Chaos Lord MK III - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    107 (x3)

Chaos Lord MK III

Okay, here is my 3rd attempt at making a chaos lord for my own army. Very brief fluff included, but this is mainly about the rules so...

Lord Nefarian Tyr
    Nefarian Tyr was a space marine of the Word Bearers legion during the Great Crusade. When the legion turned he readily accepted the ways of Chaos, and in particular knowledge of the minions of the chaos gods, the Daemons.
    When the Heresey ended, Tyr split from his parent Legion and went his own way, constantly on the search for knowledge and power granted by the daemons of chaos.
    In the 10000 years that has passed he has become an expert in daemonic lore and believes he has been blessed by the chaos gods to give him power of their minions like no mortal has had before. Wherever Tyr goes, hordes of daemons will not be far behind and with his own renegade company, The Nephilim (fluff for that coming later), Tyr has proven himself to be a chaos lord powerful enough to one day rival that of The Despoiler himself.

Blah.

WS 6
    BS 5
    S4
    T4
    W3
    I5
    A3
    LD10
    Sv2+

Equipment: Hellfire Flamer, Destiny, Terminator Armour, Daemonic Icon, Abyssal Shroud
    Special Rules: Independent Character, Fearless
    Hellfire Flamer: R:T, S5, AP3, Assault 1
    Destiny: Daemon weapon of slaanesh. Once per game he may re-roll the D6 to determine his number of attacks (fluff - as he has a lot of control over daemons he is able to stop the daemon within the weapon to strike him, up to a point)
    Abyssal Shroud: Immune to instant death (I don't know whether to make this a cloak or cape, or some fluff for him to be shrouded in some chaotic energy which deflects powerful blows - opinions?)
    Daemonic Icon: Counts as a personal icon but has a range of 12" when summoning lesser daemons.
    In addition, if any psyker within 12" rolls a 2 or a 12 for his psychic test, rather than having the psyker suffer a S6 wound, place D6 lesser daemons within 6" of the psyker instead.
    These may be placed in close combat immediately, but do not count as charging.
    These daemons count as deep striking for the purpose of the Mystics special rule, and any other rule which may be applied.
    The daemons may only attack the psyker, and once he is dead they will vanish. These daemons are worth no victory points if killed and cannot capture objectives.
    Note, for deep striking Terminators and Obliterators the range is 6" as normal.

In apocalypse games, the range of the Daemonic Icon rule is extended to 24", and any and all Daemons, whatever their source, may use Tyr as an Icon, and so may deep strike without scattering anywhere within 24" of him, even if they are on opposing sides.

----------------

I was thinking around 225 points.
    His special rule is fairly situational, and the rest of his equipment is fairly standard.
    Heres the breakdown
    Lord + Terminator Armour + Daemon Weapon + Doom Siren = 160
    Abyssal Shroud > Adamantine Mantle = 195
    Personal Icon + Special Rule > 20 = 215 (guess)
    Daemon Weapon special rule >10 = 225 (guess)

I haven't included Mark of Slaanesh as I haven't counted the bonus to I.

His equipment I'm fine with, I just don't know whether the Daemonic Icon rule is overpowered/underpriced.

I like the idea of, in apo games, a chaos force fighting eldar and suddenly up pops an Avatar right next to Tyr, or when fighting a pure Daemon army, the entire enemy army deep striking without scatter in assault range. That is chaotic.

C&C as always greatly appreciated.

Last edited by distortiondave; May 10th, 2008 at 15:18. Reason: Changed BS to 5.
    I can't say I've seen it all but I live for the things that keep me hollow.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

I was very, VERY drunk. thechaplain's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    136 (x3)

Nice job, man! He sounds like a really interesting guy, but equally grounded in reality (he's not the Emperors great grandson, etc.). I concur with your point cost and salute the idea of having extreme control over daemons - especially like the anti-psyker rule!

About the shroud - I would go for the kind of coruscating warp energy thing - from spending so much time consorting with warp-entities, or something! Or maybe - and this is just a thought - as he has such serious control over daemons, why not have a kind of revised "bodyguard" rule? Say, any daemon within 6" of him can switch places with him in close combat or something?

Either way - cool Lord!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    57 (x3)

I love the Daemon summon replaces perils of the warp lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    107 (x3)

I considered something like a daemonic retinue who he can allocate wounds too, but decided against it.
    The special rule is fairly situational, like I said, and the chances are that in 2000 points or so you aren't going to have a mega amount of lesser daemons to take advantage of his rule, but he has enough other special equipment to make better than an average lord.

His home is apocalypse battles - you could imagine the Grey Knights going all out to kill someone who could summon daemons like that, or the carnage when his army meets another chaos or daemon army with all the daemons fighting around him.

Plus, having him as a former word bearer, with their penchant for daemons, makes it an easy idea to come up with.

My first draft of the psychic test rule had lesser daemons coming on a 2 and a greater daemon on a 12, but figured that was a bit too mean....

It also opens up special campaign or mission scenarios - like an area of psychic activity where every power cast summons some daemons (unlucky eldar), or as mentioned above the big bad =I= going all out to kill him - and it makes the new daemon codex fully usable with a chaos army in apo games.
    I can't say I've seen it all but I live for the things that keep me hollow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x2)

Very nice. I'd like to see someone play test this guy. I have some mission ideas for him, tell me if you're interested. (someone with a lot of Daemons, preferably.)
    "What is Mercy? Does it taste Nice?" Hive Tyrant on Reth V

"Kill-kill! Death to the Enemies of the Horned Rat!" Warlord Bweekq at the Battle of Hrad

+ Reply to Thread