Idea and rules for new Eldar Unit - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    49 (x1)

Idea and rules for new Eldar Unit

This one is rather based off a conversion I am almost done with, and I am very proud of. The fluff and rules started taking form while painting, which I'm very slow about, so I think they've been in the cooker long enough.

These rules are largely based off of an Autarch ( the rules I use normally )

Eldar Warseer

Description:
    The Eldar Warseer , is one who has moved followed the Path of the Warlock to it's farthest extents. Due to the Warlocks bond with the Aspects, they eventually attain command ranks within the military, but their sight is never trusted before the violence is imminent. In the past, the call of Khaine has led them to follow paths that gurantee bringing their Craftworld to war.

Beyond their status within the military, Warseer have pushed their ability to physically manifest their powers beyond that of any Eldar. Though their foresight nowhere near the power of a Farseers, their ability to rain destruction down upon an enemy is the greatest among Eldar.

WS: 5
    BS: 5
    S: 3
    T: 4
    W: 3
    I: 5
    A: 2
    Ld: 10
    Sv: 3+

Slot: HQ

Unit Type: Infantry

Wargear: Shuriken Pistol, Rune Armor or Force Shield ( 4+ Invulnerable Save), Close Combat Weapon

Special Rules:
    Independent Character, Fleet of Foot, Master Strategist, *Harness the Flame, Psychic Powers

Options:

Wargear:
    Runes of Warding: ( Rules and points as per Runes of Warding for Farseer. )

Wepaons (choose one):
    Power Sword: 10 points
    Witchblade: 10 points

The Warseer may choose one or more of the following Minor Warpcaster Powers:
    (No Psychic Test Needed, but still counts as a power used.)
    (Note: These powers are not automatic and must be declared in the Psychic Phase to use. )

Vision of Doom: ( Rules and points as per Banshee Mask for Autarch. )
    Warsight: ( Rules and points as per Mandiblasters for Autarch. )
    Enhance: ( Based on Points and rules as per Enhance for Warlock. )
    Embolden: ( Based on Points and rules as per Embolden for Warlock. )

The Warseer must choose one or more of the following powers:
    (Requires Psychic Test to use.)

Eldritch Storm: ( Rules and points as per Eldritch Storm for Farseer. Warseer does require LoS to target to use. )

Fire of Khaine: ( Rules and points as per Fusion Gun for Autarch. Used as a Psychic Power in Shooting Phase and requires LoS )

Destructor: ( Rules and points as per Destructor for Warlock, but Increase point cost by 5. )

Vengeance of Asuryan: ( Rules and points as per Reaper Launcher for Autarch, but Reduce cost by 5 points. Range reduced to 24". Used as a Psychic Power in Shooting Phase and requires LoS )

Wrath of Isha: ( Rules as per "Eye of Wrath" for Yriel, with mods. Uses small blast template. Any enemy touched are hit with Str 4 AP 5. Can use during own Assault Phase, in place of Warseer's regular CC attacks. Cost is 20 points. )

Blessing of Vaul: Declared in the Psychic Phase. All CC attacks made by the Warseer until the Start of his next turn have the Force Weapon ability. Note, if a non-power weapon is being used, then targets who are wounded may still make a regular Armor Save. Cost is 20 points.

Warseer Special Rules(*):

Harness the Flame:
    A Warseer's most dangerous triat ( to others and themselves ) is the ability to draw focused warp energy into themselves and release it suddenly in a rapid use of psychic powers. To them it is known as harnessing the "Fire of Asuryan". This power has been the downfall of many Warseers as channeling power so rapidly will take it's toll on the body. While Farseers bodies slowly crystallize over time, a Warseer's body is streaked with marks of rapid crystallization. Though usually appearing on the skin, cases have been seen of a Warseer's heart suddenly stilled as his chest cavity became and organs suddenly crystallized.

The Harness the Flame ability allows a Warseer to use more Pyschic powers in a phase than normal. Each power beyond the first causes a Str 4 hit against the Warseer. Roll to wound as normal, though no Saves of any kind are allowed against it ( As per Perils of the Warp ). No power may be used more than once a turn with Harness the Flame.

Any comments on it are quite welcome! If things seems off by quite a bit, please let me know. I only play Eldar, so it could probably use some points mods to it.

Last edited by darquewing; November 28th, 2007 at 22:09. Reason: Mods to Stats; added Blessing of Vaul Power; gets one or more Minor powers
    Arvan'drynn Craftworld - 15,000pts (deceased)
    Tau - 2,000 points (atomized while on patrol)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x2)

I like the idea in all honesty. A farseer with teeth.

The only thing that slowed me up was the Harness the Flame rule. I don't think it's strong enough. Either make the guy Toughness 3 (since even the most Close Combat oriented Aspects aren't toughness 4) or make the Hit str 6 like a normal perils of the warp. The ability to just go ape nuts on psychic powers is really powerful, and with only a 50/50 chance of wounding yourself, the drawbacks just aren't strong enough. He runs up to a unit of anything (lets say Gaunts) and hits himself with the extra attack ability. Then casts destructor followed by eldritch storm. He then assualts in to mop the rest up. Singlehandedly wiping out a 20 strong unit, with the worst case possibility of taking only 1 wound.

He needs some drawbacks, and the Harness just isn't enough.
    Nights Justice Space Marines
    Eldar Eth Kariel Craftworld
    Spear of Kurnous - High Elf Expeditionary Army

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    49 (x1)

Well, you have to remember that you can only use one shooting weapon or power as normal. Also, note that he has no type of save from Perils. So each major power use has a chance for Perils. Anything beyond what he can normally use has a chance for a Str 6 Perils and he must still endure the Str 4 hit as well. I was thinking of doing Str 4 for 1st power, and add +1 to the Str of the hit for each power beyond the first.

The toughness 4 represents their endurance against the the effects of the Warp Power more than anything. Without it, they would get insta-killed if hit by a Str 6 Perils.
    Last edited by darquewing; November 28th, 2007 at 14:40.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    415 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Djones9916 View Post
    The only thing that slowed me up was the Harness the Flame rule. I don't think it's strong enough. Either make the guy Toughness 3 (since even the most Close Combat oriented Aspects aren't toughness 4) or make the Hit str 6 like a normal perils of the warp. The ability to just go ape nuts on psychic powers is really powerful, and with only a 50/50 chance of wounding yourself, the drawbacks just aren't strong enough.
    Farseers used to have T4 to represent their bodies having metamorphosed into organic crystal. Elder Farseers become entirely crystalline in their old age, merging with the Infinity Circuit of a given Craftworld. Eldrad is the only one who has it now.

I think S4 (or a psychic power which increases strength) would appropriate, given this unit's "psyker with teeth" image. My only issue is that many of the psychic powers simply duplicate regular weapon effects, which seems a little unimaginative.

Other than that, drastically increase either his base points cost or the cost of his psychic powers, because being able to use multiple psychic powers is a thing seen only recently and only on the 250+ points super special characters, like Ahriman and Mephiston.

Maybe a minor teleportation power? There are all sorts of possibilities for aggressive Eldar psychic powers that you're skimming over with the "counts-as X" idiom.
    The above poster = Totally a member of the Fluff Masters Clan. Click here for fluff pwnage.

Come, sons of LO! Kneel before Poodle!

Mr_Wayne: "Some people believe that the World Eaters do not field any ranged weaponry. Those people often die at a distance."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    49 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by ze_poodle View Post
    My only issue is that many of the psychic powers simply duplicate regular weapon effects, which seems a little unimaginative.
    Well, this idea originally stemmed from an Autarch conversion I was doing, and in pick-up games the model was used with the Autarch rules, just pretending that weapons and Wargear beyond the Pistol and Pwer Sword were Minor Psychic Powers. Most people went along with this idea.

Other than that, drastically increase either his base points cost or the cost of his psychic powers, because being able to use multiple psychic powers is a thing seen only recently and only on the 250+ points super special characters, like Ahriman and Mephiston.
    His points have been raised some, and really, when you start stacking things onto him, his points go up very quickly. Farseers can use multiple psychic powers per turn at a base cost of 75 points.

I did take off the Spirit Stones as a Wargear option, so now to do the same at a higher point cost, he has a chance of wouding himself.

Maybe a minor teleportation power? There are all sorts of possibilities for aggressive Eldar psychic powers that you're skimming over with the "counts-as X" idiom.
    Again, the "counts as" was what it started out as, I only did a few mods to start, and wanted to get feedback on baser stats and points before playing around with it too much.

Changes thus far are:

Init went down to 5. Gives base stat line closer to an Exarch
    (Since he's a Warlock upgrade I thought that made some sense.)

Base Attacks to 2. He's a good combatant, but the powers and not the stats should make him great

No Spirit Stone option, so any powers beyond first means Harness the Flame may wound him. The Stones were nice, but felt out of place on him. His extra's SHOULD have consequences. So three powers a turn means he is very likely to get a hit against him.

Runes of Warding added as an option for Psychic Defence.

"Blessing of Vaul" power added into major powers list. let me know of any complaints for gripes with it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    59 (x1)

Thread Necromancy...

But I really like this idea. I would love to see some psychic powers that aren't weapon copies. I would love to see a 'gate' ability that lets you teleport (Like Veil of Darkness) or imagine teleporting a squad of fire dragons. Or make it really burly, and allow you to assault afterwards. I think the warseer eldritch storm should have a small blast template but +1 S, and -1 AP

I am working on a farseer that is hovering over the ground with psychic energy and "Counts As" a farseer on jetbike. But I might pillage your idea too. (My Ulthwe army likes its psychic powers)
    * "I'm Significant!" -screamed the dust speck
    * "Call me old fashioned, but an evil ascension to power just isn't the same without someone chanting faux Latin in the background."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    49 (x1)

Actually with the advent of Apocalypse, I've been giving thought to doing a Apoc datasheet for an Eldar Warseer. As people may be more likely to allow it in games.

Of course for Apoc, there would be a bump in points cost and the strength of psychic powers.

+ Reply to Thread