New to RPGs - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to RPGs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New to RPGs

Ok so I have never played a pen and paper RPG before. I am looking at starting as it seems cool. I always see guys playing as I do my various miniature games. So my question is, what does a typical RPG session consist of? I have no idea what goes on besides much like any other game you roll dice, add stats vs, some target numer...etc. If someone can give me a good handholding walkthrough i would be grateful. Thanks in advance,

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

In a cave underneath the great mountains gaurding a treassure you'll never find
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x3)

That really depends on what kind of pen and paper game you are up to play. Tell me so and I will try to help you
    Dragons do flame.... but only when they are upset or they want to

According to new signature rules my hydra (the only reason for it to be here was to please Caluin) have been removed. But still dragons pwnz hydras anytime

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well i am planning on startinh iron kingdoms, but if not that then anything that uses the d&d 3.5 or d20 ruleset. thanks for the reply by the way

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x3)

I don't know anything of ion kingdoms, but D&D is the most common starters game. It is easy, kind of midless when you got the point of it. The focus is on the stats and the dices you roll, but can be fun to play.

If you go for D&D I would recommend Forgotten Realms, it is world who actually works well and give some changes for roleplaying, and many have already read the stories of the world and therefor know some of the world

According to new signature rules my hydra (the only reason for it to be here was to please Caluin) have been removed. But still dragons pwnz hydras anytime

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x1)

How the session is depends greatly on the group you're with...

Usualy when my group plays, we all have to talk like our characters and sometimes show what we're doing in-game. A campaign can involve quite a lot of different experiences. If everyone is up for really getting into the game it can be a lot of fun. When we game, we actually feel fear, happyness etc.
    Apart from that, when you get used to the game, you hardly need to "think" about the numbers all the time... You will start remembering most of them by heart, but off course keep the character sheet for dice rolls, when you forget your stats.

I really like D&D, but I feel that the d20 system is a bit flawed. These things are for later consideration though, and I agree with Arakiaz, that D&D is good for beginning. (and for continuing )
    I claim the title of "mistress of the vindictive"

=]Front in favour of Moderation of the Harshest kind[=

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Gerbrith
    How the session is depends greatly on the group you're with...

Usualy when my group plays, we all have to talk like our characters and sometimes show what we're doing in-game. A campaign can involve quite a lot of different experiences. If everyone is up for really getting into the game it can be a lot of fun. When we game, we actually feel fear, happyness etc.
    Apart from that, when you get used to the game, you hardly need to "think" about the numbers all the time... You will start remembering most of them by heart, but off course keep the character sheet for dice rolls, when you forget your stats.

I really like D&D, but I feel that the d20 system is a bit flawed. These things are for later consideration though, and I agree with Arakiaz, that D&D is good for beginning. (and for continuing )
    I agree with you Gerbrith

D&D is a good game and can be played for a long time, I like it sometimes, but then again it depends on the group you are playing with. I recently found out that my group actually can make D&D a ROLEplaying game but only with three players, our DM can't handle more than three. It is not that long ago my group started out a new campaign with new characters. This time all three players (we was only three at that session) decided to make characters with some real personality and stick to the personality. That session actually got my passion for D&D back

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x1)

I'm so glad to hear that you have discovered role-playing in D&D Arakiaz. I don't know how often I've tried to convice you and Sareld Farseer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x3)

Well it is just now my group actually got to work well (it toke it about 4 years) so now I'm enjoying the game, atleast most of the time.

I'm not to proud to admit when I'm wrong

But anyway good to see you back Gerbrith, I've kind of missed you and our discussions and his name is Farseer Sareld and he is kind of one-minded in this case
    Last edited by Arakiaz; October 19th, 2005 at 01:03.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hey there guys. yeah i am kind of stuck with the d&d way to go. as far as i know noone around here plays anything else. constraints of a mid sized town with a small town gaming population. i'd be interested in starting something else after i get the whole deal figured out. any suggestions?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Arakiaz
    But anyway good to see you back Gerbrith, I've kind of missed you and our discussions and his name is Farseer Sareld and he is kind of one-minded in this case
    Hey, I'm proud I remembered both components of the name... And I'm glad to be back myself

About alternate roleplaying systems, there are so many. I like the shadowrun system, since they have a much better way of creating a character, and they also use a highly efficient d6 system. I haven't had a chance to look at the newest edition yet though...
    Apart from that, I don't have any personal experience with any systems. Where are you from anyway? I know that in Norway, there are loads of norwegian systems that are supposed to be cool...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast