How Do You Play? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Simple question, really.

How do you all play D&D?

For my group, we just go to the other's house and use models to represent everything - usually WHFB models we just have lying around. However, it's incredibly hard to get a roleplaying element in with a bunch of friends when we're just so relaxed and all. Not too serious about the RP elements.

How do all of you play? And how do you get the neat RP elements that my group lacks every time?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    208 (x5)

I don't know how old you are but we drink beer/wine/whatever while we play. Loosens everyone up and has them doing funny voices and charging crazily into battle!

We only play at night too, creates a better atmsophere I reckon. Night is the best time for story-telling. My group likes a good mix of roleplaying and violence.

The PCs have miniatures the players have bought, but for bad guys we just use 40k figs or little things lying aorund that approximate the monster in size/shape.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    108 (x4)

We usually play at a friend of mines apartment on sundays, with serious hangovers.

We don´t take the RP too seriously either, we are more munchkin-like, stealing, betraying and stabbing each other just as much as the monsters, if not more. 2/3 of the characters I get killed are more or less killed by other party-members. But I can live with that, since it goes the other way around too.... he he :shifty: The most annoying thing is that we use most of our time to argue over the rules, which is why I don´t really play d&d anymore. But if any of you guys live in or close to Copenhagen, and need another player (I´ll be nice, I promise), please contact me

EDIT: spelling

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

208 (x5)

Originally posted by Farseer Sareld@Feb 28 2005, 10:36
    We usually play at a friend of mines apartment on sundays, with serious hangovers.

We don´t take the RP too seriously either, we are more munchkin-like, stealing, betraying and stabbing each other just as much as the monsters, if not more.
    [snapback]340015[/snapback]
    Same, we play I guess a more Conan style heroic fantasy, our characters are all thieves/mercenaries/pirates with no honour. It's been about two years since anyone has played a cleric or mage! All Rogues and warriors in our game.

Saving villages from dragons just because you are a hero is so cheesy. We want GOLD dammit!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

108 (x4)

Gold and glory seems to go hand in hand with us, however being rich will get you stabbed sooner or later, unless you are careful.

I really like magic, in fact, all of my characters can cast spells due to some multi- or prestige-class. Magic is probably the most overlooked asset in the entire game. If used correct, magic is ALWAYS the best solution to any problem :closedeyes:

EDIT: spelling :wacko:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

208 (x5)

I like magic too, but I am more often than not DM so I don't get to use my characters much. They are not really part of the regular party, just one-offs who are sort of like NPC's. I like sorcerors combined with rogues or warriors.

The rest of my players aren't interested in using magic, only in fighting it. They want to heroically slaughter evil magicians with their cold steel.

Man, they quote Conan movies non-stop. Nearly every evil wizard ends up with the party yelling "enough talk!" in his face and throwing axes/daggers at his head.

Good fun tho (Y)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah my group is predominantly munchkin based, we want your gold and all your magic items then we'll help you. i seem to be the designated barbarian in the party and most encounters with strangers with magical abilities it's guaranteed ill try and hack his head off.
    Wir Werden Vorherrschen!

"I cast Lvl. 3 Eroticism. You turn into a real beautiful woman."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x4)

We all gather at my place, whether I'm DMing or not. We still play without figs though, and just map it all out on my whiteboard.
    The iron crowned is getting closer,
    Swings his hammer down on him,
    Like a thunderstorm he's crushing,
    Down the Noldor's proudest king.

Under my foot, so hopeless it seems.
    You've troubled my day, now feel the pain.
    - Blind Guardian

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Originally posted by Grimbog Elf Ater@Feb 28 2005, 18:44
    We all gather at my place, whether I'm DMing or not. We still play without figs though, and just map it all out on my whiteboard.
    [snapback]340871[/snapback]
    We used to use a white board, too. Blue shapes are PC's, red ones are enemies and NPC's, and then we'd draw in the "buildings." We sort of evolved into using miniatures.

Though, we still can't seem to get the RP element. I used to roleplay online (no D&D or game thing, just RP) on MSN Chat before it became a paysite, so I enjoy roleplaying. My friends, however, most of them have never RPed and it doesn't seem natural when we try and do so while playing D&D. I know, though, that it could be so much more fun than it is now. Any suggestions?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

108 (x4)

If you mean any suggestions as to how you can make your players roleplay more? Well, the obivous thing would be to limit the fights to a minimum, or simply make it impossible for them to just solve things with their swords. Perhaps you could hide the enemy, and let them roleplay some investigation in order to locate him, and then have a climatic battle where the snaeky villian gets chopped up in the end of the adventure, or even make the PC take him alive and place him before a judge (requires hard-to-come-by evidence, off cause ). I have tried to make investigation adventures once or twice, buy the players usualy just start to chop up stuff and random people after an hour of play without some kind of monster, and that usually ruins my adventure plan. To some people, finding a doppelganger is just a matter of killing everyone in sight, untill one of the bodies revert to its original form.. :glare:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast