Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
Ok, couple of firsts here:
It's my first time posting an image of any kind in any thread ever. It's also my first painted necron model, a test model for the rest of the crew, and an upcoming entry in the "Joe Nobody" contest. It's also a WIP, with nothing but the base coats on for now.
So please, be gentle
As you can see, it's a major WIP, no detail yet. Just a Boltgun Metal coat on the body, Dark Angels Green on the cell, Chaos Black on the eye sockets, chest plate and crystal, and Dark Flesh on the gravel. The gun was done with a 50/50 mix of Boltgun Metal and Chaos Black. Sorry for the crappy pic. The final one will look much better. I shot it late at night, after I was done painting and didn't wanna set up anything that would make for a better photo.
Yes, the cable is unpainted, and will be covered with snot green later, and yes, the model was primed, but I use a clearcoat primer (thanks, Slorak!), so the cable LOOKS unprimed.
1) Body and gun to get a light black ink wash to bring out detail.
2) Snot Green paint/highlights on eyes, cable, Gauss cell.
3) 50/50 Dark Flesh/Bleached Bone to paint large "rocks" and highlight all gravel.
4) 50/50 Chaos Black/Scab Red to highlight the crystal, then highlight up to pure Scab Red, maybe a little Blood Red thrown in to make it "pop."
5) Heavy Chestnut/Green Ink washes on the body to "age" it.
Good so far, but I hope you'll excuse me if I don't dig the fact that it's another silver 'Crons army. At least you're doing those chestnut and green ink washes. Can't wait to see what those look like. Anyway, sorry for the negativity and keep up the good work!
I toyed with the idea of mixing and matching colors, but decided that was too much work. I have multiple fragmented armies I'm working on, and wanted SOMETHING to be finished and painted up to 1,000 points at least, which means quick-and-dirty, so if they look "vanilla," all I can say is: They're done!
I didn't like the "ceramoid" versions, as I think they should look metallic in some way. The "gold" version I saw in the codex looks way too "C-3PO" for me, too, so silver base it is
What a difference brown ink can make! For that matter, what a difference the right light bulb will make! See the below pics to see what I mean:
As you can see, my picture-taking ability is getting better, and the ink wash is adding that "rusty" quality quite nicely. Next step is to mix some brown and green inks together and go over it again. Coming along well!
C&C welcome, please! I could use the moral support :cry:
I like it, the ink really goes well with the metal, it brings a whole new level of richness and "life" to it.
There are parts though wheer the ink feels a bit like the wrong medium to get to where you want (or more like where I assume you want ). I'm thinking about places like the kneejoints. Those areas where the shadow/darnkess do not need to be shiny.
Why not try to use a wash there? If you take some dark brown and very much water. The mixture should be a "see-through"-liquid, and paint or more apply, this to the joints, then before it dries add some small amount of black in the wash and apply that too in the still wet wash. This will give you a dark, used shade - making the depth even more obvious.
It has always worked fine for me to, when painting metal, use at least two different metals. On your Necron I think it would be great if the armour remained the colour you have now, the bones going darker, say copper, and pistons (on any model) should always be very bright like mithril silver.
They need to be in mint condition for a machine to work.
Take a look at a tractor or whatever piece of heavy machinery. Most of it is covered in mud and rust but the pistons are always nice and shiny, maybe with some oil and dirt at the bottom.
Regarding the joints, I originally had done a black ink wash that was SUPPOSED to accomplish that (crap pix, so I didn't post). It didn't work well at all, and I suspect my ink was a bit TOO thin. Figured the brown might make up for it. Bah.
Next step is supposed to be a combination brown/green ink wash, but maybe I'll go green/black. Dunno. Maybe two washes, but I don't have a ton of time.
As for different metallics, the only metallics I have right now are: boltgun, chainmail, mithril silver, brazen brass, burnished gold and shining gold. I see what you're saying, but I've seen amateur painters (which I am) taking the approach you suggested, and it doesn't always look right. I'm content with keeping the metal uniform, and using washes to try to tone various parts.
But then, I'm learning, and maybe I'll change my mind yet again Overall, I'm pleased with the results so far. I'll be doing a chainmail extreme highlight at the end, after the last washes. I think the highlight on the base was a wee bit too bright. Maybe next time I'll use more dark flesh in the highlight. Ah, well.
Time for an update (hooray!)
I've finished another 10 warriors, and already primed my scarabs. They will be done quickly, and I think the project's picking up speed now.
I'm pleased with the results, and already know what to do different next time. This is turning out to be quite the learning experience. More to come in about a week, I think. I paint s-l-o-w... :yes:
C&C welcome, as before.
Wow... a necro-post on my necron thread. Seems I'll just HAVE to post pics of the finished works. Just gotta take some :C