Librarium Online Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutting Down Men

2K views 16 replies 15 participants last post by  Spike_alike 
#1 ·
im not sure if this has been covered by new assault rules as i haven't seen them but it is a bit obscure.

when chasing down a unit i believe that if your men can catch up, they should only be able to kill the same amount as the chasing unit has, an EC cutting down 30 orks by himself just isn't healthy!

#5 ·
I say that you still are locked in combat, but you move that distance. Also, instead of wiping them out like the original rules state, you get free hits on them. So your squad of nine space marines with bolters would get nine free hits, but then have to roll to wound, and then they get their armor save! Because now everyone is basically fearless in close combat! What is so good about having the ability to make someone run, like D. Visage, if they don't go anywhere???? Do you now how embarressing it is to have a ten man SM squad hold a Lord of Change for three to four rounds???? It sucks.

#6 ·
I like the idea of maybe only being able to cut down the same amount of minis that is in the winning unit, I do agree, one or two SM, being able to cut down 20 or so orks....it can sometimes be unreal.

Maybe if they caught up, instead of just cutting them down, they went back into combat again? With +1 to A for recharging?

Then its the case of "Well do I do after them or dont I?" Would make it more fair in a small sense.

#7 ·
I think that that's a good idea. My friend had a SMurf army, and used it against my others friend's Tau one. He assualted an enemy unit, and won, with 1 Marine left. The Tau then fell back, but the ONE SPACE MARINE carried out a sweeping advance, and annialated the squad. How does that make sense. I think that the amount of enemies killed should be equal to the amount of wounds your squad has. Because I didn't really think that 1 Marine would be able to murder 10 or so Tau. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

#9 ·
Well boys and girls once upon a time Warhammer (3rd edition) had rules for a free hack at fleeing enemies. I can't remember how this works at the moment and i don't have the book with me.

However a way to view the current rules is that the squad breaks up when they are run down-

some of its members are killed while the rest either keep on running or hide under the first rock they find.

#10 ·
I've had an imperial guard colonel (old codex) run down about 10 necrons. It was pretty sad.

I don't know if I like the new rules, but I think that they're somewhat better than the old ones.

#11 ·
well shooting and attacking people in the back while they arent trying to defend themselves(they are running away) is reasonably easy and is why 3 marines can overrun and cut down 15 orks. i really see nothing wrong with this rule as it makes people go into cc with some form of basic tatics.

#12 ·
Originally posted by Toastee@Mar 31 2004, 15:45
two SM, being able to cut down 20 or so orks
20 orks necvver run away, couse theres still 20 of em!

anyway. I think it should be that you can cut down 3 times the number of people it you sqaud, or one man for each atack that all the "cutters" have. 'couse as cacaroth said, its realy easy to kill fleaing foes.

#13 ·
In the new assault rules there is no sweeping advance, and it is not possible to annialate a fleeing squad by running it down. If a unit breaks from combat, it rolls fleeing distance, and if the pursuers can equal or surpass their score, they prevent the other unit's escape and combat continues. If a fleeing unit is assaulted, a leadership test is taken. If passed, combat ensues as normal, but if failed, the assaulted unit is scattered (not all cut down) and removed from play as casualties. They basically lose unit coherency, hide in rabbit holes, head for the hills etc.

#14 ·
I agree with the idea that the advancing unit counts as charging for all charge bonues purposes. After all, they're running after them, and right now there's no disadvantage for units failing their Ld test, and more importantly, there's no bonus for units that have some kind of Ld lowering ability in close combat.

#15 ·
On the whole issue about how some marines can take out 20 guys that trys to run away, the answer is, they can't. The thing is that the squad brakes up and scatters, sure, some of them are killed, but most of them survive to fight another day...

#16 ·
cough! Sorry, but I thought that was what I said?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.