Warhammer 40k Dark Heresy - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Warhammer 40k Dark Heresy

hello everybody, i was just in a hobby store and came across a book called dark heresy.

Turns out dark heresy is a 40k rpg. now ive been playing D&D forever now and always thought of how cool it would be to play a 40k version of that. i hadnt even heard of dark heresy and was wondering it anyone has played it or has any opinions of it, im just not sure if its as good quality as D&D or if its a "broken" game system.

so let me know what you think of dark heresy, and how it stacks up against some other more reputable rpg pen and paper games.

thanks in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    85 (x4)

Try the forum search engine... we've talked about Dark Heresy more than once before.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    254 (x8)

Just moved this to the RPG section.

As for the topic, I can't say much about it as I haven't managed to get my hands on a copy of the core book yet. But it does look to be okay from what I've heard. Better than the WFB one I've been told.
    Want to chat? You can normally find me in the LO CHAT!
    LO CHAT! JOIN US NOW AND BECOME A GOD OF BACON.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Dark Heresy rpg is very much like Inquisitor, just instead of the players building a warband. They play a single char, over all it's a good steady system. And soon I hope to begin my own campaign, mabye two or three if all goes well.
    I'll be damned before the soldiers of the Emperor are just left to rot!
    Last words of Colonel Densit from the Rahaxin 19th

"DISS NOT THE EMPEROR'S POINTED STICK, HERETIC!"

If it doesn't work with the Emperor. Then it's been officially Karmooned!!!

BEWARE THE POWER OF THE LIGHT-BRIGHT!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x2)

I just chanced across 'The Inquisitors Handbook' and 'Purge the Unclean' in the local gaming store - two supplements for Dark heresy. The first is an expansion of the basic rules, equipment and advice for playing an inquisitor's mook, particularly in the Calixis Sector. The second is a set of three adventures in the sector, which seems to have stats for some Dark Eldar as well...

I haven' had a chance to read them properly yet, but their production is as high quality as the main rulebook (although softcover, not hardcover).

Despite the rumours earlier this year that this RPG line was going to be killed, these books show that Black Industries is trying really hard to keep it alive, and good on 'em.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

I can only recommend everyone to take a look at this RPG. It perfectly catches the setting's grim background, yet maintains the subtle irony and black humor that has always been one of Warhammer's trademarks. The crit-tables ("the severed head flies through the air, landing 1D10 meters away") or the descriptions about the effects of loss of limbs ("losing both arms is just as bad, plus it's a bit difficult to reach those hard-to-clean spots") are absolutely hilarious.

The system basics itself are really easy to learn and offer a lot of flexibility to customize the fighting style of one's own character. The chosen background as an inquisitorial warband also offers the unique option to unite some of the Imperium's most interesting character types - who otherwise wouldn't fight alongside each other - into one group, plus they allow for a lot of liberties in terms of style and movement in the otherwise very restricting world of the 41st millennium.

Including the Inquisitor's Handbook supplement, the available class options are:
    Adept, Arbitrator, Assassin, Cleric, Guardsman, Imperial Psyker, Scum, Sororita, Tech-Priest
    Each class is further split into 2-3 career paths, like Officer/Stormtrooper/Sniper for the Guardsman or Dialogous/Hospitaller/Militant for the Adepta Sororitas.

Sample Character:
    Dark Heresy » Taleera 'Raven' Nephran

Combat is fierce, dirty and dangerous. Characters can easily be crippled or killed from an unlucky hit of even the most standard weapon, so using cover and defensive abilities is highly recommended. Psykers are just as powerful as they are a threat to their own allies, like it should be. Aside from this, the rules also allow for a lot of other options to solve a mission, ranging from harmless inquiry to manipulation or even intimidation and interrogation.

The community over at the new developer's site (Fantasy Flight Games) is highly active and dedicated, plus it has been confirmed that FFG will not only do reprints of the now sold-out books, but also continue the line, so Dark Heresy's future seems to be secured.
    Several games of Dark Heresy are also played via IRC or some special online-P&P software, so you do not even have to have real people close to you in order to enjoy the game. I play in an IRC-based Dark Heresy group myself, and I'm certainly having fun.
    "Do you want your heretic rare, medium or well done, Lord Inquisitor?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i actually have the Core Rule-book and i think that this is a great game. like everyone else said, it is funny and easy to play (in my opinion, after playing DnD for 3 years), and i recommend it to people who like to play the Table top game, because you can create your own character using the miniatures and bits most people have in their boxes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have all the books out at this time and have been running a group from our regular 40k players at the store we play at. They game is very solid with a lot of options and all aspects of players enjoy the game with no signs of it getting old even now 3 months later.

+ Reply to Thread