is Greentacked.

The last pic of the evening is the crudest conversion this far, also just greentacked, he is the first of my "ratlings". Can't really play guard without using snipers ow can you?
I love the Image of some wicked ones hiding in a bombed out building carefully aiming at people and nobody knew what hit them. To me that is just way to cool an image to ignore. I guess they won't be the most used unit but I really don't care:)
And remember, he is but greentacked. He'll get a greatcoat and a sniperrifle, hopefully tonight.

#7 ·
They look awesome buddy, but I have a small (yet irritating) question.
Can regular guard take Heavy Flamers? I'm not overly familiar with the codex, but I had a quick look and couldn't find anything...

Also, you've just inspired my next "guide to:..." which will hopefully be photography. Lucky for me I'm picking up my new camera on saturday, so I can photograph myself taking photos, as it were.
Hopefully it will be of some use to you :)

I really must say, you're far braver than me, I couldn't think about attempting a guard army unless I managed to clear my entire life for about a year... Too... many... minis...

Keep up the good work :)

-t.

#8 ·
looking relay good, only question i have is does that heavy flamer guard have eyes or is that something your going to add (or am i just missing it compleatly :tongue: )

#9 ·
Silvanest said:
looking relay good, only question i have is does that heavy flamer guard have eyes or is that something your going to add (or am i just missing it compleatly :tongue: )
The Steel Legion minis (generally) wear full-face gas-masks, so the flat panel just below his helmet is actually a visor. I'd find some painted pics, but GWUK seems to be denying they exist. Odd.

-t.

#10 ·
Can regular guard take Heavy Flamers?
Nope, you are spot on, they can't. But I just don't care since it's such a sweet weapon.
This is how it all came to be. I saw the HF-team on the FW-site and I liked it, so I asked my mate, Kristofer who I usually play with, if it would be alright for him if I used it. Since you can have it if you buy the Jungle Fighter doctrine, and I would be willing to pay the points mentioned, he said it was OK.
I think it is one of the coolest (pun intended) weapons around and it fits those trench fighters perfect (IMHO).

I'd find some painted pics, but GWUK seems to be denying they exist. Odd.
They are OOP, that's why.. But of course good old -t is right, he has eyes but underneath. Don't try to lure me into chaosyfying him please... mmm eyes mmm...

Lucky for me I'm picking up my new camera on saturday
Then I guess I'll just send you the army and let you take the pics:)

@Kuffy, Rabbit & Silvanest: thanks guys. With a project this size I need all the support I can get.

#12 ·
They are OOP, that's why.. But of course good old -t is right, he has eyes but underneath. Don't try to lure me into chaosyfying him please... mmm eyes mmm...

@Kuffy, Rabbit & Silvanest: thanks guys. With a project this size I need all the support I can get.

haha, sorry man i didnt know, i havnt seen some of the realy old steel legion models. but if thats the case then he looks realy good.

and good luck to you man. steel legion is a personal vaforite of mine. and i would have done it if it wasnt OOP and metal... you are a brave man sir.

#11 ·
Andusciassus said:
Then I guess I'll just send you the army and let you take the pics:)
Sounds like a plan... Although, the army might "go missing" in the return post ;)

Nothing more to add other than my continued awe at your awesomeness.
Although it is really odd seeing models of yours without tentacles and extra eyes...

-t.

#13 ·
So, I have now started to find a way to "speedpaint" this army. It is quite different to the very slow technique I have used earlier on my sons. BUt I did chose quite an easy coloursheme knowing this army would be different.
So, I have now finished nine models, or at least near finished - there are still some minor details remaining but I think there always is and always will be.
Anyhow, I have finished the three Plasmagunners (mordians) and their Liutenant, as well as the vet sarge with bionics and two more of his armoured fists squad. On top of that I'm done with my first Heavy Bolter team.
What takes time is really not the painting (who am I kidding) but the fact I have to strip the models and get them tidy. And any conversions I make takes like forever. I changed weapon on one from lasgun to melta and I think it took like an hour only to get rid of the old las.
Enough rambling back to reality... I'll return with pics tonight.

#14 ·
So, what have I done this week since I last posted anything? Well I've been painting and spent quite a lot of time with my family, but mostly I've been stripping models. Then restripping them and after that discovered yet another method to clean them up. Now they are all nice and clean however, so from here on it's all painting and modelling.

I have learned quite a lot about "speedpainting" I might say. I started out doing three models at a time and it worked quite nice but looking at the mountain of models I have to finish it really seemed like a fart in the universe. Nothing.
I then decided to "up" the numbers a bit. If I can do three, I thought, then I should be able to do...ten!
That I can say is quite the worst idea I've had in a long time. And I get bad ideas quite regularly. Ten models is a nightmare. Now I know that. Yippi.
I have not really finishedfinished those ten, there are still some minor details that needs to be fixed like the googles and faces/skin. But I've anyway managed a fair bit of painting.

This is one squad worth of models, not the setup they'll have inthe game though but I thought it looked better to have the first pic of what looks like a unit. Like I said there are still details to be added and finished, but you get the picture. The Plasma guy on the left is part of one of my JO-squads and has nothing to with those guys, there will be pics on them later.
I've started on two Missile launcher teams too. Here you can see them, again with skin and such missing.

What have I done more then? Well it's really hard to keep from the more interesting parts of the army. I'm talking officers here. I have one squad quite finished - the plasmacrazy JO, I have another started but I still have not decided which way he should go. I have some very nice Death Corps legs that really screams Close Combat and the Lt with his powersword seems to be just the officer to accept that as a mision in life.
My first pic will be of the Plasma guy(s)

They need one more, but I'm a bit uncertain on wheteher it should be a medic, a voxcaster or just another Plasmaperson. I think the Plasma looks hot, but then I'll need another Mordian. Hmmm....desicions.

The next JO out is the CC-one. Here he gets to pose with my WH-priest and some random guys. The Priest is probably the weediest imperial preacher since Bob Marley, he and his bunch turned up in turn FIVE the last game I played. Hereby they wrecked any chance I might have had to pull of at least a draw, or a not so humiliating loss.
I like his paint though:)

BUt none of these battleworn evil Diehards are the one in charge, oh no. My "General" is of another nature, he'll be hiding with his mortar and mastervox far from anything that even seems remotely dangerous. When my army grows he will be having a complete staff around him but untill then his two trusted servitors will have to fill out as guardsmen, and the mortar+ mastervox are only in a very sketchy state.

I have played one game with only those my painted models, and that could have been very interesting, but there were a few distractions and my opponent weren't going for the best sportsman award I tell you.
She turned up to the game with a possessed Plasmacannon armed Dread, a unit of Rubric terminators, one Flamer of Tzeentch, two units of Chaos Hounds and a unit of screamers.
We were fighting about the right to live in the "painted house", but before her first turn had ended her mother said we needed to clear the table in order to have lunch:(

Just as good I reckon, I would never have been allowed inside the doors of the "painted House" if the game had lasted for six turns. In fact I lost three men in my own shooting phase, she luaghed at me. Saying things like "That's what happends when you play the crappy ones".
But I'll teach her one day...revenge will be mine.

#15 ·
God bless you. Also, your daughter shouldn't be using the word 'crappy' at her age...

How come everyone is going much, much faster than me?
Argh!

-t.

#17 · (Edited by Moderator)
don't worry, T, we all know everyone else has no job here anyways. they are just here to serve every one of our whims and needs. good job, and Very Nice conversions and paint.

Please do not, advertise your own blogs on someone else's unless it has some purpose in helping the thread. - KU

#16 · (Edited)
Haha your daughter is adorable, when I grow older I hope I have kids like that :D

On a more WarHammer related note, I've always liked those missile launcher teams and your painting of them is pretty sweet (probably my personal favourite of this post at least) Also, that priest looks great, and chance we could get a close-up/back shot?

#18 ·
Dear diary,
today I sawed the head of my commander. It was quite hard piece of work. I also tore apart the sniper I sculpted yesterday, there is no other way to start a good evening.
Most of my night has been spent holding pieces really close together saying "Hmmm..." I have also painted some.
Hopefully I'll finish my Commander (I know it's not his title but bear with me until I decide on something noble yet "I've been through hell and I'll go back there tomorrow"-ish.
Oh, and be prepared for a suprise when you see him, I don't think I've seen anything like him before;)
Thanks for the comments guys, they mean a lot.

#19 ·
Ok, this will lose some of it's impact due to my inability to get a good pic. One day I will change, most probably tomorrow is the day I'll become the new improved me. Me.2 or something.
Anyhow this will be the colonel in charge of my army, I will as always remind you he and his "guardsmen" are still WIP/PIP so there is no real need to go like "maybe he should have arms" or "base him" and such. He will be both based and armed in time:)

I have decided to take the edge of the WWII german look from my army by having either an all blac... afroterran(?) darkskinned army or (this is where I'm at now) have the Colonel and the Stormtrooper sarge darkskinned.
The Sarge I know will be dark, since I've somewhere seen that model painted like that and it looks awsome. To keep with the Death corps-inspired theme though, he'll have a skull tatoo covering his face, but the rest of his skin will be dark.
Even if it's hard for you to see on this dirty excuse of a mini-pic the face has been torn apart by an explosion or so long ago and he has been mended with some mechanical devices. Hitech stuff... like enhancments and such? It also makes him look far more twisted.
He is based on ideas stolen from all over the place, the Commissar Prittstift has for avatar, one of the Death Corps illustrations in Chapter Approved 2003 and the coolest movieman since Clint Eastwood - Lawrence Fishburn.
He'll get a cloak and a small table with maps and hightech gizmos, some servoskulls and a mastervox servitor too. soon... me-time, so in the rest of the world that will be like soon-ish. or even later. If you are deadhard on details you might want to say in a not to distant future.
I'll get back to the modelling now.

#20 ·
That looks awesome buddy.
Where's the body from, it looks like an old Valhallan, but as they're OOP I can't really tell...?
Ditto on the head as well, I'm all full of questions today :yes:

Ace work so far mate :)

-t.

#21 ·
looks like they're comming along realy welll. good coheriant color scheme and some realy spiffy looking conversions.

though that blue skinned sage looks like a non sexy Twi'lek :tongue:

#22 ·
Non sexy you say?:O That's how I like them, overaged, overweight and blue in their faces. Taste may vary though...
I didn't get much done yesterday. I started on the robe for the Colonel, stripped a Bassie and then my son woke up and wouldn't calm down until I went to bed. Singing lullabies is a twoway thing. The longer you sing the more tired you get.
I can hear him moan in the bedroom right now, but I hope he'll fall to sleep soon so I can continue.

The body of the Colonel is indeed the old Valhallan special HQ guy Chenkov or something. He has huge feet I tell you, huuuge. The head am I rather proud of I must say.
It's nearly all sculpted or at least very converted.
It used to be one of the heads from the empire militia (WHFB) the one with the big helmet- a hat-like looking thing. I started by cutting of the face, then trimmed his lip a bit -it was nearly the size of Chenkovs feet. I then buit the back of the head and the damaged right side. There are also some stylish thingies on his back-head you'll get to see it once he is finished.
Right about when I learn to take good pics.

#24 · (Edited)
Ha ha! Finally something that works slower than I do (and even you -t ;) ) LO! When the pics are up they are outdated due to the slow loading time and all the hazzle.
I have not done so much, my son has been sleeping very lightly the last week and we've become quite close for the last weeks so I'm the only one allowed to sing lullabies for him:)
I've had some spare time though and I spent it all on something utterly useless. I've always wanted an enclosed Basilisk. I know it's not a good upgrade pointswise but as good Ash said -Upgrade away it's characterbuilding. I also think that an army where everybody is using rebreathers really should have enclosed tanks, it makes sense.

My funds are quite limited though (those metal models are expensive even on Ebay:( ) so no FW-fancyness for me.
I did however have some plasticard in my drawer, I got it from a signmaker a while back) so I decided to try and use it. It's lovely though very thick. So I've been forced to use some cardboard too... Hope it survives painting.
There will be some more small stuff added before I paint, but most of it is on now.

#27 ·
I have now been seriously bitten by the "make your own vehicle"-bug. Man those big things are fun to build. I have finished my Bassie (or am very close to finish it) and I've started on both a Salamander, though I know it might not be the best of vehicles, and a "counts as" Chimera, or something.
It'll become a small flyer for something like a vet-squad. It's based upon an Ork vehicle, a buggy I think, and the troopers will each have his own little halfcovering coffin on the outside. It'll be used either like the Chimera or maybe if it turns out fly-ish enough, a Valkyria.
Now all of this remains to bee seen though.
I'll get some pics up when one might have a chance to see what the finished result might look like.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.