Mark of Malal - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mark of Malal

Tactical Avante-Gard <E!_Mance>'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    108 (x6)

Mark of Malal

Just to make things REALLY interesting for Chaos, the Yeppoonites thought up a Mark of Malal. It goes:
    Mark of Malal
    Fearless
    +1S
    Strike all Daemons on 3+ in assault
    Any Chaos Space Marine unit with access to marks or Icons may take the Mark/Icon of Malal for 25pts each.

Malal favoured
    Sons of Malice squad
    PTS21 WS4 BS4 S5 T4 W2 I4 A1 Ld6 Sv3+ Numbers5-20
    Champion = same but +1 A & Ld.
    Special rules: Mark of Malal, True Chaos, Breaking point.
    Equipment: Bolt pistol, Bolter, CCW, Power armour, Frag & Krak 'nades.
    Options:
    Up to 2 may replace their Bolter or Bolt pistol with a Plasma gun or Plasma pistol for 15pts
    If the squad numbers 10 or more, another 1 may upgade in the same way or:
    Take a Flamer instead of Bolter for +5pts
    Take a Meltagun instead of Bolter for +10pts
    Take a Heavy Bolter instead of Bolter for +15pts
    Take a Plasma Cannon instead of Bolter for +25pts
    1 in the squad may be upgraded to a Disorder Champion for +15pts
    Disorder Champion may replace Bolt pistol with Plasma pistol for 15pts
    Disorder Champion may take Meltabombs for 5pts
    Disorder Champion may replace CCW with Power weapon for 15pts or Power fist for 25pts.
    Disorder Champion may replace Bolter with Combi-bolter for 5pts.
    The squad may take a Chaos Rhino transport.

True Chaos
    : At the start of all player turns, each Sons of Malice squad must roll a D6, if a 1 is rolled, the squad does not move, but shoots at the nearest player unit or vehicle not gifted the Mark of Malal or a transport of same.

Breaking point: During any assault phase, the squad may remove 1 wound from each member. The squad now fights at S5 I5 for the rest of this Phase. If any members of the squad are killed by this power they strike with as many attacks as they would normally in the phase unless successfuly hit by any foe before making their own attacks... In which case they are removed automatically with no wounds or save rolls allowed.

Daemon Weapon of Malal
    DREADAXE
    1-handed
    Wounds on 4+ at worst
    No Invulnerable saves may be taken against Dreadaxe
    May force an Ld check on wearer (and lose a wound if check is failed, with NO saves allowed) to re-roll 1 hit in assault.

Eh? EH?

Last edited by <E!_Mance>; February 20th, 2008 at 01:53.
    Post your army lists in the ARMY LIST section! Not that hard!
    48W/7D/11L

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    415 (x8)

Why the incredibly low Leadership?

Is S5 justified?

Breaking point looks cool but incredibly complicated. Isn't there a way you can factor their self-consuming nature into an existing set of the rules? Like how the Black Templars move forward when they fail a Leadership test, or somesuch. Maybe every time a Son of Malice is reduced to 0 wounds, the opposing squad in close combat takes a wound that it must save for.

The Dreadaxe doesn't give the +1S that all Daemon Weapons give, and I think the wounds-on-4+ should be removed, mainly because ignoring invulnerable saves is good enough and a special item only needs one special thing.
    The above poster = Totally a member of the Fluff Masters Clan. Click here for fluff pwnage.

Come, sons of LO! Kneel before Poodle!

Mr_Wayne: "Some people believe that the World Eaters do not field any ranged weaponry. Those people often die at a distance."

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    946 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by ze_poodle View Post

The Dreadaxe doesn't give the +1S that all Daemon Weapons give, and I think the wounds-on-4+ should be removed, mainly because ignoring invulnerable saves is good enough and a special item only needs one special thing.
    Only the undivided daemon weapon confers a +1 S.

E!_Mance, do you plan on this daemon weapon costing the generic 40 points? At that price, it's incredibly overpowered. For one thing, the 'd6' daemon weapon has always been two-handed.

The Nurgle daemon weapon also has the mechanic that allows the wielder no worse than a 4+ to hit in c.c., and yet, it's two-handed, and doesn't come with any other special abilities. Just a point of reference.

On your last special ability that forces a leadership, I'm assuming this is for an enemy squad...yes? How is this in line with the 3rd edition dread axe? Just curious.

One of the reasons that the dread axe wasn't broken in 3rd edition was that it did not strip away regular saves, but only inv ones. This combination that your proposing just seems broken, especially for the point cost; and especially considering all the other mechanics that are woven into the weapon. If anything, I could probably see this weapon working, if you made it two-handed & removed all of its non-daemon weapon special abilities, save for the one that prevents inv saves from being used.

I'm not trying to be negative. It's just that the weapon really does seem overpowering. :happy:

Breaking Point: Typically, all wounds must be removed from a single model, before going on to the next model in the squad. It just seems that G.W. is moving away from exceptions, and your proposal would seem to be an exception.

EDIT: The Breaking Point mechanic seems a little harsh and would make these marines very costly against MEQs. Also, is the second part of the Break Point aspect that allows the unit to sacrifice a wound and increase stats woven into the first part, or can the unit elect to do the second part any time you choose? If it can be used independently, then you need to have it as a second 'Breaking Point' entry so as to prevent confusion.
    Last edited by Rabbit; November 24th, 2007 at 17:12.
    Spambot kill tally. . .337

Tactical Avante-Gard <E!_Mance>'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    108 (x6)

Ok, stuff taken in and edited.
    Now, explanations...
    I like how no-one objected to the possible 3 special weaponers & Champion... It seems to fit.
    And S5 was a gamble, I honestly didn't see it as a needed thing.
    Breaking point is re-qritten.
    DREADAXE!
    Yes, it costs 40pts, and is now amended. Keep in mind that it does what it did in 3rd-ed 'dex plus the 'I die a bit to hurt you more' thing.

Low Ld on a fearless squad simply means that any non-morale based Ld test is gonna suck for the unlucky ones. I thought it was a fitting thing.
    Post your army lists in the ARMY LIST section! Not that hard!
    48W/7D/11L

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    946 (x8)

The daemon weapon is still way too powerful. All chaos daemon weapons are now two-handed, and while there's no rule that I know of which mandates this, I'm wondering why yours isn't also two-handed. Fluff? Stats?

I still don't understand how the dread axe can have so many powers and yet cost only 40 points. Did you read my blip on the comparison of it to the Nurgle Daemon weapon (seriously asking, not mocking)? I'll just recap: The Nurgle daemon weapon also wounds on no worse than a 4+, and that's the only special mechanic it has, other than being a daemon weapon. Statwise, you have a Nurgle Daemon weapon with additional powers, and yet, both yours and Nurgle's cost 40 points. What's the reasoning behind giving your daemon weapon so much more for the same cost?

Here's a breakdown of the approximate point cost of the dread axe's powers beyond that of the daemon weapon of Nurgle:

) 1-handed::: (9 points. MoK confers does the same thing for 10 points. However, you would also have to purchase the generic c.c. weapon for 1 point, which is why the point cost is 9, rather than 10)

) No Invulnerable saves may be taken against Dreadaxe::: (this is the main thrust behind the dread axe, which becomes all the more puzzling that your're including the main mechanic of the Nurgle Daemon weapon- i.e., always wounds on a 4+. At any rate, this ability adds no less than 15 points to the cost (and that's being generous. 20 is probably more in line).

) May force an Ld check on wearer to re-roll 1 hit in assault (10 points. This virtually equates to spiky bits in 3rd edition, which costs 10 points)

The total price of your dread axe should be closer to 74 points.

I'm not trying to be an arse, but it's honestly difficult for me to see how your dread axe can cost so little for what it does :happy:
    Spambot kill tally. . .337

Formerly BrotherAzriel Horus Lupercal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    138 (x6)

can someone give me a lnk to a bit of malal fluff???
    PROUD TO BE IN THE BRITISH ARMY.
    ~~ Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death~~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    85 (x4)

Nice, <E!_Mance>, but slightly overpowered.
    And it needs some fluff. (coincidentally, I've got some bits hangng around, so if you like, I could post them).

Quote Originally Posted by BrotherAzriel View Post
    can someone give me a lnk to a bit of malal fluff???
    Not really. Barely any official fluff existed for him in the first place.

The Wikipedia entry is probably the best place to start:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malal

There's some fansites:
    http://www.freewebs.com/malal-lives/

Bootae had a sub-site called "Temple of Malal", but it's currently down. I dug up a copy in the Internet Archive, though:
    http://web.archive.org/web/200501172...alal/index.htm

PS. I wrote a Malal-based fanfic once. It's still hanging around, if you'd like to read it: http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...ad.php?t=15151 (Mark Of Malal)

+ Reply to Thread