Young Vampire Rules - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    254 (x5)

Young Vampire Rules

Hey all, this is a thread about creating rules for recently turned Vampires. These are Vampires who are still too young to fight competently and have to hide in order to survive. Although stronger than a normal human, they are not as strong as the hero choices in the VC army book.
    So, what kind of stats, points, and rules would beift these noob (I hate this word, but what the heck) vamps?

My thoughts were maybe something like...

M-5
    WS-4
    BS-4
    S-4
    T-4
    W-2
    I-5
    A-2
    Ld-6
    Special Rules- Undead, Vampire (Not a wizard though)

Wargear
    Vampire is armed with a single close combat weapon.
    The Vampire may select up to one vampiric power OR magic item. It cannot exceed 25 points.

Total points- 30?

Suggestions, comments, ideas?

I am heading off to the Peace Corps. It is bery likely I will not be back. Good luck to all of you endeavors.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

I think the stats are fine, but the points are too low, I think. IT should be cheaper than a wight king as it can do less, but I think 50 or 60 points is more like it. And could it be a BSB?
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    254 (x5)

You're probably right, it should be a few more points. As far as being the BSB, I'd say no. I don't see too many Vampire Lords giving their personal war banner to some rookie.
    Basically what my intent with this is to help create a special scenario for my VC army. The very basic fluff for my Vampires is that they have split up to all corners of the world in search for as many stray Vampires as they can find. They will train, equip, and teach them to become stronger. Once that is finished, they send the vampires back to where they came from far more dangerous and cunning than before.
    The scenario I'm thinking of is trying to get to these new Vampires before the other army can kill them, or maybe a one off game where a number of people can make their own rookie vampire and everyone tries to excape a much larger Empire army to get out of town. Something like that.
    I am heading off to the Peace Corps. It is bery likely I will not be back. Good luck to all of you endeavors.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    470 (x8)

I like the idea of the scenario!

Should your young vampires also have the stupidity special rule, to sort of represent the fact they're still not in control of their powers?

Or maybe they can have an effects table
    1-2: Frenzy
    3-4: Normal
    5-6: Stupidity

(Although numbers can be adjusted as necessary)

As they get more 'battle experience' or however you want to operate this, the effects table disappears or at least fades away a bit.

I think David's post about the points cost is valid, but you seem to agree so I don't know why I'm pointing it out again...
    Rabbit; Our Tau community has the talent of figuring out how to turn a feather into a timebomb. Macgyver would be jealous.
    8people; Honey, why is my fluffwars story your shopping list?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    539 (x8)

Mh, not sure about the stupidity table, but i like the general idea of iniatite vampires. Like mannfred in 2 versions.

Didn't the old armybook have 3 versions of vampires? (weak, mid and strong) I haven't got the book on me so i can't check...
    Got a "good" rumour from a GW staffer? Forget about it, LO'ers know more than any random GW shop staffer.
    Voor alle nederlanders:
    The Dutch Legion
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

1283 (x8)

What about mounts? At least your basic nightmare, maybe?
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

254 (x5)

I was actually debating mounts myself. I am defiantely leaning towards no, and here's why. Out of all the non-arcane or magic based vampire powers and magic items 25 points or under, the only one that seeemd too strong is dread knight. It basically gives the vampire a a 2+ save, lance, and fast movement. It's just too much. If a vampire wants to go fast, they should get the talisman of lycni. If they want a 2+ save, get the flayed hauberk. If they want a good weapon, get a great weapon from the avatar of death set, or a cheap magic weapon. Fluffwise though, these vampires are surviving by being sneaky and hidden. Nighgtmares just aren't that sneaky. However, I'm all ears for a balanced way to include mounts.

As for the stupidity/reaction table, it could work in one of the two scenarios provided quite well. Here's some more details f what I was thinking...

Scenario 1- Tainted Survivors (Just a temporary name)

The town of (enter random name here) has not been heard from in weeks. Beleiving something may have happened, the opposing army comes to rescue (or pillage depending on what the opposing army is) the town nd to see what has happened. As they near the town, they see that they town is lifelss save for a few people wandering in a daze. Upon closer inspection they find that the survivors have been given the blood kiss, and that everyone else has been killed.
    On the other side of town, the Vampire army enjoys the last of the fresh blood the town has to offer. However, upon hearing that an enemy army has amassed on the other side, battle formations are set up. The recently turned vampires are still in the town. The Blood Kiss is given so rarely and the Vampires are loathe to lose their brothers and sisters so soon.
    meanwhile, the opposing army realizes that the enemy army will soon be coming to collect their newly turned brethren. They must slay these undead creatures in order to keep their enemy from obtatining these would be heroes of the night.

Basically, the battle occurs on maybe a sligthy wider table than normal. (No specified size as of yet). The goal is for the vampire player to bring a unit into contact with the new vampries, and to bring them back to their deployment zone. Once the new vampire is contacted, he/she becomes under control of the VC player.
    The goal of the opposing army is to kill these Vampires.

I would imagine that one new vampire for every 1,000 points of the armies is about right. Until the VC player gets to the Vampires, the new vampires wander around aimlessly for random distances and in random directions.

Scenario 2- Hunting Season (temporary name)

Recently, a large Vampire COutn was slain just outside the city by a much famed Witch Hunter. However, his legacy was not ended. Soon after, more reports of citizens drained of blood were occurring. He had spread his blasphemy to tohers in the town. Upon hearing this, the Witch Hunter has returned to end this once and for all.

This is a one-off game where every player selects a new vamprie using the rules above, and may choose up to 25 points in powers and wargear (or maybe just one item/power 25 points or under). Mounts may or may not be allowed.

The Vampires are then placed in a circle, a good 6" away from each other at least. Their goal is to make it out of the town alive (well, you know what I mean).

One player is is charge of a Witch Hunters army. (500 points per vampire perhaps?) Their goal is to slay every last vampire. One Captain must be chosen. He is the Witch Hunter. In addition to whatever equipment he has, he causes terror against the vampires and is immue to psychology from them.

The scenario should happen on a fairly large board with lots of buildings or other terrain features.

Here's the fun twist. The fewer Vampires tat survive, the greater the victory for those that do. For example, if all the vampires survive (unlikely, but possible), then it is only a minor victory. However, if your vampire is the only to survive, then you will have a massacre. New Vampires may attack each other. They may gang up on each other. Basically, they can do whatever they want!

Thoughts?

Tyranid Warrior Fanatic Phalanx's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x7)

They should probably only be 1 wound... I mean, Blood Knights are veteren vampires and they're only 1 wound a piece...
    40K armies: Tyranids (2001), Space Wolves (2008), Sisters of Battle (2011)
    Current Rep: 1337

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey just a thought for your vampire stats....
    Vampire.....Skaven Chieftain
    M-5...........M-5
    WS-4... .....WS-5
    BS-4..........BS-4
    S-4............S-4
    T-4............T-4
    W-2...........W-2
    I-5.............I-6
    A-2............A-3
    Ld-6...........LD-6

Skaven Chieftain is 45 points with hand weapon, just throwing this out there. More Inititive, more WS and More Attacks, doesn't have the Undead rule but has all the cheesy skaven rules

Hope this helps, your scenarios sound realy cool!
    Last edited by Vefador_the_cunning; April 21st, 2008 at 06:53.
    Vefador's Bloody fist
    W/L/D
    6/0/0

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    470 (x8)

I think you have the right idea excluding mounts from the options for your new vampires, certainly in the first scenario. The second... I don't know, it could be kind of handy to have a mount in that one, given that you're trying to get away!

But if they have mounts and a head start... might not be as much of a challenge.

I like the twist in the second scenario. Should lead to some suitable deviousness!

I know you said in your original entry that these new vampires weren't wizards, but do you think they should be in the second scenario?

Hang on, I'm thinking of the old rules where you could raise units - I just thought that could make things more interesting, although admittedly it would also get quite confusing.
    Rabbit; Our Tau community has the talent of figuring out how to turn a feather into a timebomb. Macgyver would be jealous.
    8people; Honey, why is my fluffwars story your shopping list?

+ Reply to Thread