New Eldar Aspect - pictures pending - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    220 (x8)

New Eldar Aspect - pictures pending

I have ressurected an idea I had a few years ago for a new aspect of Khaine, that of the Storm Leopard.

I thought that the Storm Leopard aspect would be like a heavy-infantry equivalent, soemthing similar to the Striking Scorpions, but with a little more "bite"

Stats/armour would be the same as the Scorpions, the key difference is that they are equipped with weaponry to deal with heavily armoured opponents, and don't have the number of attacks that scoprions and banshees have for dealing with numerous enemies.

Storm Leopard:
    Equpiment - plasma arc, leopard's claw, holo-shield

The plasma arc is an assault 1 weapon that follows the rules for plasma pistols, except it does not get hot.

The leopard's claw is a single lightning claw, and follows the same rules as the marine weapon

The holo-shield is a small shield that contains a holo-field emitter, when the Storm Leopards run, they get a 3+ cover save, and in close combat, they can reroll failed armour saves.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    108 (x4)

Those guys would be incredibly expensive to field. They have what is basically a 2+ save in combat and a 3+ invulnerable out of it. Their attack count is pitiful, however, not in keeping with most eldar aspects. I like their rules though. Any fluff like in my aspect?

I'll reserve judgement until i see the models.

D'oh, this looks like my thread from the title.
    Avatar's Arena #3 let the games begin!
    The Outsider And Kae'Tyr-necron fluff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

216 (x7)

so they are like 40 points each?

They were very nasty before the holo shield. The holo shield just makes them over powered.

How about

Storm Leopard 4 4 3 3 1 5 1 8
    Exarch Leopard 5 5 3 3 1 5 2 9
    Unit 1 Exarch and between 4 and 9 Leopards
    Weapons: leopard's claw, plasma pistol, plasma grenades

plasma pistol S6 ap2 range 12" pistol

Leopards claw: 2 handed power weapon that lets the user attack at S5. as it is 2 handed they do not receive +1 attack for ccws

Exarch may be given 2 claws, giving him +1 attack. His plasma pistol will be mounted o his shoulder or arm.
    Exarch and snow leopards have 3+ sv and FoF

Strom leopards are 30 points each, exarch is 45 points.

These guys are expensive and have very little attacks. the attacks that do hit will rarely fail to wound. 3_ sv will keep them safe against light arms and normal attacks and FoF means they can close with the enemy quickly.
    Arch Overfiend & Grand Despot
    I currently play:
    Doom Eagle Space Marines
    Hive Fleet Omega Tyranids
    Goff Ork Boyz(dead)
    Tau of O'me
    Inquisitorial Xeno Hunters

and my attempted foray into fantasy
    'Dark Angel Green' Dark Elves in need of fluff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

Sound like something you'd find in the Eldar codex to be honest.

Over powered, under priced and game breaking.

So... they fit right in the eldar codex. Not sure about the rest of the game though.
    LO Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Anyone who's as loyal and motivated to doing what they love as you are is respectable in my book
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyric
    I'm taking leave of my senses and shall be out of my mind until further notice.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

220 (x8)

Lol - yes it does!! Sorry about that. I actually drew what I would think these boys wouyld look like a good few years ago.
    Of course, they can't use their plasma pistols if they run, but a 3+ "run" inv run save is ok, given the new rules for cover saves make cover pretty much a key component for infantry now. Also, quite a few weapons out there such as flamers and demolisher shells ignore cover.

I also thought about the lack of attacks - these guys are there for striking at heavy enemy units such as armoured infantry, and striking hard, but they aren't there to kill off swarm troopers. Thus the lack of attacks means that they are differentiated from Banshees (who are weaker, but have +1 attack) and scorpions (who don't have power weapons but have 3 attacks base including the mandiblasters)

Didn't see the feedback before I posted this: omegoku - I love those stats - the leapords claw maybe can be like a lihjtning claw in that it can't be used in conjunction with another CCW except another leopards claw, meaning the exarch gets two...

I have to think of a couple of nice Exarch powers as well..
    Last edited by kithre; July 1st, 2008 at 11:22.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

108 (x4)

That's the thing i hate about the rules development forums, everybody will shout cheese, even if you haven't given them a points value. And they're guessing way over points values as well. If we assume they have a 3+ save and no holo-shield, they really aren't that great. They're really slow for eldar, they have the same attacks at the same str as a shining spear both charging, they have a similar ranged attack to the shining spears, but -2 AP and no lance. They have no way of getting up the board quickly. I would say 20 points, and to shut up the "It's eldar! it must be cheese!" people I'll say 22points would be fair without the holoshield. If the holoshield is important to the aspect, give them a 5+ invulnerable and 25points cost. That's a little overcosted in my opinion, but people here seem to hate eldar.

Karmoon, please don't attack the eldar codex here. Post a thread if you must. And nothing without a points value can possibly be overpowered.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    89 (x2)

To keep their points cost down you could, instead of giving them special armor rules, just give them a 4+ invul with no armor, this keeps them fast, still useful, and a bit unique, while still being a reasonable aspect. Just my 2 cents.

Edit: For all nay sayers this is perfectly reasonable for an eldar aspect in my opinion. Dire avengers can get a 4+ invul by their exarch and an autarch or farseer gets this standard. It's just their technology, and with a points cost equal to harlequins this should be perfectly fine. I dont think anyone should argue with this, seeing as these guys do less damage than harlies but offer something unique and fun to the game play.
    Last edited by Dekendo; July 1st, 2008 at 20:34.
    Never apologise for asking questions young seers, through asking
    questions we find answers, and through those answers we gain
    knowledge of ourselves and the universe around us
    -Farseer Marauth
    Meet My Autarch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

216 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by kithre View Post
    Didn't see the feedback before I posted this: omegoku - I love those stats - the leapords claw maybe can be like a lihjtning claw in that it can't be used in conjunction with another CCW except another leopards claw, meaning the exarch gets two...

I have to think of a couple of nice Exarch powers as well..
    Glad you liked it. I was trying to stick to your original plan while making them a reasonable alternative to other aspects. You don't want to create a squad of these guys, work on their rules and then have everyone complain they are overpowered and not let you use them.

The Claw could 'count as powerfist' style weapon or just say that it requires 2 hands (which might contradict the fluff a bit) either way they will not get +1 attack for ccws.
    I think on the charge they will be nasty. 2 S5 power weapons each plus the exarch will have 4 all at an initiative that will hurt everyone short of Genestealers (which is only right).

I was thinking about exarch powers but I'm not sure what would fit.
    Maybe something to enhance the exarchs strength when he needs to take out a very heavy target and something that lets the squad take a scout move or something to get them a bit closer to the enemy

Leopard Strike. The exarch strikes at Init 1 but with a Strenght of 8 for the round of combat, he also loses his +1 attack for 2 weapons as he is focusing on Strength over speed. It must be declared at the start of the round if he is using this technique or not.

Leopards spots. The exarch leads his squad through the dense terrain to close in with the enemy before the battle begins. the Squad may make a scout move before turn 1 starts, but they must remain out of LoS or behind terrain throughout the move.

Finally about their save. It seems unfair to me to have both a invulnerable and regular save. Only HQ units and Terminators, and Tzeentch Squads get this.
    So, if you want to use Holo-field rules then they should either have no armour as the rely on hol field or they should wear light armour (5+ sv maybe)

these are just my thoughts though, do what you think is best
    Arch Overfiend & Grand Despot
    I currently play:
    Doom Eagle Space Marines
    Hive Fleet Omega Tyranids
    Goff Ork Boyz(dead)
    Tau of O'me
    Inquisitorial Xeno Hunters

and my attempted foray into fantasy
    'Dark Angel Green' Dark Elves in need of fluff

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

220 (x8)

Ok, here we go, a full fluff for the Aspect, pictures TBA this weekend:

"My Lord Inquisitor, it is with great relief that I have sourced records from a first contact situation of nearly 300 years ago, where the most splendid forces of the Imperium, led by the Astartes of the DCLVI chapter, the Storm Crows"

VidPicts from a helmet camera feed showing Eldar guardians charging across the field, some cut down by heavy bolter fire. Suddenly the helmet camera cuts, and the image reappears with an Eldar boot and a pool of clotting blood forming next to it. The camera shakes as the wearer struggles to stand, the Eldar foot kicks the head round. The camera looks into a snarling helmet, shaped like a great cat. A powered blade slashes across the screen, and the feed stops.

"That was a rude awakening for the Astartes commander, an Aspect that has only been seen by yourself my Lord?" It was more a question than a statement.

Over 10,000 years of combat with the Eldar, very little about their war-making was not known to Ordo Xenos. Yet this "shadow sect" as many called it, had only been sighted on one battlefield, where Inquisitor Kalin was the sole Imperial survivor, and there was no evidence to corroborate his claims.

"Suffice it to say, all were lost in the battle including the Astartes, but this vidpict was retrieved by an Adeptus Mechanicus explorator fleet several centuries later."

The Inquisitor smiled, the gaps in his teeth more pronounced and making him look almost insane..This vidpict from a battelfield long before he was born would be treasured to his grave.

"No matter, well done, well done! This is the evidence I need to force a conclave of the masters of Ordo Xenos! Now they will believe me, now I will be vindicated! These marines died not in vain, they have helped prove me right!"

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The Storm Leopard aspect is the aspect of Khaine as the hunter in the Dark, the predator who is always hungry for vengeance against the foes of the Eldar. Storm Leopard Aspect temples have been set up and warriors trained across several minor Craft Worlds, probably as a result of the intervention of a shadowy figure known as Manistaur, the Silent Death, who is a hither-to-unkown Phoenix Lord.
    What part this warrior has to play in the Eldar mythos is uncertain, but Manistaur has been seen in the company of other Phoneix Lords, lending his might to their causes in turn, perhaps as a preparation for the last battle...

Storm Leopard Aspects fight wearing suits of heavy, form-fitting armour, with the helmet formed into a snarling cat-like visage. Their melee primary weapon is the Leopard's Claw, a set of mono-molecular edged blades sheathed in a power field, and worn over the wrist in a a similar fashion to the Harlequin's kiss. The blades themselves are sharp enough to pierce most armour, but the power field augments the damage they can inflict, and rips apart heavy armour with ease.

Most of the Aspect warriors carry only one of these weapons, wielding a compact plasma pistol in their other hand. The Exarchs of the Aspect temples have a more aggresive fighting style, and wear a pair of Claws, normally with a shoulder-mounted plasma launcher.

WS BS S T W I A Ld
    Storm Leopard 4 4 3 3 1 5 1 8
    Exarch Leopard 5 5 3 3 1 5 2 9

Equpiment:
    Plasma pistol
    S6 AP2 range 12" pistol

Leopard's Claw: Power weapon that lets the user attack at S5. This may not be used in conjunction with any other close combat weapons except another Leopards Claw to get +1 attack.

The Exarch may be given 2 claws, giving him +1 attack for +5 points.
    His plasma pistol will be mounted on his shoulder or arm.

Storm leopards are 30 points each, exarch is 45 points. They wear Leopard armour (3+ save) AND may Fleet of Foot

Exarch Powers:
    Stalker - the Exarch is expert at leading his men on hidden paths and covered ground when stalking their prey. The squad may roll 3D6 when crossing difficult terrain and pick the best roll.

Hunter - The Exarch may reroll misses in close combat on the turn the squad assaults an enemy unit.

Deathblow - The exarch attacks with initiative 1 but increases his strength to 8
    Last edited by kithre; July 3rd, 2008 at 16:16.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

108 (x4)

this looks pretty good, but i think the cost is too high. Does the exarch auto-receive all those powers? That's quite a lot for +15 pts, if they're free for the exarch the general ones should be given to the squad automatically.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast