Librarium Online Forums banner

Help!!!

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  The_Ghost 
#1 ·
Hello again everybody, it's me again. Anyways one of my friends is planning on having a D&D game in a couple of weeks. I was hoping somebody could help me figure out the pros and cons of playing as either a human or dwarf. And the pros and cons of playing a barbarian or a ranger.

#2 ·
Ok - I've played a lot D&D in my days - not verry much 3.5 edition, but enough...and please pardon my English - it's a bit flawed this early in the morning.

The pros of Humans - get extra feat lvl 1, extra skillpoint per level - this is really handy if you want to gather some prerequirements for THAT feat you really want - the extra skillpoint may come really handy when playing fighter or sorcerer or some other class which is low on skillpoints.

The pros of Dwarves - get higher constitution which gives them extra hitpoints per level; you will bot notice much from the beginning, but after some levels you'll probably be way ahead of the other characters (if you play a class with sufficient hit dice). Dwarves also get bonus when fighting giants. Get bonuses to some saving throwes and skills...

The cons of Humans - not many, this is after all the standard class - and the largest population of the world.

The cons of Dwarves - Get a lowered charisma, dwarves are UGLY! Well - small AND ugly...

-------------------------------------------------------

The Barbarian - MUCH hitpoints, more skills than a fighter, not many special features - just barbarian RAGE (bonus to strength, con and HP while in a frenzy). Can be really fun to play though....oh - they can't write or read).

Ranger - Less hitpoints than fighters, as many as clerics and druids i think. Great class abilities - fighting with two weapons or firing rapid with bows. Can get a limited spellist after some levels and a animal companion. Great class if you want to be stealthy but not a Rogue...

--------------------------------------------------------

#3 ·
The human's extra feat and skills really can come in handy.

Dwarves also get special weapon proficiencies, and their movement is not hindered in heavy armor.

Barbarians get a lot of HP, decent skills per level, rage (which is fun), and a couple gimmick abilities like getting to move faster and never being flanked or flatfooted.

Rangers get a lot of skills per level (though not as many as rogues or scouts), decent HP, cool combat abilities like fighting with two weapons or bow mastery (you have to pick). Rangers also get a pet and a few spells after a couple levels.

Don't forget that you can multi class if you can't decide between the two. Go with ranger first for extra skills then take a level of barbarian for rage, then the rest is up to you (though I would go with ranger for every level after). You would have a dual-wielding attacker that can rage to boost his combat ability even further!

#4 ·
Dwarven barbarians are a great race/class combo.

Since rage duration is dependant on your CON the bonus from the Dwarf is excellent. Also, not having any resitriction to movement from Medium Armour (barabarians can't use heavy armour). The Dark vision means you fighter isn't blind at night and the dwarven bonus to resisting spells adds another +2 to your saves against spells.

All in all, dwarves make better barbarians than humans.

Humans on the other hand make better rangers. The bonus feat and extra skills suit a ranger well.

#5 ·
Skarsgard is compleatly correct. Also Human anything has been so done to death that I would recomend going with a dwarf on general principles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.