A Few Rules For New RP's - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A Few Rules For New RP's

Originally Posted by Farseer Sareld
    I quit "Drifting Through Space" because it got carried away. We started out by shooting a few monsters, and things went fine, but then people started to throw their own monsters in, and the whole thing just went crazy.

We need a set of actual guidelines to prevent that. I would like to suggest a few:

A) You start by choosing a character and selecting your equipment. Stick with that.
    - Suddenly pulling a shiny new heavy weapon out of your back pocket is not pair play. If you want new eqiupment, PM your DM and ask if it is ok, and he might let you stumble across a dead body holding on to the equipment you need.

Post your characters total point value.
    - This will give the other players whomight not know your army some idea of how powerful the other players in the group is, which might be important for new players that don´t know wether or not the character they make up is appropriate. As in all rpgs, keeping characters equally powerful is important for the gameplay. I have seen rpgs before, where the two first guys makebelow 15 point characters, and the third player enters play with a 25 stared general in terminator armor.. not fun.

C) Don´t #"Q%¤! poste your actions AND the result in the same post.
    - If I wan´t to shoot someone, I will post how I take aim and squeeze the trigger ect, NOT how the guys brains splatter all over the wall behind him. A character cannot kill another character, only the DM and the characters own player can do that, and by posting that someone else (or an npc) die, you will ruin the game, plus thats the kind of things that makes rpgs run off the track. The same rule should count if you pull a lever, kick someones dog, or scratch your butt. You control your characters ACTIONS, but the Dm controls the OUTCOME of them.

D) The DM introduces new things.
    - If you are bored, don´t poste that the red terrow and seven carnifexes are coming out of nowhere just to see what happens, that is lame. If you feel like introducing something, PM the DM and ask for permission.

I know that I have broken several of those rules myself, but if we agree with them I shall never do it again. What do you think?

PS: I am very sorry about my english, but I am kind of in a hurry and I do not have time to use a dictionary :-P
    I think this pretty much lays down a good set of rules for EVERYONE to follow when starting new RP's, lets try follow them shall we?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

That's a good set of rules, indeed. *thumbs up!*

However, I think that rule C should be re-written, adding a "depending on the situation" to it. Under some circumstances it would surely not be a bad thing to describe both an action and it's result IF you stay within the borders of realism and fair-play. For example, when there are two dozen cultists approaching and the battle already broke out, why not describe how you fire your weapon AND how your bolter-shots impact on one or two of them? This would keep a game much more fluid, epic and story-like, since you can put a lot more into one post - rather than every player writing just about one or two sentences. As long as you do neither act unrealistic or cheesy (for example if you "steal" the other players all enemies before they can react) nor against the GMs wishes (though a clever GM may easily adapt to such an event), everything will go very well.

At least, this is the experience I made while participating in a forum-based 40k RPG a couple of months ago. If you want I can translate and copy some postings from it (the mission includes an Inquisitor with a Sororitas retinue and an inducted IG platoon against Nurgle cultists) to give you an example how I mean it.
    "Do you want your heretic rare, medium or well done, Lord Inquisitor?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lynata
    why not describe how you fire your weapon AND how your bolter-shots impact on one or two of them?
    Yes that would be acceptable but then it would be up to the other player who you're firing at to decide whether they take a wound or whether it just bounces harmlessly off their armour....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

Oh - of course.

I just thought about fighting NPC-enemies when writing that. =)
    "Do you want your heretic rare, medium or well done, Lord Inquisitor?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lynata
    Oh - of course.

I just thought about fighting NPC-enemies when writing that. =)
    Well yes in that case you could say whether they die or not when you shoot them because a GM can always make plenty more enemy NPC's appear from anywhere if he so chooses.........

The Orange Grey Knight MiketehFox's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    196 (x8)

Does this mean that The RPs will live again???

Mike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MiketehFox
    Does this mean that The RPs will live again???

Mike
    Hopefully yes, if people can follow these rules it'll make new RP's better structured...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i would sudgest one rule to this splenderfull rule book(im so happy i didnt have to do this my self!) the last rule should be to wait for other peoples reply so somebody doesnt get WAAAAY behind the others.. im Patriach.. goodnight..

http://www.rivalspecies.com/ this rocks
    [omg deviant art account: http://www.deviantart.com/]
    [theres a space hulk based comic on my deviantart]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Absolutely positvely.

I can't believe even I didn't remeber that rule.

Patriarch you're a genius!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    108 (x4)

If you wan´t an example of how things go when the C rule is broken, look at Ghosts "will you survive???" rpg. Lord Yssaron kind of ended it all in two posts, which is a shame, because it was running real sweet until now.

Btw, can we get a "rulebook" pinned? That would be nice..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast