Simple Moral and CnC alternatives. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    36 (x1)

Simple Moral and CnC alternatives.

Hi all.
    In my series of speculative 'what if we did it this way?' posts.
    I would like to put forward some ideas on how we could handle moral and command and control issues.

If we gave all units a moral grade.(Works like LD but simpler.)
    Best units (fanatical/ elites )are moral grade 1, worst units(cowardly /stupid/conscripts,) on moral grade 5.
    To pass a 'moral check' you have to roll over the units moral grade.

Positive modifiers add to the moral dice roll.

Negative modifiers add to the unit moral grade.

EG
    Unit has suffered over 25% casualties.+1 to moral grade.
    Unit has suffered over 50% casualties.+2 to moral grade.
    Unit is supressed.+1 to moral grade,
    Unit is neutralised.+2 to moral grade.

How much the unit fails the Moral check by determines the moral damage the unit takes.
    Fail by, moral efect.
    Up to 2, Supressed.(Shaken)
    3 to 4 , Neutralised,(Stunned.)
    5+ Routed(Run away!!!)

The ability to command units is given by a Command Value.
    This has a range,(to show how far the unit leader/character can communicate, ) and a value to show how much influence the unit leader/character has.

EG
    An IG senior officer could have a Command Value of 18" /3.
    Up to 3 units taking a moral check within 18'' of the senior officer can add up to 3 to thier moral check rolls.(3units can add 1, 2 units could add 1and2, one unit could add 3)
    Junior officers could be CV 12"/2
    Vet sergeants CV 12" /1
    Sergeants CV 6"/1.

The CV range is also how far the unit can send or recive communications. Hand on targets to other freindly units,make artillery /air strike requests.
    CV value is used to modify artillery scatter if the unit is used as a F.O.O.(Must have a 'command chain' to artilery or highest CV HQ.)

D6 roll.
    5 or 6 on target,
    4 ,2D6 to the left.
    3 ,2D6 to the right.
    2 2D6 long .
    1 2 D6 short.

(And to modify reseve rolls too.)

I probably have not explained that very well.

Ill try to expand on and explain better ,anything you think needs clarifying .

TTFN
    Lanrak.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x1)

MY BRAIN!! RAGHHHH!!

So.. if i am in 18" of my commander, but at only 25% strength i am as likely to pass as a highly trained warrior in a full squad?

or have i got it wrong?

and that means you are gonna go through and give values for all the units in warhammer?
    and does this sytem count for pinning, or just for fall back leadership tests?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    36 (x1)

HI mellr0.
    The idea is NOT to be used with current 40k rules.
    There is no pinning, or fall back.
    Just check for moral when , testing for supression, loosing an assault, attempting to rally.

Yes, some commanders inspire lowly grunts to acts of bravery.(Yarrick.)And some HQ control lower level creature directly , (Nids.)
    Not all HQ units have to be multi wound close combat monsters....

Yes, I intend commanders to be pivotal to execution of the battle plan and squad leaders to IC all have thier part to play.

And if '3-1=4.Roll a dice and add 3 to result,if the result is more than 4 you pass.'
    'Hurts your head', then my ideas for a new rule set are not realy for you.

The idea reflects actual command and control systems used in real warfare in a very basic way.

And converting LD to moral grade for units in 40k would take hardly any effort.

Just some basic ALTERNATIVE ideas for discussion, not to be used with current 40k rules.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x1)

not all hq units are multi wound close combat monsters (Necron lord, Eldar farseers and autarchs and imperial guard leaders).

You definately have your work cut out for you. I can think of a dozen units that alter enemy morale as well as their own. Orks are going to require some serious revamp to work on your system. I'm guessing fearless will be just the same as before.

i have no true love of 40k morale systems, but having played a couple of other systems such as flames of war, i find it to be highly effective for the game itself. There is no real life comparison for beings that inspire the feeling of sickness, and dread in people. Nor are there equivelents of superhumans invested with daemonic entities, enslaved to the will of giant psychic gods, so it pretty much becomes mute when discussing reality within the games system.
    I wish you luck in you endevour, though.
    If anyone believes on telekinesis, raise my hand!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    36 (x1)

HI mellr0.

I do not intend to try to accuratley model psychological effects that take place only in the imagination of the gamer.
    But use a very simple simulation of real world military command and control systems.

And I did NOT say all HQs were Multi wound close combat monsters.
    BUT suggested they do not need to have multi wounds and be great at close combat if the rule set lets them direct and control the battle in a more intelegent way if appropriate.

There are lots of great rule sets out there.Most seem to have ideas and game mechanics that could work very well for the 40k game.
    I am just posting a few ideas to get some feed back.

If the basic mechanics are solid and straightforward.Maybe its possible to get a simpler to learn, but far more tactical game of 40k for those that may like this sort of game.

TTFN
    Lanrak.

+ Reply to Thread