Commissar Caiphas Cain - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    heretical thoughts? ShadowZora13's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    231 (x4)

Commissar Caiphas Cain

Just read the Caiphas Cain books, and decided to rey my hand at making some rules for him and his trusty sidekick Jurgen.

Commissar Caiphas Cain

Pts 140

WS 4
    BS 4
    S 3
    T 3
    W 3
    I 4
    A 3
    ld 9
    Sv 5+ 5++

Equipment

Laspistol, Chainsword, Honnorifica Imperialis

Special rules

It's for your own good!

-same as regular Commissars

Hero of the Imperium
    -same effect as summarary excecution, but do not remove the officer, as Cain is dedicated to befriending his men, and avoids the problems associated with excecution whenever possible. However, if called upon to make more than one morale check a turn, this autopass will not apply, as Cain is actually a coward, and will convince his squad to fall back for tactical reasons, or something similar.

The Ld bonus to squad leaders still applies as normal.

Luck
    -While Cain is always trying to find a way to stay out of trouble, trouble usually finds him. In the end though, he finds a way to escape relatively unharmed.Cain counts as having a 5+ inv save, the Medalion Crimson, and may reroll all failed saves. If Cain becomes a casualty, all squads 6" from where he fell gain the counter attack ability and +1 attack for the current or next CC phase, to represent their anger at the Hero of the Imperium falling.

Self interest
    -Cain doesn't think the Emperor is going to take the time to look after him personally, so he will try to find ways to save himself, and this usually involves putting his fellow troops in between him and the enemy.

Cain can only be attacked fully in CC if he is the only model in base to base contact with the enemy. If there is another friendly model touching the attacker, half of its attacks, rounding up, must be made to that model/unit instead of Cain.

For all other intents and purposes, Cain is an Independent Character.

Martial Prowess
    -Cain is a very skilled fighter, and because of this may reroll one attack a turn, as if his weapon was master crafted.

Jurgen, Commissar Cain's aide

Pts 50

WS 3
    BS 4
    S 3
    T 3
    W 1
    I 3
    A 2
    ld 8
    Sv 5+

Equipment

Meltagun, Laspistol, Frag and krak grenades

Special Rules

Fearless
    -Jurgen is fearless, and while he does not lead a squad, this ability lets him stay calm in the heat of battle.

Cain and any attached squad do not suffer any Ld modifiers from sp rules, being under 50% strength, or when regrouping.

Personal hygiene
    -Jurgen has very bad hygiene, and in combat, this is represent by all enemies in base to base with him suffering -1 WS, to a minimum of 1.

Blank
    -an extremely rare condition that makes Jurgen immune to all psychic attacks directed at him or the unit he is attached to. Any psyker 12" from him must pass a Ld check to do any actions against him or his squad.

Always prepared
    -any equipment that the squad Cain and Jurgen are attached to is given to Cain and Jurgen for free. Every member of the attached squad must have the item for it to be conferred. This includes carapace armor worn by storm troopers. To benefit from this, Cain and Jurgen must be attached to the unit a the start o the game and may not leave the unit durring the game.

Skilled driver
    -Jurgen is very skilled at driving very fast. To represent this, any vehicle Cain is embarked in will be driven by Jurgen, giving the vehicle the ability to move an extra d6", without affecting how it can shoot or unload passengers.

Ork Hunter
    -As a Valhallan, Jurgen has the preferred enemy trait against orks, like all guard from Valhalla.

Personal aide
    -Jurgen must always accompany Cain, and is treated as wargear for fighting purposes; does not take a transport spot (as he drives, see above), is removed if Cain is removed, as he will tend to Cain's injuries, and will not make Cain count as a unit if not attached to one, for purposes of Independent Character rules.

Cain's preferred transport, the Salamander

Pts-115

All stats are the same as a Scout salamander, but may take either a H. Flamer or Autocannon, for the same price. It is also equipped with a pintle mounted storm bolter, improved comms, and track guards for no extra cost. it may take any other upgrades from the IG codex at the specified costs, as Jurgen would be prepared for any needed alterations.

If chosen, Cain and Jurgen start the game in the Salamander, and may disembark and reembark per the normal rules for open topped transports, but no one else may, and the Salamander cannot do anything until they are back on board.

The Salamander may carry both Cain and Jurgen, and up to 2 other models, attached to Cain. This makes it good for a speedy getaway, or putting him with another independent character, like and Inquisitor (such as Amberly Vail).

Hope you like it. I'm still thinking about the points for them. It seems high compared to most IG characters, but at the same time they do have some good abilities... What do you think?

Last edited by ShadowZora13; April 27th, 2008 at 00:54.

"...lest we perish without ever recognizing our peril"
    -Inquisitor Hoth

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pretty awesome man.

Add some rules for Amberly Vail and her entourage, and you're set.

Formerly BrotherAzriel Horus Lupercal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    138 (x6)

humm, im not too sure, you acctualy spesify cain as a coward, if you really read into the book and think i rekon you will find he isnt as he makes himself look all the time.
    PROUD TO BE IN THE BRITISH ARMY.
    ~~ Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death~~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While I don't have anything better to suggest, I feel the points costs are too low. Their various abilities are useful and make them rather durable, although at 190 pts together it is close, in my opinion.

heretical thoughts? ShadowZora13's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    231 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by BrotherAzriel View Post
    humm, im not too sure, you acctualy spesify cain as a coward, if you really read into the book and think i rekon you will find he isnt as he makes himself look all the time.
    Even though he does usually make it through to the end, its usually to preserve his image. So no, he isn't a coward exactly, but I just worded it like that to get to the next part of the rule; that being that he can't do it more than once a turn, since he definitely shouldn't be fearless.

Yea cadian315, I was thinking he might be a bit cheap too... hard to say exactly, since there aren't a lot of guard characters, and the ones there are kinda cheap. might bump it to 210 for both, but then it just looks excessively expensive, even though thats only 20 pts more.

"...lest we perish without ever recognizing our peril"
    -Inquisitor Hoth

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have to say that I like it. I'm a huge fan of the books (and of the Flashman books upon which the Cain stories are based) and I think you've captured the essence of the characters here.

One suggestion I'd make is the extra 6" of movement on the Salamander could be a d6" of movement, as Jurgen does indeed drive fast, but there are still mechanical limitations on what vehicles can do. I think the points cost is reasonable, and I'm going to see if I can craft up a suitable model and use him with my Valhallan army.

Thanks for drafting these up!:party2:
    blood for the blood god - yay!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

I agree with the D 6 movement for jurgen that seems more reasonable

But the bad hygene is somthing i do not agree with, - 1 attacks against the entire squad? that is to powerful. Even though he may smell bad, their is no way that an Ork screaming WAGGGHH is even going to give a thought about it. I would personally remove the ability all together, but i guess add if you really want it then make it -1 Ws vs a single model in base contact.
    "Thank him who puts me loath to this revenge on you who wrong me not for him who wrongd"

+ Reply to Thread