Apologies for yet another DIY Codex. Codex: Utopians. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Pedantic Englishman Wolf Lord Herby's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    136 (x4)

Apologies for yet another DIY Codex. Codex: Utopians.

For fluff, see here:
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...regiments.html (The Hounds of Deliverance Chapter, and the Utopian Regiments.)

Codex: Utopians

As Codex: Imperial Guard, with the following modifications.

Special Rules:
    Space Marine Units: No units taken from Codex: Space Marines can count towards any compulsory choices on the Force Organisation Chart. Note a Space Marine Captain can be used to fill a compulsory HQ slot. An army without a Command Platoon may still select Space Marine Veteran Sergeants as advisors.

And They Shall Know No Fear: As in Space Marine FAQ. This rule is confered to Imperial Guard units joined by a Space Marine.

Drop Pod Assault: As in Codex: Space Marines, but any Space Marine Tactical Squads with a Drop Pod count as an Elites choice, and count towards the 0-1 limit on Tactical Squads with a Dedicated Transport.

Highly Mobile: A Utopian army of more than 1000pts may sacrifice 2 Heavy Support slots to take an extra Fast Attack slot. Ie, using the normal Force Organisation Chart, A Utopian army of more than 1000pts may take 4 Fast Attack options, but only 1 Heavy Support.

The List
    HQ
    0-1 Command Platoon (see Codex: Imperial Guard), no Advisors except Space Marine Veteran Sergeants (see below).
    0-1 Space Marine Captain (see below)

Elites
    0-1 Hardened Veterans Squad (see Codex: Imperial Guard)
    0-1 Space Marine Veteran Squad (see Codex: Space Marines)
    0-1 Space Marines Tactical Squad with a Dedicated Transport (see Codex: Space Marines)

Troops:
    As Codex: Imperial Guard.
    0-2 Space Marine Tactical Squads without a Dedicated Transport (see Codex: Space Marines

Fast Attack
    0-1 unit from the following list: Assault Squad, Bike Squadron. (see Codex: Space Marines)
    0-1 Land Dragon Riders Squadron (see below)

Heavy Support

Added Units
    0-1 Space Marine Captain: 60 pts
    WS:5 BS:5 S:4 T:4 W:2 I:5 A:3 Ld: 9 Sv: 3+
    Options: May select equipment from the Space Marine Armoury, with the usual restrictions.
    Special Rules: Independent Character, And They Shall Know No Fear, Rites of Battle (see Codex: Space Marines. Note: only affects units taken from Codex: Space Marines).

0-5 Space Marine Veteran Sergeants: 40pts/model
    WS:4 BS:4 S:4 T:4 W:1 I:4 A:2 Ld: 9 Sv: 3+
    Equipment: Bolt Pistol and Close Combat Weapon.
    Options: May select equipment from the Space Marine Armoury, with the usual restrictions.
    Special Rules: Advisors (see Codex: Imperial Guard), And They Shall Know No Fear.

Land Dragon Rider Squadron: 25pts/model
    WS:3 BS:3 S:3 T:3(4) W:1(2) I:4 A:1(2) Ld: 7 Sv: 4+
    Unit Size: 1-5
    Equipment: Laspistol.
    Options: for +10pts, 1 Land Dragon Rider may be upgraded to a Master Handler. A Master Handler has A:2(3) and Ld:8, and may select equipment from the Imperial Guard Armoury, with the usual restrictions. He is not an Officer.
    Special Rules: Land Dragon Mounts (see below).

Land Dragon Mounts: A unit with the Land Dragon Mounts Special Rule has the following additional Special Rules:
    - Moves as Cavalry.
    - Gains +1 Toughness, Wound and Attack (these are included in the profile for the Land Dragon Rider Squadron. Note that the original Toughness of 3 is used for calculating Instant Death).
    - May only use 1 Weapon (single- or double-handed)at any time, though this may change between phases.

Any and all comments and criticisms warmly welcomed, this is my first attempt at a DIY Codex.

Last edited by Wolf Lord Herby; July 24th, 2008 at 02:23.
    FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    216 (x7)

As much as I would love to have a Space marine army with 3 Leman Russes and a few squads of Meat sheilds to protect them, it shouldn't be done.
    The game designers specifically disallowed this kind of thing in the Inquisitor Codii, it is just a bit over powered when you can combine them.

I love the idea of having a few squads of guard in a trench, firing away, with a handful of marines walking the lines, helping fallen soldiers, inspiring the men to work harder and generally being awesome. But A guard army with assault marines is just nasty, you effectivly cover the weakness of each army so they become very tough to deal with.

But, I feel I am overly harsh, as the idea is sound and I haven't read your fluff.
    So, assuming you can't play at apocalypse level, I will comment a bit.

Make it a Guard army, with support from marines. Not a mish mash of the best of both worlds.
    Basically, you must take a new doctrine called marine advisors. Cannot be taken alongside Abhumans or Xeno Mounts

-This allows you to take up to 3 Tactical squad as an Elites choice each for your army, they may not use Guard transport and vice versa, and cannot use Ld bubbles or Iron Discipline, etc. They cannot use drop pods unless the Guard units are using drop troops.

-You may take 0-5 Space Marine Sergents as Advisors, assigned as normal. They are armed with chainsword and bolt pistol, may be upgraded to Veterans and given wargear as normal.

-You may take one Captain and he does not count as the compulsory HQ choice, his Ld rules only affect Marines and he cannot lead squads of Guard

-Guard models do not gain ATSKNF, but may add +1 to Ld when within 12" of a SM squad.
    Should a SM asquad be wiped out with 12" of a IG squad, that squad must take an immediate LD test or fall back.
    Arch Overfiend & Grand Despot
    I currently play:
    Doom Eagle Space Marines
    Hive Fleet Omega Tyranids
    Goff Ork Boyz(dead)
    Tau of O'me
    Inquisitorial Xeno Hunters

and my attempted foray into fantasy
    'Dark Angel Green' Dark Elves in need of fluff

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    220 (x8)

I'd argue that taking a better way of representing this (which is effectively like the Ultramar PDF) is to allow each Command Platoon, to take a single marine advisor as an upgrade - a Veteran sarge with FULL access to the marine inventory, and who actually DOES sit in the chain of command, as lets face it, the Ultramar Guard during the Battle of Macragge were actually led by the marines of teh 1st Company who were assigned to bolster their morale and discipline whilst defending the polar fortresses.

Of course, Guard doctrines should not affect the Marine. I like the doctrine "Marine Advisors" and excluding abhumans and Xenos as, after all, marines are VERY intolerant in general of anything perceived as a Xenos or mutant, which Ogryns, Beastmen and Ratlings are.

Pedantic Englishman Wolf Lord Herby's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    136 (x4)

OK, a basic outline of the fluff for those who cba to read it : Space marine Chapter gets mauled in Eye of Terror, only ~200 left, gets granted by the Governer of their homeworld 4 Regiments to command, to bring them back to combat effectiveness.

And just to calrify, I came up with the fluff before deciding I wanted an army like this, this isn't just to allow me to take Space Marines in an IG army. I was originally going to use LatD.. but Traitor units... they're pitiful echoes of IG, lol. And I don't have the CSM Codex, lol.

And maybe I have overdone the Space Marine Squads.. in my fluff the Marines have mostly been incorporated into the Guard Command structure.. Though they occasionally form dedicated hit-and-run squads.

OK.... I want to keep the SM Captain, as it doesn't make sense for only Sergeants to be present... but I'll take out that he can count as a compulsory choice.

Guard cannot use any Doctrines.

May select 0-2 Tactical or Veteran Squads as Elites choices.

Same restrictions on Guard units as before, but Guard cannot take Conscripts.

Oh, and Land Dragon Rider Veteran Sergeants may select equipment with the same restrictions as Rough Rider Veteran Sergeants.

EDIT: I forgot to add Wolfhound Packs... (see fluff)

Not sure where to put these, they're just Chaos Hounds/Fenrisian Wolves (both have same stats and points cost, from EoT Codex). Maybe Troops, to replace Conscripts?

0-1, doesn't fulfil a compulsory slot.
    Wolfhound Pack: 10Pts/model
    WS:4 BS: 0 S:4 T:4 W:1 I:4 A:2 Ld: 8 Sv: 6+
    Unit Size: 5-10
    Equipment: Vicious Teeth, and Killer Instinct.
    Special Rules: Move as Cavalry.
    Last edited by Wolf Lord Herby; July 24th, 2008 at 12:07.
    FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC

+ Reply to Thread